Should positive rewards and benefits, such as candy and video games, be a part of prison reform at all?

• Yes, I believe that positive rewards and benefits should be part of prison reform.

I believe that enforcing positively instead of negativity can lead to better results then the other way around, I believe we need to be encouraging prisoners to change their lives around and work towards good instead of breaking the law since most of the prisoners will eventually be back into society and should take positive lessons they learned in prison with them.

• Yes, it should be.

If there are ways to get prisoners to behave more civilly while they are incarcerated, these ideas should be implemented. I do not see why not. Especially if these are non-violent offenders who will soon return to the world. No need to punish everyone equally. I think this is a good idea.

• No there should not be positive rewards such as candy or video games as part of prison reform.

Prison is an institution intended to punish individuals for their wrongdoings. Providing prisoners with rewards is likely to lead to more complacency of being in prison, rather than the person seeking to do things to stay out of prison. Giving prisons more rewards adds an additional cost burden to taxpayers. The best reward a prisoner can receive is freedom.

• NOt at all

No, I think that when you are in prison that you need to be given the most harsh treatment that you could possibly be given, and that then the people would stop doing what they are doing. I think that if you reward them they do not learn a lesson.

• Prisoners should receive rewards for good behavior, but not candy or video games.

I believe that prisoners should be given rewards for good behavior. Little things can go a long way in shaping a person's behavior, which is what we want to do in prison. These people usually end up back in society and we need to do all we can to mold them into good, normal people before we let them out. However, junk food and video games shouldn't be used as rewards. This is because they don't lead to sustainable happiness, but just cause temporary joy. We need to help prisoners find lasting, sustainable happiness so that they are better able to cope with life, instead of turning to crime or drugs.