Should President Obama have the right to kill anyone?

• Yes, he should have the right to.

But that doesn't mean he should exercise it, and there should always be cause for such acts. Like killing Bin Laden, that's a good cause. Stopping terrorism is foreign countries with drone strikes, that's good cause. But killing an average ordinary citizen, no. He has better judgment than that, rest your minds. Obama is no idiot.

• At least in one sense that the word "anyone" could mean

The question is ambiguous. You could read it in one of two ways:

"anyone" meaning you would answer "yes" if you thought he had the right to kill at least certain people and "no" if you thought he had no right to kill anyone at all. In this sense I would say "yes" because the president has the right to kill known terrorists and other dangerous criminals who threaten our national security if apprehending them isn't feasible or even to order bombings of threats to national security even when regrettably there is a high risk of civilian casualties.

Or

"anyone" meaning you would answer "yes" if you thought he had the right to kill anyone he chooses and "no" if you thought there were any people at all who he had no right to kill. In which case I would say "no" as the president does not have the right to kill based on his whim. This is why I am picking the "no" column since in at least one sense that "anyone" can be used I would have to say "no".

Linguists I have a question, are there any languages that would clearly mark this sort of distinction?

• The President Has Limits Too

Barack Obama should not have the right or the power to kill any and everyone he wants to. If someone gets that type of power it will lead to nothing but evil. Even the president should have limitations. We cannot have him out there just killing everyone he holds a grudge against.

• No, President Obama should not have the right to kill anyone.

I believe that everyone has the right to be proven wrong. Even so, I don't believe that death is a penalty that I would approve as a means of justice. It doesn't seem conceivable to me in regards to ending someone's life. A human is invaluable. So killing them doesn't really solve anything. To return to the question specifically, President Obama's rank or elevation as a class does not grant him the right to kill anyone.

• No way

I think everyone agrees that President Obama should not have the right to kill anyone he pleases for any reason he wants. I think what the question means is, "Should Obama have the right to order drone strikes on American citizens who have taken up arms against us in a foreign army?" Even then, I still say no. There is no accountability in this process. We the people would have no way of knowing how these decisions are made, what the criteria are for declaring someone an enemy combatant, or have any way of subjecting this to checks and balances.