Should President Obama sign an executive order requiring businesses who work with the government to disclose details of political contributions they have made?

• The American People have the Right to Know

Americans should be able to know who is buying and manipulating their democratic process. Money and corporate power has influenced politics for such a long time and it is the reason our politicians are spineless. Our representatives are more concerned with their image and their money than effectively representing the American people. I have no problem with donations and endorsements being made, but the American people have the right to know why a politician is making their decisions.

• I think so

Transparency is always a good idea. If a company makes donations to political candidates and they do contract work for the government, I think it's a very good idea to have full disclosure. I think Obama has good intentions with this executive order. I don't think this is a hindering type of legislation.

• Obama is nearing the end of his term and should not create controversy

The pressures to disclose details of political contributions come from public interest groups, unions and corporations as a result of recent court decisions relaxing federal campaign finance regulations. It is normal for some sectors to distrust the government. Eventually, political leaders must be accountable to the nation, as in the Presidential Address. Eventually contributions are reported. If there are limits on federal political contributions, then small businesses and small organizations will not feel so threatened.

• He should not

This is a little to much in my opinion. I don't believe that a company should have to notify the government who they made a contribution to. I almost think that a move like this could discourage a business from making a future contribution. They might shy away knowing there could be some backlash from the media.

• No, Obama Should Not Sign an Executive Order Requiring Disclosure

Businesses working with the government often make political contributions to raise their esteem in the eyes of the government. Although this practice is contrary to the principles of transparency, and ethical purchasing, the contributions have been made legally under the current regulatory system. If the president want better disclosure, he should change the system for future contributions.