• Yes, prisons should focuse on rehabilitation.

Rehabilitation should be a key part of any prison. Prison is there to keep unsafe people off the street but it is not effective just to give them a short sentence then send them back out thinking the same thing they already did. They should be given proper help to move past their wrong doings.

• No they should not

Good morning Honorable judges, patient timekeepers, Mr. /Ms. Moderator, worthy opponents, interested onlookers and Ms. Sims. Be it resolved that (BIRT) prisons should focus on rehabilitation. My partner, Rachel, and I firmly believe that this resolution must fall. Here are my main three points: rehabilitation is more like a reward, rehabilitation is very expensive and, it doesn’t work

Rehabilitation doesn’t work. What is the point of the criminal justice system if we don’t use it? That is, what’s the point of prison if we don’t use it? The point of the criminal justice system is to punish public offenders, not to reward them for committing crimes. Rehabilitation is a waste of time and money because rehab makes life easier. Why should criminals be treated with kindness and respect when the have just killed a person –hurting the person they killed, their family and their friends. Why should innocent people be hurt, and not the guilty people? Ok, so you might argue that, if they have a mental disease, then the crime would not be their fault. Well maybe their parents should go to prison for not taking proper care of them. Oh wait, I forgot that not all criminals have a mental disease, in fact,

-Why should taxpayers pay for the rehabilitation of a person that has committed a crime? People abiding by the U.S. Laws should not be responsible for these people. If they want to go to rehab, people should choose if they want to or not. What is the point of jail if people go in knowing they will get it easy? During most rehabilitation programs and vocational classes, most inmates simply planned for their next crime. Of course some may take advantage of these things, but the percentage is extremely low. When a jury passes a judgment, and the judge hands out a sentence, the sentence is a punishment. I have no problem with rehabilitation, however let’s keep in mind the primary purpose for prison. It is to protect the citizens from criminals, and to punish those convicted of crimes. Rehabilitation should be a secondary concern.

Also, most criminals are reported to have used their time in rehabilitation to plan their next crime or to plan their escape from prison.

For these reasons I believe this resolution must fall. I now stand for cross- examination.