• These Websites should be some what censored.

I think that the websites can still be up but you have to put up a password to get to the site and the password would be hard to access. These sites are encouraging people to slowly kill themselves. If you have an eating disorder get professional help. Don't listen to the "advice" on the sites. If you do you are slowly killing yourself

• Yes, we should stop pro-ana sites.

The way for an addict to recover is not to give him tips on where to buy his drug. In the same sense, for an anorexic to overcome his or her sickness, they should not be given a source where others encourage harmful behaviors or worse, help the sick person achieve their nearly fatal goal. While I understand the desire to have others who share the same views, I also believe that these pro-anorexia websites do far more harm than help. Anorexia nervosa is a disease. There are steps to be taken to overcome the illness; there are professionals who can help. Perhaps, like Al Anon, there can be a group where those who share the same sickness can communicate in a safe environment, thus fulfilling the need for talking to like-minded people. Pro-anorexia sites cannot and will not help sick ones.

I hope they seek help in the right places. I hope they find it.

• Good God Yes

These sites list ways for people to starve themselves. Anyone who thinks they should be out there for young people to see are sick and twisted. Anorexia is an illness and people suffering from it need help to RECOVER. What they don't need is a website telling them it's a healthy lifestyle choice, telling them they're fat and they need to be stick thin to be happy. These sites are disgraceful and should be banned.

• Please yes.

I have seen many pro-ana websites and I find them to be extremely triggering. To someone who is going though recovery, this can cause someone to relapse. Not only does it create a doorway for young girls to develop eating disorders, it glamorizes them and even lists ways you can starve yourself. I think they are morally wrong and are a harm to society.

• Good lord yes.

Personally pro-ana websites fueled my ED. Eating disorders can be competitive - who weighs least, who eats least, who exercises most. They spread tips, tricks & disturbing and unhealthy images of women. They prevent girls from wanting to recover, they spread rumors about what will happen if you recover, they make you believe that it's a perfectly sustainable way of life, they glamorize eating disorder and are absolutely disgusting . They are full of some very sick people and they're all only making each other worse.

• Yes, pro-anorexia websites should be censored

Anorexia is a mental disorder/disease. It takes a severe toll on both body and mind, not only to the sufferer, but to the sufferer's friends and family. Why let the exposure of this disorder proliferate by supporting pro-anorexia websites? While I believe in free speech, the thought of supporting a website such as this correlates in my mind with websites that would be in support of alcoholism or pedophilia. Sicknesses should not be spread.

• Absolutely,maybe add a disclaimer?

These websites promote unhealthy eating habits and a horrible message. Lose weight to be deemed pretty by society. There are healthy ways to lose weight,these aren't. I understand there is freedom of speech however,these websites could be improved,if they were blogs to support people suffering with this disease,and helping them find a way to recover and offering resources survivors have used to get better.

• Yes they should be banned these sites are disgusting

It is not just people over 18 who view these sites children as young as 10, even 8 view them and they see the pictures of starved girls and begin to see themselves as "fat" which is just sad, nobody should they they are fat just because their bones aren't showing. The thing that really scares me is some people call it a religion which is just horrible. Anorexia is dangerous and sick and it's practically a death sentence. I feel very sorry for pro-ana people, they are sick and sad people who look like they've come out of a concentration camp, its disgusting. Why would it ever be good to look at a site that promotes death or a life-threatening mental illness? So of course this is bad and extremely unhealthy. The people who run these sites are usually mentally unstable and it sickens me to see how these people make an eating disorder look like a positive thing, like a "lifestyle" this is a disorder. Many of these girls will grow up to have osteoporosis or die before they even can become old. I despise how these sites glorify anorexia because the physical effects are terrible, these girls can develop infertility, brain damage, muscle loss, fainting, and constipation or difficulty doing something as simple as passing a bowel movement, not to mention these girls hair will become thin and brittle and their skin will be pale and dry, these sites say you will be beautiful and thin and sometimes post girls who clearly workout and eat properly and are giving girls an unrealistic view on what starving will give you which is sickening, when in reality what will happen is you will look as if you are dying because you are. Another disgusting thing is how popular these sites are, go to Google and type in anorexia and the first suggestions will be Anorexia Tumblr, or Anorexia Tips which is just terrible to see that obviously these sites are frequently viewed by many and are becoming more popular. I live in america so there are quite a bit of people who are obese but it doesn't mean there aren't girls and children who view these sites here to. I just wish these sites would go away because they need to be stopped.

• Yes they should.

The websites are harmful to your health and are promoting eating disorders. Eating disorders are scary and harmful diseases that no one should want. It's almost as if the makers of the websites are saying: here's how to have an eating disorder and an unhealthy life. Most pro-anorexics are young teens and girls. And NO girl should feel the need to have an eating disorder in order to be what society calls skinny.

• I feel that censoring wouldn't eradicate pro ana, but it would help.

I have seen pro ana websites. There is one in particular that I HATE. I will not name it, but here is a lowdown of the content of the site.

DISCLAMER - All of these stupid sites start with a disclaimer, which is usually very long winded. Basically, it says, “If you get an ED from this site it's not my fault."

TIPS - ways to embrace your ana. This part gets the flame mail, but there are worse bits.

DIETS - different diets. Not normal ones, ones where consuming 500 CALS is huge.

THINSPO - this is the bit that scares me. Pictures of girls, emaciated by EDs, that ana or mia people see as their ideal figure. I see pictures of stick thin, depressed, unhealthy people, yet you see people commenting things like “Oh, what role models! We look up to you!"

ANA RELIGION - this freaks me out. Basically, twisted versions of the psalms, gospel, Nicene creed and ten commandments, all to do with EDs. This isn't the freaky part. The freaky part is "The Summoning of Ana" which is creepy. I won't go into details.

Would a parent like their child to see these things? No. I have commented on the site MANY times, only to be met with nonsense such as "Bones are beautiful" and harsh sentences such as "Go away, you mean old cow!"

People DIE because of pro ana. Yet people think that it's OK to make a site dedicated to it? Pro ana needs to go. And when it does, just watch the amount of people with EDs fall.

In the meantime, parents should add filters to PCs blocking these sites. Sure, inappropriate websites are bad, but lethal ones should be hidden forever.

• Research Papers from 3 Nations: ProAna Sites Have BENEFIT/Positive Impact Overall!

I've been researching ‪ProAna‬ for over 12 years and my conclusions are these: What goes on in these communities — how they view ED's and those seeking to cultivate pathology — is very different from how they are portrayed in the media. If one steps away from reactionary revulsion and examines what actually goes on in a ProAna Community, one finds that the majority of sites correlate with recent study data suggesting that such sites are not so bad. ProAna was conceived for eating disorder (ED) sufferers, by ED sufferers as an empowerment strategy; not some weird cult in which to deny the seriousness and reality of ones illness, and certainly not to recruit others to pathology. In fact, most are vehemently opposed to 'wanarexic' individuals looking for tips or to cultivate an ED. The vast majority of those identifying as ProAna are well aware that ED's are serious mental illnesses. As for those who think recovery sites are adequate, know this: current treatment modalities fail the vast majority of ED sufferers in the long-term (60-75% failure rate at best estimates). These illnesses are insidious and very difficult to cope with. Conventional recovery sites are so censored (lest a member 'trigger' another via mention of numbers or a negative thought regarding the ED experience) that opening up about this very private, personal subject is all the more difficult. The ProAna Movement is best interpreted by the context in which it began: ProACTIVE In Anorexia [and other ED's.] The "lifestyle" concept is nothing more than an empowering symbol of rejection of victim mentality — it was never meant to be interpreted literally.
    For more information, see the following:
    RESEARCH ARTICLES
    Pro-anorexia blogs may not be as harmful as we think, says study
    http://www.Cbc.Ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-september-16-2015-1.3230092/pro-anorexia-blogs-may-not-be-as-harmful-as-we-think-says-study-1.3230129
    IU Researchers: Primary motivation of many was to seek social support and deal with stigma, not promote a 'lifestyle'
    http://newsinfo.Iu.Edu/news/page/normal/22967.Html
    What Really Goes On In ProAna Communities? (Maybe They're Not So Bad After All):
    http://www.Scienceofeds.Org/…/what-really-goes-on-inside-p…/
    Why Banning ProAna Is A Bad Idea: http://www.scienceofeds.org/…/why-banning-pro-ana-is-a-bad…/
    Banning ProAna Websites? Not A Good Idea... http://www.bodyspacesociety.eu/…/the-toothpaste-effect-of-…/
    VIDEOS
    The Fallacy Of Censorship: Why I Oppose Blocking ProAna, Thinspiration Tags On Social Media Sites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XobnF9uXNNI
    Full playlist of ProAna Research videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBF4E461C499C72E9

• People on Pro-Ana Websites Don't Glamorize The Eating Disorder

I had an eating disorder a few years ago, and I was a member of various pro-anorexia websites. I was on for quite a while, a few years, now that I think of it, and I had never seen anyone advertise the eating disorder t others as a good thing or say it was glamorous. They mostly talk to each other about how to deal with the disorder. I have actually seen many people from the website recognize that they were in a dangerous position and quit altogether. It is basically a support group.

• What's the point?!

Censoring the websites wont really change anything because the determined will continue to put up sites and images to "inspire" people. If you tried to censor, i highly doubt it would work. Anyone who posts these sights are just going to continue. They'll use different words to get around the word blocks and might even just keep going. It's useless.

• It's a mental state

It's a mental state , there gonna do if you take the the triggering side of it away ! The triggers aren't triggering people who haven't done it before ! The only thing that triggers them is if it is a direct message like
    YOUR FAT ! Over and over again !!! As I said its a mental state it ain't going to help no one !

• Just don't censor.

One part of me says yes, pro-ana is evil and poisonous and it's existance is harmful to any who visit it. Another part of me says while pro-ana is all of that, censoring sites is a tricky slope. If you censor those sites what's to stop anyone who doesn't like anything from getting anything censored. So while I feel a lot of disdain towards pro-ana, regrettably I'd have to say no they shouldn't be censored.

• Just don't censor.

• Anything can be harmful

If pro-anorexia websites are banned because they are harmful, then any website with potentially harmful information should be banned as well. There are obvious dangers letting vulnerable people access this kind of information but there are also many not so obvious benefits as others of stated. We as humans should not limit what information people can access, but help others understand all aspects of a subject.

• Anything can be harmful

• Its called freedom.

Anyone should be able to do and say what they want. Its their life, not yours. Yeah i agree some of the content on some of the websites shouldnt be there but they are. Those websites lets them know that they fit in. They're probably used to being the only one they know with a ED. They can go to these websites to be around people who understand them and know what they are going through. They dont have to be afraid, I dont fully support ED but im not ignorant.

• Eating disorders are isolating and terrifying - don't take away our only place to be ourselves!

First of all, no amount of googling 'proana' can magically make you mentally ill. Anyone who 'catches' an eating disorder from a website was probably going to get one anyway, normal people literally cannot just decide to quit eating forever, so please don't act like we're contagious.

All mental illnesses can be incredibly isolating - if you're not hiding from judgement, you're afraid of treatment destroying your personality. Anorexia in particular is a very lonely illness - not just because of the separation that comes from knowing you are flawed, but because everyone can see it. And trust me, they will judge you - our society may have learnt it's not okay to mock someone for being overweight, but if you are underweight you'll never hear the end of the nasty jokes and backhanded compliments. But in the proana community, there is acceptance. Here, you are not a freak in a halloween skeleton costume - you are a person, finally your life means more than the gap between your thighs. Because that's how it feels, being constantly poked and prodded by doctors; like you've become some sci-fi experiment, nothing to see here but a freak without fat. As hard as they tried, I never felt like a person to them.

What you need to understand is that there are many kinds of proana sites, ranging from those that literally worship 'the Goddess Anorexia' to places for people to seek help without the incredibly strict rules found at most recovery sites (where mentioning your weight is often enough to get you banned). While some are nothing more than a glamorization of a horrific illness, there are dozens of sites that change lives for the better, but would get shut down for daring to call themselves proana.

Of course, aside from that there's the issue of freedom of speech. But that argument should be left to people a lot smarter than me.

Simply put, if you think proana sites are harmful, you've either been looking at the wrong ones or been looking at them as someone who isn't desperate for people to notice she's more than a bag of bones.