Should products which lighten or whiten people's skin be banned?

Asked by: Ildana
  • Yes, I agree

Yes these products should be banned because they indirectly discriminate the races that have darker skin tone. For instance, that is an argument in India due to the Fair and Lovely advertisement. “The advertisement showed a young, dark-skinned girl's father lamenting he had no son to provide for him, as his daughter's salary was not high enough - the suggestion being that she could neither get a better job or get married because of her dark skin.” This advertisement has an overwhelming responces.

• The products are potentially dangerous

Most skin lightening products contain a lot of chemicals which can harm and damage an individual's skin. Skin lightening products often work by removing a layer of melanin as according to analysis. It strips off cells; in this case, it is also stripping off nutrients that your skin needs. This is very unhealthy for the skin.

• Despite the fact that having whiter skin may improve a person’s self-esteem, these products can have negative effects.

Regarding health, there are reports that people are harming their skin permanently as some products bought over the counter have prescription-strength ingredients. For instance, some contain steroids or toxins which can severely damage the skin and other parts of the body. Also each year many people die out of the Vitiligo, a disease which is similar to skin cancer caused by over using whitening products.
    In my opinion these “medicines” should be banned as the drawbacks of this are clear.

• High risk of skin cancer and sets a bad example for children

Like I said in my headline, it gives a high risk of skin cancer. Also, it sets a very bad example for the children because they will grow up to think that lighter skin is beautiful. Just think about it, what would happen in the future when almost everyone starts using these products on their skin? It will cause more racism than we already have today and also, it will make the precentage of people who have skin cancer go way up. We all need to learn that we don't need our skin lightened to be "beautiful." We need to stop brainwashing children. Anyone notice how their attitude is getting worse and worse over the years, which brings me to the next point: people are trying to stop bullying but how can they stop bullying if all these people are influencing them to lighten their skin. They will probably make fun of someone who has dark skin, which will make the person who has dark skin to lighten his/her skin and it will keep on going in a chain if we keep this up. This needs to stop.

• High risk of skin cancer

I think they should be banned because it gives a high risk of skin cancer. Also, they are setting a bad example for younger children. It will brainwash them to think that lighter skin is prettier than darker skin. They need to except the way they are. Just think about what the future would be like when almost everyone is using the products. We don't want racism to start again.

• Yes, it should be banned.

It should be banned because there is a dangerous chemical called mercury which is toxic. This chemical can give you emotional changes (mood swings, irritabilty, nervousness, and excessive shyness), insomia (inability to sleep), neuromuscular changes (weakness, twitching), and headaches. The worst situations is kidney effects, respiratory failure, memory loss, mental disturbances, and death.

• People Have The Right To Change Themselves

People can dye their hair, paint their nails, etc. Why shouldn't they be able to change their skin color? They should be aware of the possible dangers associated with these products, just like if they were to smoke. People can choose how to spend their money, no matter how it might affect them.

• They cause far less harm than a great many legal substances.

Tanning is far more dangerous to the health than skin lightening procedures- and FAR more prevalent in our society. The prevalence of melanoma and other skin cancers is shooting through the roof, and sadly in very young women as the primary patient.
    We also don't ban alcohol or tobacco, which also reach a far higher audience and kill more people. For that matter we don't ban fatty or sugary foods, which are worse for a person and in far wider circulation.

• It's Our Choice

I get that they aren't necessarily high on the benefits/ethics list, but they shouldn't be banned. My main reason for believing so is that America is based off of a free enterprise market. This allows us to buy whatever we want if we have the money to do so. So, if we're going to allow these products to be banned, what else is considered ethical to ban?

On a less extreme scale, we should only be able to control our own lives, other people should be free to make their own desicions on things. Now, terrorism, murders, etc. Need to be managed by a government system, but things such as makeup, should be a choice left to the consumer. I personally don't care to purchase or use them, but it isn't my choice whether or not someone else wants to. It's like people who smoke, they're allowed to, but its damaging their body every time they use it. But can I just tell them to stop? No. It's a thing called options. But because this is a semi-racial issue I think that we're a little more edgy on whether or not this should be permitted. I understand that, but we need to view this as we would like getting a tattoo. The effects are harmful to your body, but we allow people to get them because it's their choice.

So in essence, I feel that whitening makeup should be permitted, and not banned. My main point is that we live in a society built off of free enterprise, and we should abide by that.

• Is there a need for this?

60 years ago the youths of my grandmother’s generation used to defiantly state that only things they were obligated to do, were stay black and die. Now, in this day and age of technological and chemical advancement, staying black is just a matter of personal resolve. Personally, I don’t think that banning those products will change the situation. Nobody forces you to buy them, people do it consciously

jessningstom says2013-09-17T13:40:03.957