• No true home ownership

As long as one has to pay property tax no one will ever own their home- they will simply lease it from the government. You can have your entire house paid off, but never completely. Just like in "Goodfellas." Can't come up with your regular payment to Paulie? F-U! Pay me! And what about us dinks that have to pay for someone else to have a litter of kids and expect others to pick up the tab. And to cover the argument that someone paid for me to go to public school- I'll compromise and pay property tax for 12 years and then be done.

• Property Tax--An Unreasonable Unjustifiable Destructive Burden

Property tax can unfairly turn the "American Dream" of home-ownership into a nightmare of home-forfeiture and homelessness. It seems to erroneously link home-ownership to income and revenue. In reality, some homeowners, particularly retirees, have little or no income. Some depend solely on social security benefits. Consequently, many have to take out loans to pay property taxes, thereby becoming more exposed to home-forfeiture. Despite their difficulties, they are unconscionably burdened annually with property taxes--town tax and school tax. This unjustifiable tax must be abolished.

• FIRST STEP: decriminalize non-payment of property tax

The low hanging fruit here is to decriminalize.

In other words: make it ILLEGAL for government to seize the homes of Americans for reasons of non-payment of property tax (or any other tax).

It seems much more difficult to approach the issue by trying to abolish the property tax outright. It's much more obvious to people that they should have the right to truely own their homes -- which implies that nobody has the right to seize someone's home and make them homeless.

Decriminalize non-payment first. OUTLAW home seizures.

• Property Tax is an inequitable levy

Property taxes pay for libraries, hospitals , emergency services, and mostly education (as much 80%). Why should some members of the community contribute and others not. The argument that homeowners have more money is unsupportable. This tax is a disincentive for middle- and lower-income citizens to invest. Likewise the argument that home investor can simply raise rent to pay their taxes shows ignorance of economic trends. The market controls rental rates with the property owner having little control. Essentially, someone who chooses to buy a home or two to rent out as a business is triple taxed: on the income, via property tax, and on capital gains (if there is a gain). No other occupation is so burdened. While both income and capital gains have a basis in paying on what you earn, property tax is without foundation and is essentially unconstitutional (dare I say extortion).

• Property tax abolished

Why should people pay more for everything any how we pay 30% of our salary why more? We pay a lot in every state BPL or APL and every month the rate on everything increases it is no use Indian society it is a burden on every human being in our country.

• Stop the tyranny

The concept of land ownership is currently nonsense. You don't own it. Think you do? Well try and stop paying your property tax. The government will come and take everything you OWN. That "tax" is essentially rent money paid to your government. Stop paying rent, they kick you out. You don't own it! However, when I buy a TV do I keep paying tax on it or is it a one time thing? Its time for people in mass to stop paying these BS taxes. Time to take a stand against tyranny you serfs!

• We're never free

I bought a home I could afford 20 years ago. Assessors now claim it's worth over 3 times more than I paid for it. I'll soon be retiring and on a fixed income. I'm worried that with the cost of health care and property taxes, My long planned retirement financial forecast won't work.

• Property taxes are wrong

Property means something you own. I can see taxes when it is sold or given off, But when you own something it's yours. I'm not saying I don't agree with what the taxes pay for but we pay local city state and federal taxes already. It's like a gang forcing you to pay protection charges, And if you don't pay they will take everything from you and destroy your life regardless of how hard you worked to get there or hard ships you are facing at the moment.

• Seniors & Property Taxes

Then why not only tax properties over a certain value. In some countries u only pay taxes on homes an property over $1million. If u have money to buy an expensive home or yatch or airplane or such luxury items you should be able to pay much more to give back what the country has provided, the opportunity to make millions while paying lower wages than in other over developed countries. Seniors in th USA go through a lot of stress paying for a school tax of over $1000 which has to be paid in full or at least 3/4 of it.

• Cannot afford to pay

We cannot afford to pay them and yet live in any sort of comfortable means at all. The job situation along with the low job pay wages pretty much makes it difficult to survive in Montana. We are going to lose ours if we don't come up with the 7000.00

• No. I have foreign experience.

Property tax is a tax levied not mainly for the purpose of revenue, but as an incentive.

Here is the situation in China: The Chinese government has recently allowed land ownership, despite claiming to be Communist. The government levies no taxes on land. Land price has been soaring and has been kept high somewhat artificially. As result, many investors invest in houses. I don't have the stats in front of me, but something like 1 in 5 houses are vacant in China. This why we need property taxes, in order to discourage negative and non-creative investment.

• What is a free society if we are bound as tax slaves?

America was founded for Freedom, freedom from government. A society where you can be worry free own land, a house. And not have to worry about someone taking your land for failing to pay. Because property taxes unlike income taxes is taxed even if you have made no income thus driving you into corporate slavery to pay the tax thus creating the way of life we live in currently of 9-5 job that we all have to wake up and go to each day. You should be able to work 15-20 years and retire and have a paid of house and not have to pay taxes. What is live if you are nothing more than a tax slave?

• Property Tax is necessary.

Supposed that a billionaire buys all the land that is available. This said billionaire can own the land for as long as he lives and then pass it on to his family. The problem with this is that the land can go unused. Property taxes stops this from happening because taxes would discourage the owning of inefficient land. Property taxes also support your local government, which pays for your roads, fire and police departments. If you cannot afford the taxes on a big house, it is possible to buy a smaller house with less property taxes. We are civilized people which means that we must work together for the common good.

• A necessary evil

As much as I would love to get rid of property tax, the state/local gubmint will just jack up income tax by some ridiculous amount to pay for somebody else's kids public edumication.

Also property values will become more ridiculous than they already are. We already have enough foreigners buying property here when some Americans can't even afford their own home.