• There's nothing wrong with a religious class in public school, with a few exceptions.

First- government should not require the religious class to exist so as to respect the first Amendment; the school board/school has to decide on its own to add a religious class to their school. Second- students should not be required to to attend the religious class. It must be offered as an elective. If these two requirements are met, I see no problem with implementing a Bible class.

• Of course we should

Are you mad!? :) I think its safe to assume that this "school" is a school in america. Considering that this a an American school, Bible class should be a part of public education since it would give more understanding to history and literature. "Did you know that Joan of Arc was Noah's wife?" this was one of few questions given to the american public. Now i would like to think that the american public is not that ignorant and although I personally take these statements satirically, i can make an argument that claims the american public is ignorant. The western culture IS Christianity and you or anyone cannot deny that. And to not educate the book that inspired a whole civilization is a pity to be not taught.

• It's sad to see God disappear from society

The bible is an important education tool, not just from a religious context but from a historical and social context, the bible teaches us about how early people thought, felt and lived, what they believed and what drove them. This knowledge helps us gain very important historical understanding.

Learning about God is the greatest educational gift you can give a student. Teaching the, to read and write with serve the, for the next 80 years but a strong faith will serve the, for eternity.

• It found moral lessons

We can learn many moral lessons in Bible. Then we apply for our life. I think that the student have to learn, at least, a religous subject at schools, universities. It expand our knowledge about religion all around the world. It can reduce moral murder and make our life safer and safer.

• It definitely should be an elective

Just like many college courses teaching biblical history, the bible is definitely a great resource for people to learn about. It is the most famous book with never-ending references to it. It doesn't have to be anything more than a history lesson; there is no need to teach the religion of Christianity in order to learn about the bible. Those that say "should we teach the Quran too?" as an argument for teaching the bible are saying something reasonable, but its beside the point; the two things aren't mutually exclusive. The benefits of teaching the bible would be for the historical significance that the bible has made over the years and the uncountable biblical allusions. That said, there is definitely a history lesson to be made for other religious texts for their historical impacts, but none come quite so close to the significance that the Christian Bible holds in human history.

• The Bible is history, and according to over 1 billion people, a tentpost for their lives.

Our country was founded upon Judeo-Christian ethics, our legal system was based around the Ten Commandments, the words our teachers give us as advice for the future can be found in proverbs. The Bible is literature that has stayed relatively intact for more than 2000 years, and impacts people every day. There are similes, metaphors, prose, poetry, everything imaginable. There are parables, there are epics, there are debates, there is action, romance. How can you think to not teach such a thing, even if it is in a literature or history class. Regardless of your personal beliefs, you cannot deny what the Bible has contributed to our modern lives.

• Bible Classes Belong In Schools

Yes, because the bible teaches you that God loved you so much to die for you. The bible shows you the really meaning to life and it brings you closer to God. In my mind Heaven is a beautiful place just like the bible says. Our schools wouldn't know the real meaning to how we came here to earth.

• Both sides make valid points but I am for having Bible classes.

Have any of you actually taken a Bible Lit course. Well I have and both side are correct about some things and wrong about other things. I agree with those against it in the fact that it shouldn't be forced as a mandatory class and should only be allowed as an elective. It actually was being offered as an elective and alternative to the English 12 course in my high school. For both sides of the topic the class has nothing to do with preaching about the Bible to the students. The class is not about teaching morals to the students either. Some people say it's in violation of the first amendment. Yes it is if the teacher is preaching the Bible but The Supreme Court clearly stated that it is fine to teach the Bible for it's historical and literary aspects. In the Bible class the students examine the Bible as simply literature and compare parallels between some stories in the Bible to stories in other religions and mythology. In the class you don't even actually study the whole book. There's far too much info in it. In the class we only read the first chapter, Genesis. And we only studied the Bible during the first semester and the second semester was actually on contemporary issues. Also believe it or not but the course is actually more challenging than the regular English course. I actually learned more things in that class than the students in the English 12 classes who did silent reading for pretty much the whole class period everyday they were in that class. We learned things like the origins and meaning of names. How many of you even know what the names Adam or Isaac means? How sad can it get when people don't even know where their names come from. The course is actually worth having as an option for those who are interested or maybe even curious. You don't even have to be religious to enjoy the class. I should know, I was one of those people.

• It should be allowed as an elective for the study of it's historical and literary aspects.

Many people are arguing that it is against the first amendment. Yes the Supreme court said that preaching about it is wrong but did you know the Supreme court also said that teaching about it as history and literature is constitutional. Now have any of you actually taken the course? As someone who has I can tell you that it was in no way religious at all. The teacher was also a pastor for over 20 years but he didn't preach about his beliefs or stuff like that to the students. In fact we only studied the Bible during the first semester and that was only about the first chapter and the second semester was actually on contemporary issues. We did things like compare the flood story in the Bible to the flood story in other religions and myths and among other things learn about stuff like the origins or meanings of name. How many of you actually know what the names Adam or Isaac means? I'll be honest with all of you but I took the course thinking it would be easier than the normal English course but I was wrong because I actually had to do thinking and work in that class unlike the English 12 course with it's silent reading for the whole class period everyday. I actually left the class at the end of the year with more knowledge than I ever thought I would. I mean at the start of the year the class was full of students and by the end of the year the class was still full. Nobody dropped out and there people who didn't even believe in the Bible in the class. Both sides however make valid points. It's hard to teach it in a secular way. My Bible Lit teacher even said so. But it's also not easy to have a none believer teach about it. It'll be like having a PE teacher teach Calculus to students. And I agree that it should only be given as an elective and not be made mandatory. However what really bugs me is that people who's kids may or may not even be in the course were complaining about the fact that it was even being offered in school. The year I took the class was actually the last year my school offered it because the Board of Education gave in to a bunch of parents who didn't even know what the class was about. I'm not a super religious person myself but I feel that it is a shame other students won't have the opportunity to learn about something interesting.

• Public schools teach evolution, so why not have Bible classes?

I go to an alternative school that teaches religion. It's not required, it's counted as a elective, but every student in our school has chosen to take at least one religion class. Christianity, Judaism, Islam are taught. I think it has benefited our school a significantly. I think more schools should be ran this way. It is also integrated into our regular curriculum, in classes like science, I just did a lesson about stem cell research. It had the scientific facts, and then different religious opinions of it. It is also surprisingly unbiased. I think it is beneficial to learn about different people's stances that are influenced by religion, like in the real world.

• what??? teach the bible????

Should they teach the qoran? The torah? Why should they teach the bible a book or stories that people have given different meanings. The idea of teaching something that is so easily debated and interpreted on an individual basis(it has a different meaning to everyone) in a class room paid for by tax payers not all of which are Christians. It is a religion that can have a depressing effect on people political opinion.

• America is a secular state

Introducing only bible classes in public, government funded schools violates the constitution and freedom of religion. The 1st amendment makes congress unable to do that and the 14th amendment makes the state and local governments unable to do that either. 1. It violates the rights of non-Christian students, 2. Teaching only the bible side is biased. If you want to teach the bible in public schools, then because of the constitution, the Qoran, the Torah, the Greek and Chinese myths and folklores, and even athiesm also have to be taught, but there is only a certain amount of time in school.

• No, No, No

If we allowed one faith into the public schools, then we would have to let the other faiths be taught in the schools. That is why we have church, temple, synagogue etc. So we can all practice our own religion. School on the other hand should be taught all the same. For the truths and the facts are all the same. We are not practicing truths and facts. We are learning them.

• This is bull.

So, before I go into depth about what this type of class would do, allow me to state what many who would take this class have already gone through. First, near after birth, they were dunked in water and declared part of a religion. Next, the child was told that he would burn forever if he didn't go to church, so he was getting the holy book shoved down his throat. All the while, the kid's parents have been telling him that religion is the truth. After a while, the kid begins to question religion. This should always happen at one point or another, and in this example, he decides it makes no sense. So, in the true scientific way, he does some research. He finds that some even make their lives studying the holy book and find that the whole thing was made up (Bill Nye; he studied, read the bible, drew maps, did research and found it was complete bull). So, after a while in the kid's education career, he begins to hear science classes that teach sound theories and facts backed by concrete evidence. He likes that, and decides to believe it. If this kind of class (a religious one) was put in, the student would be crushed into a religion violently, and if he failed the class as he simply didn't believe it, it would keep him from an honor roll, sports with school, and many other activities. I myself would refuse to lift a pencil in this class because I would want to resist the kind of indoctrination that has been going on for my entire life. This is my story. It is all true except for the end matter. I hope you people on the Yes side end up realizing that the church is a bunch of hypocrites and science makes sense.

--this message approved by MigratedPlum

• Freedom of Religion

Due to the First Amendment in the Constitution, there is freedom of religion. This doesn't mean that Christians are free to push their religion on everyone. I say if there is a bible class in schools then it should be an elective and other religious classes should be offered as well. We have separation of church and state for this exact reason.

• No, there is a separation of Church and State.

The public school system is a program provided by the government (the State). Therefore, religion has no place in public schools (or it at least cannot be taught as fact). Students should and do have the right to discuss religion and pray under the 1st Amendment, but religion cannot be taught as a fact.

• Separation of church and state all around

If schools can't have public prayer then they should not be able to have Bible classes. This is going on in public schools in Texas and if we can not have prayer then why should students be allowed to have Bible classes. What is the difference between a Bible class and a prayer room.

• No but on this condition.

Evolution is removed. It is bad to educate anything to do with any religion even if it is secular. Look America is diverse but their educating evolution to the point of killing religion in America. No view on how the world was created should be taught in school. However both are only okay if you also to Hinduism, Islam, etc.

• Violation of Church and State

My local high school offers a bible class. My grandson attends and they tell him about creation and they teach against evolution with lies. For example, the teacher of the bible class (who is also a minister) told the class that evolution is false and has no basis for truth as does creation. He explained that no real "Neanderthal Skelton" has ever been found and the the early "Lucy" was really a monkey because she did not walk upright, but only walked on her nuckles. This kind of ignorance needs to be stopped- it is teaching lies - and should be prohibited.

• First Amendment, people! Anyone hear of it?

Schools should not have prayer rooms because it will make kids who don't want to be part of it be outed by others. And of course, the first amendment separates church and state (public schools here!) and it shouldn't even be an issue to discuss. The first American settlers came to be away from religious persecution. What would they think of this?