• Rap is music

When people say "rap isn't really music" thats like saying when trains were used and cars were introduced thats like saying cars aren't real transportation. All music is a form of expression , so is rap. Rap has rhythm, it expresses something. What really isn't music is stuff like dub step.

• Rap is labeled as music unfortunately.

I do not like rap, but it is a form of expression, and is labeled as music. I use expression loosely, because rhyming about swearing, pot, violence, and sex just reflects how insecure they are, they think they need to act gangsta to look big and bad, when they are just sissies trying to build up a gangsta image.

• How is it not?

Okay before you all go running your mouths saying rap is not music what do the rappers rap to? Oh yeah!! MUSIC. They rap to the beats and its not just about poetry yeah it rhymes but you read poetry not RAPidly speak it. Just because you don't like rap doesn't mean it isn't music, If its the kids you're worried about then let their parents decide if they want their kids listening to it or not.

• Yes rap is definitely music.

Rap has music in it so if you're going to go running your mouths about how it is "POETRY" I am sorry to say you are wrong. Rap concentrates on the beat of the music you cant just write a poem and say here is my rap. It doesn't work like that rap has to have a beat to it its not all about poetry either its about how they speak they RAPidly speak it. Yes there are many rap songs that are dirty and might have inappropriate language in it. If its the kids you're worried about well its the parents choice on if the child can listen to it or not.

• Yes, the definition says so

The definition of rap is: "vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion."
    Now, rap includes both vocal and instrumental sounds and can definitely produce beauty of form, harmony and expression of emotion. Not all rap is people pointing guns at the screen and promoting drug use and violence, most of the tome it is very expressive and can be beautiful. No one would say chart music isn't music but a lot of songs in the chart don't have deep meanings or are beautiful so if you're saying rap isn't music you must be saying chart music isn't music. Why does the fact it may push children to do drugs and shoot guns not make it music. So you're saying if it had a different video it would be music? The video has nothing to do with the song.

• Yes, rap is music

Rap may not be to everyone's appeal, but it must be classified as music. It has some singing, instrumental sections, drum beats. What many people would say is not music would be the rapping itself, which is at times just fast-talking, but even this, put to music, must be considered music.

• How would it not be?

Of course rap is a genre of music. Rap mostly focuses on rhythm with its drums, it's sampling techniques and Rapping (which is basically spoken rhyming lyrics). How anyone can deny it to be music is beyond me. I think saying that something is not music just because you don't like it is really dumb.

• Yes, because reading it is not the same as hearing it.

Could you read rap lyrics? Sure. Would the experience of reading rap lyrics be the same as the experience of listening to that same rap song? No, it wouldn't . The rhythm and sounds of rap music add to it's impact in a way that needs to be heard. That's why rap deserves a place in the music category. There are lots of musical styles. Just because some people don't like some styles doesn't make them not music.

• Yes, rap should be considered music.

Many people enjoy the lyrical content and rhythm that rap music uses. It must be considered music because it is composed of the same elements that make up any other genre of music. Though many people of different generations do not enjoy listening to rap music, it should still be considered music.

• Lmao bro hi

It just is so yeah just deal with it. Rap music does good like teachers using rap to help struggling words,its an acceptable form of expression, and it makes rap artists contribute to their communities. IT IS CONSIXDERED MUSIC BRO SO JUST LIVE WITH THE FACT people hahahah i am

• Secret hELP@ Y

Rap music is repulsive like all the rappers (:We don't want kids thinking its okay to play with real AK47s just because shooting people on Call of Duty is fun. As citizens, we should only listen to Christian gospel to reshape our lives including the children for the next generation.

• No singing, no notes, no change in pitch, no dynamics, no tone, just beat =NO MUSIC

Rappers cannot sing, rappers do not play instruments. Rap is just oft times, but not always, narcissistic, vulgar and violent laced poetry SPOKEN NOT SUNG. Most of the time the POEMS are all about the RAPPER themselves, extolling their toughness, their want to put a cap in someone's head, stank HOES and such. IT's a GOD DAMN DRAG too with a MONOTONOUS, MONOTONOUS, MONOTONOUS, MONOTONOUS BORING BEAT. Sorry. It's my right to piss all over it as I am a TRUE musician.

• No it's not

Not all rap is bad, but most newer rap is. Some old stuff can have somewhat-musical choruses and is fun to listen to, but anything in the mainstream is essentially "Talking to a beat." It's a disgrace to the music industry because there are no notes and people who say it's poetry, it's not. Look at the lyrics and tell me that a regular poet would use the f-word 100 times.

• It is poetry with music

It is poetry with music in background. That's all. Like it or hate it ,that is what it is.
    Music is composed of music notes. When you ad poetry you have songs or opera.
    Now in rap you have people that recite poetry with music background. It is a poetry show not music

• Not music period

Whole lotta echoing, rambling the same redundant words. With a few bells and a trash can lid to whack on. The vulgarities are a bit over the top. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 8 7 5 4 32 1
    6 y y y y y

• What did I just listen to?

I think it should not be considered music because it has no real talent involved. They just talk into the mic the script their 17 writers wrote out for them, and it's just aboUT getting girls drugs or money. I swear the next generation revolving a round this will ruin society.

• Rap is disgusting and meaningless.

It is NOT music. Rap should be a criminal offense. It is a putrid stain on the underpants of an already corrupt society. It is nondescript rambling. If you like it, then you are a horrible person. This is not my opinion, it is a fact. You enjoy listening to people talk, NOT SING, BUT TALK, about rape and murder.

• No it is not music, but it is poetry.

Is it music when you just talk over background music? No. Rap is also not music because you can not actually write it on sheet music. This is due to the fact it is just words. When a group of words is put together to make a rhyme it is actually just poetry. If you say poetry over music playing in the background, does that mean that the person is now singing? No. Therefore, rap is poetry not music.

• No, it is not.

Because it is not music. This says I need more words, but I do not. My first simple and direct statement fully conveyed my complete meaning with utter clarity, and no further explanation is required. In summary, it is not music, and any argument to the contrary is entirely invalid.

• No, it is not.