Should rape be punishable by life in jail?

Asked by: Werdna
  • Rape is cruel.

I think that rape is cruel. I'm not a girl, but if I was, I would rather die than being raped, It's too traumatic to forget. I saw some verdict rape stories, they were pretty brutal. But it can also depends on how much it affects someone (the victim or the victim family).

• I (person who made the debate page) think it should.

I believe that rape is one of the worst crimes in the world, and that it takes a sociopathic person to do it. I made this page to see what everyone else thought -- in my opinion, the current sentence for rape is depressingly low and needs to be higher.

• Yes it should be

As in the case of the girl dead after a rape in new delhi the punishment should even be more stringent for example hang till death.It is our ignorance and the increasing number of cases that encourage such incidents even more.To abort all of these a strict law is indispensable

• Yes it should be

Personally I believe that rape scars a person for life. Imagine if you wake up one day knowing that the person who raped you is somewhere out there. You'd never ever feel safe anymore. The current sentences are just inadequate to punish rapists. They need life in jail to learn.

• The rapist should live in shame of what they have done.

I was disgusted with the recent sentence of a rapist teen who was sentenced to three months in prison. He deserved at least life in prison for how he scorned his victim. We need to show the public that rape is a serious crime by ushering in harsh consequences. Rapists cannot keep slipping through our justice system's fingers over and over and over. Rape can damage a person psychologically very severely, sometimes for life. There is no justification or excuse for raping anybody, It's sick!!!!! There is no sympathizing or reasoning with people who do such disgusting shit.

• If a danger to society

I believe life sentences should not be used as a punishment, but used to protect society. If someone rapes, they may do it again. To protect society from a behavioral pattern that could harm women, or men that could be raped, society should be protected from rapists roaming the streets.

• Yes, Life Is Only Fair

Rape is such a hateful, damaging crime against the victim. The psychological and physical damage could last for life for the victim. At the very least, they should remain imprisoned until the victim and their psychologist agrees the victim is healed physically and emotionally. However, I believe they should get life in prison.

• What about ??

What about other serious crimes, like violence that causes severe injury). What about the man who beat a 2 year old with a speech impediment with a wire hanger for mispronouncing his sister's name. Now the boy faces possible blindness. Rape causes internal, not external damage. Should the man who beat the 2 year old get life?

• Completely illogical in many ways.

For one's punishment to be neither cruel nor unusual by the eighth amendment of the Constitution of the United States, it should be something that fits the crime. Rape, when not resulting in pregnancy or some STDs is a temporary issue that resolves itself upon completion. No permanent damage may be done to the victim, and therefore a permanent sentence upon the rapist is unfairly cruel, if not also unusual to put on someone.

Therefore, unless permanent damage can be proven in the specific case, a life sentence in prison is a cruel and unusual punishment for a rapist.

• Rape is a crime but shouldn't be punishable by life

A man can be accused of rape at any time he is in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Any woman can accuse any man of rape at any time if she hates him!
    If a man cumits rape it won't take him a lifetime to learn to not do it again
    What is the punishment for the woman who lies about being raped?
    What about a woman who rapes a man?

• What happens to the other side then if proven to be false?

And if the man sent to jail which have there been plenty who were wrongfully accused, either due to false evidence or because of a spiteful partner, what is the punishment for those who wrongfully accused another person of rape?

There have been more than a few individuals who convince their daughters to say their fathers raped them and turned out years later not ot be true. What is the punishment for the other side if proven to be false then? If it is life in prison, then I'd agree, but one side cannot bear an uneven amount of burden in the event is false.

Posted by: N711