Should recapitulation theory be viewed as having a substantial impact on today's music composers?

• No, I think that is stretching it.

Yes, in order for recapitulation theory to have a substantial impact on today's music composers, according to the tenets of the theory, they would have to have within themselves the experiences of all composers going back through their ancestry. I believe this is highly likely and is responsible for many art forms.

• Recapitulation theory could apply.

With any activity, the history of the activity shapes the current practice. Recapitulation theory would insist that historical music is no longer seen as it was intended. Flight of the Valkyries, for example, will inspire an image of UH1 helicopters flying into Vietnam rather than the original intent. As we link historical pieces of music with modern imagery, that imagery may morph the intent or the original inspiration out of the music. The result is modern composers that have a misconstrued view of what the piece was actually intended to convey.

• substantial impact on today's music composers

Scriabin was one of the most innovative and most controversial of early modern composers. The Great Soviet Encyclopedia said of Scriabin that, "No composer has had more scorn heaped or greater love bestowed..." Leo Tolstoy once described Scriabin's music as "a sincere expression of genius." Scriabin had a major impact on the music world over time, and influenced composers like Roy Agnew, Nikolai Roslavets, Sergei Prokofiev and Igor Stravinsky.

• Recapitualation Theory View

I personally think that recapitulation theory should be viewed as having not a substantial impact on today's music composers because it is a different aspect as well as a different time period. I personally think that today's music composers allows music to be different from back when the music composers was using things to create beats.

• No it should not

No, I do not think that this theory should be viewed as having a substantial impact on today's music composers. They are doing everything they can just to make as much money as possible and to get as many people as they can to listen to their music and albums.