Should reforestation be a central component of strategies to combat global warming?

• Reforestation is the responsible thing to do.

Regardless of whether global warming is occurring or it is man-made. It is irresponsible of us to continue living as wastefully as we have been and expect no consequences. I personally, feel that if anything I do makes it so the life of someone else or thing is suffering for it, then I am the one who needs to make changes. It is only if we can live together, that we will have a world, where everyone may live.

• Biosequestration by forests and grasslands is 1000 times more effective and energy efficient than any other human technologies.

Reforestation of the vast desertizing and barefaced landscapes in USA and Canada would not only sequester the green house gas, but clean up and restore the fresh water in our soils. Rivers and lakes would be crystal clear forever, and the ocean would not rise and NYC would not merge into sea water.

If we cover all the barefaced landscapes in tornado alley areas with steady trees (4-5 meters high), we can almost eliminate the tornado disasters there. That means FEMA and insurance companies would save 4-5 billion dollars a year, not mention how many lives would be spared.

• Trees and grasslands are the most efficient of using solar energy to sequester the CO2 among any means without second pollution and energy consumption.

As estimated, all the net increase of trees and grasses in weight would be close to the fossil fuel human consumed. If increasing trees and grassland by 10% globally, we can reverse the accumulation of co2 in air and hold the enough water in continent soils to stop the ocean arising.

• Yes, simply because...

It is the easiest and simplest way to combat Global warming, due to the tree's CO2 consumption, it is also one that can be done the quickest as we could easily do it now, instead of having to wait years to reduce our CO2 emissions, so we could prevent damage being done, and restore the balance of our emissions vs the trees consumption.

• It is an easy and simple way to make a difference.

It is the easiest and simplest way to combat Global warming. This is due to the a trees CO2 consumption. This can also be done the quickest and we could easily do it now instead of having to wait years to reduce our CO2 emissions. This would prevent damage being done, and restore the balance of our emissions verse the trees consumption.

• Reforestation should be the key component to solve the global warming!

These days, a lot of trees are getting cut off. According to my research, between year of 2000 to 2010, 16 million hectares which is as big as one Costa Rica had a deforestation. And, that is really bad. Also, yellow dusts from China's dessert is covering the sky that you are barely able to see a building over one hundred meters from you. So, I think if we keep planting more and more trees, those trees will be very helpful to our life. Then, absolutely, our quality of life will increase. Another reason is because trees absorb Co2, and give us oxygen. Then, we will be able to breathe in more air which are much cleaner than before.

• Reforestation should be a central component of combating global warming to reduce the CO2 emissions.

If reforestation is the prime objective, the increase in numbers of trees will result in more plant processing of the excess CO2 gases in the atmosphere that are contributing to global warming. As a result, this will create a better balance with oxygen and help to reduce the overall greenhouse effect.

Posted by: SoWinif
  • Any effort to help the earth re-balance itself and remain healthy will help prevent natural disasters.

Reforestation helps give back to nature, which, in turn, helps the earth regain a natural balance. When things fall out of balance too much, bad things happen: natural disasters, atmospheric problems and animal extinction. This would have numerous benefits, not only to prevent bad things from happening, but to allow good things to happen.

Posted by: Iewie2cute
  • Yes, reforestation should be a central component of strategies to combat global warming, due to trees' effects on our CO2 levels.

Yes, reforestation should be a central component of strategies to combat global warming, for a couple of reasons. First, deforestation causes global warming because, when a tree is chopped down, it releases CO2. Second, trees soak in CO2, so it is not in the atmosphere. Plus, planting trees provides a cooling effect for urban areas.

Posted by: SecondNoel50
  • Yes, because reforestation is a great way to reduce the effects of global warming.

Since trees take in carbon, they reduce the amount of carbon in the atmosphere that causes global warming. In addition to this, planting trees provides a cooling effect in an urban environment, because trees absorb less heat than pavement. And, increasing the number of trees in the Amazon rainforest increases the efficiency and synergy of that rainforest.

Posted by: CooperativePrince
  • Earth is in an ice age.

Earth is in an ice age in this moment. Ice ages are periods of time that there are ice caps in polar regions and mountain regions. It is very natural for the Earth's temperature and co2 levels to increase. So, we do not have to take care of global warming.

• natural rest?

when the earth does a natural rest, it freezes its self. kills off 90 percent of everything and starts fresh. grows new trees, new animals organisms you name it. reforestation its going to do jack all if we dont reinvent how to build a home or building. it isnt going to change out paper usage unless we commercialize hemp. the problem isnt should we do it, its how do we change our economic structure to allow it?

• I don't believe reforestation is necessary to combat global warming.

In order for me to think that we need reforestation to combat global warming, I would have to first believe that global warming existed. I remember years ago when we were supposed to be afraid of a coming ice age. Global warming is a myth created by people that want to use it for political purposes. There are cycles of cooling and warming, and if it's really warming then it's just a cycle and not man that is causing it.

Posted by: GaudyTory37
  • I believe reforestation should not be a part of combating global warming, as plants that fail in a changed environment will also fail if replanting is attempted.

As actual warming does happen, the micro-climates will change. Species of plants will not be able to occupy those areas which they once inhabited. However, those species, if properly managed, will be able to migrate to micro-climates, which will foster their growth. The management is essential if climate change moves too far and too fast for natural reseeding to take place.

Posted by: P03tPoId
  • While I believe that we should focus on reforestation, I do not agree that global warming is an issue.

Reforestation is important to the environment and the ecosystem on which we rely for our daily lives but I do not believe it will affect global warming. While global warming may be occurring at a minimal amount, I do not believe it is as much of a factor as the media would have us believe. I study meteorology and climatology and what we call global warming is simply a cycle that the earth goes through, has gone through before, and will continue to go though as long as it continues to exist.

Posted by: WeaverEmmi