Should religion be included in the U.S school curriculum?

• Yes, it Should!

If kids want to practice religion at school, nobody should stop them. If more people had God in their lives, this world would be a better place. Or even if you're not a religious person, who's to stop someone from worshiping something they deeply believe in? As to whether it should be taught, I think it should because kids should at least be exposed to religion so they can make their own choice. If it bothers another student, then they should just ignore it because there's a lot of other worse influences in school, legal or not.

• In God We Trust?

In a country where the motto is, "In God We Trust." we are not allowed to talk about religon or even pray in public without someone trying to stop us. They think that since school doesnt allow it society shouldnt allow it meaning many people have to pray behind closed doors and keep quiet about it.

• Yes, ignorance about certain religious traditions are pervasive in our society.

Schools in the United States need to make a concerted effort to educate young people concerning the various religious traditions that exist around the world. Many stereotypes and fears would be eliminated if people were more educated concerning the various religious customs and traditions This does not mean that students should abandon their own beliefs, but it does mean they should understand the beliefs and mindset of others.

• Religion has historical and societal significance

I agree that schools should not teach children that they must/should adhere to a certain religious tradition. This being so, religion is unquestionably a large part of society, in the United States and otherwise. Schools cannot simply leave religion discussion out of the curriculum, this would provide an incomplete view in other courses like history and sociology. Even science has been affected by religious doctrines, such as in medicine. To leave these facts out is to leave children ignorant to the workings of the world. It would leave them unable to think critically about these affects and therefore unable to form informed opinions concerning religion and religious tradition, leaving them at the mercy of their parents, church, etc.

• Unbiased education based on the need to build better citizens and create a stronger nation.

Most would agree that the government offers an education as a way of benefiting the nation as a whole through a complete and accurate teaching of the past and how it affects our present and future. While not everyone will call themselves religious, regardless of the faith in practice, we still have to acknowledge that the clear majority of the world's inhabitants have a personal creed that follows very closely to an individual religion. Stereotypes can only be counteracted by a strong push towards teaching those that use them why they are innacurate or unacceptable.

We hate those we don't trust and we fear those we don't know. The only solution we could have is to learn more about our neighbors so that we no longer need to fear them or hate them simply because they look at the world differently. I am a Christian, yet I have good friends that are not. Do I wish they believed as I do? Yes, because if I didn't I could hardly call myself a Christian. But that does not mean that I will be at there door even a single day trying to convince them why I believe it is right, that is not my place. That being said, why cannot we have a public education that strives to broaden the minds of its students?

It is hard, and maybe some would say near impossible to have a religious teacher that is unbiased, but to say that the mere bias of one teacher removes all freedom of choice from the individual being taught is just not an acceptable response. Separation of church and state was an attempt to protect religious freedom from government, not the other way around. Government has a duty to represent through education a point of balance for every single one of their students. You have to teach about everything you can as everyone benefits from a comprehensive and complete education.

• Hell Yeah, It Should.

Speaking of Hell, Why are there no Satanist Schools? There are Christian and Catholic ones, why not for my friends and I?
    Religion should be taught in certain classes, and only if the students have parental permission, they can take them. (That doesn't make much sense, does it?... Oh Well.)
    So, yeah Religion is OK, I guess to be taught in schools, under some conditions.

• Study about religion is important.

Im an atheist myself, but to suggest that we completely abandon all study about religion is ridiculous. I do not suggest that schools should push religious beliefs as facts, or that any particular religion must be favoured, but a lesson on world religions is important to help students understand art, literature, music, poetry and history better. Religion is undoubtedly a major part of society and disregarding religious education would give an incomplete and inadequate picture of society to children.

• Yes very important

Because kids learn a lot about the religions and they can choose which one to believe in. I'm thinking about spiritual education and how it gives morals to children. Religions is also a topic in social studies for kids around the age of 11-14 and more. So as you can see this is really important

• Not in any curriculum at all.

1. Most holy books plagiarize off of other religions, or simply make it up.
    Given Plagiarism is stealing and is illegal, why advocate that type of product in schools?
    2. Philosophy is better suited to teach people how to think rather than what to think, that being said, religion is fixated on 'one truth', leaving it in the awkward position of always being 'correct' and little room for self analysis and how their actions consequences affect/effect those around them. Most are simply concerned with one or two things, where they go when they die, and how they will get there or not get there. The motive is more selfish in nature. While on the contrary i don't believe in teaching charity either, i'm no philanthropist.
    3.Science deals with the physical world and statistical possibilities. "miracles" of any form, never happen, therefore they are not a statistic and have no real tangible place to be produced or reproduced in science and using the scientific method to understand it. With that said we should leave this to the philosophers to contemplate and discuss with the opinionated (religious) folk.
    4. Math is logic, and is the basis in Science and philosophy. That being said there is no room for 'feelings' that may or may not get hurt because their belief is shown to be false. While on the contrary the same could be said about someone who has made an error in their conclusions.

As far as the constitution is concerned, I'm not going to even make reference to it. That is not a good enough reason to be against Religion in schools. Because someone else wrote it, therefore we must support it? Not in my world.

• Facts, not opinions. That goes for Pseudo Science as well.

Don't even bother teaching religion, teach philosophy. Keep Religion out of Science, it has nothing to do with it. Science has to do with the physical, not the supernatural.Further more, history lessons should be kept factual. Keep biblical history out. Keep actual events in. As far as English is concerned, the bible is a concoction of multiple rewrites,plagiarisms and more from innumerable amounts of books. Why advocate that? I have no issues with religious people, but please don't teach your opinions to anyones kids. It's bad enough most of them are brainwashed by Yellow Journalism in the media (all media/partisans). We need to teach people how to think, not WHAT to think and believe. Even science today has become a victim of the subjective state of mind propagating political agendas.

• No it shouldn't

The First Amendment is clear: there shall be a separation between church and state. Thus no public schools can have any form of religious education or indoctrination. We need to cherish the secular system we have that guarantees that we have religious freedom and not forced into the religion of someone else.

• Violation of the US Constitution

The 1st amendment of the US Constitution clearly states:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion"

Therefore, public schools, as a function of the school districts which are part of the government, cannot and should not teach religion in their courses.

Basically, no and it should never be.

• They need to teach all religions then.

Religion is an important part in my life, but what religion I believe in may not be the same as my neighbors'. My children will then believe in a different religion than their children. But now the two children go to the same school, where a completely different religion is said to be the "right" religion, and only that religion is taught. This is a scenario that could easily come forth and be an issue if religion was taught in public schools.

• No

Under the first amendment of the US Constitution, Congress cannot establish any law respecting a religion. If Congress were to do so, it would be unconstitutional. Freedom of or from religion is a human right, and a right promised by the U.S. Constitution. Not everyone in the United States is a Christian. Not everyone is a Muslim. Or a Buddhist. Everyone has a different view on how the universe was created, and how it works.

• No

Some may say religion should be taught in schools, so it can “enrich” their child’s mind and because religion is part of history. However it is just impossible for the government to publish a textbook concerning all religions to be used in every single public school. Religion should be kept out of the government along with the school system. The constitution states the right place to practice religion is in a mosque, church or synagogue or even at home or private school. There is even a political and legal policy called the separation of church and state which explains that the government and religious institution are to be kept separate and independent from each other.

• Religion should be kept out of schools.

I firmly believe that schools are build around educating people. You may believe what you want, but religion has no educational value to it whatsoever, and that conflicts completely with the ideal of school. We are teaching children science, not science-fiction. It may not be a popular opinion but religion is certainly holding back this country and needs to be regulated much more than it is.

• No - church/home is where religion should be taught.

I firmly believe in the separation of church and state. Although I agree that children should be exposed to various religions in order to make an informed choice about how they want to perceive and practice their spiritual nature, I do not believe that school is the place to teach that. Religions can be taught through churches and family - keep religion out of school.