• All class covering all majors religions of the world should be taight.

Whether or not you believe in God or Allah or whatever a class educating students on major religions around the world and how they affect us and things we do should be offered. Religion affects many political aspects of our world and always has. Honestly, I think atheism and theory of evolution should be included in the course curriculum. Everyone should know that people think differently based on their beliefs.

• Yes- Not just about Christianity (and certainly doesn't 'brainwash')

People assume RE to only be about Christianity; however I have done the subject for many years now and know that it doesn't concern just Christianity or religion for that matter. It explores many different ways of thinking and contemporary moral issues. The subject encourages pupils to make their own minds up about what they believe and what they don't. As an atheist, I get pretty annoyed when other atheists claim it only talks about belief. I learnt more about the Big Bang Theory and evolution in RE than I did in biology.

• Children benefit from Religious Education -

I feel Religious Education should be taught in schools as not only does it explore different faiths, religions and cultures, but also many different ways of thinking and contemporary moral issues. Teaching R.E should increase children’s tolerance and respect towards other cultures, ethnicities and ways of thinking. R.E encourages children to make their own minds up about what they believe and what they don't, and also gives them a better understanding of the world around them.

• Re should be taught in primary schools

If re is taught we would not know about other peoples belief their culture. We wouldnt really be friends with people who are a diiferent religion to us . We would not what other people think and life would be a mess withou re imagine if u had no idea which culture ur friend came from?

• I say yes ,it should be taught in schools

People should be given the right to choose any religion that they want to be apart of.I think re should be taught in schools because suppose i was brought up in Christianity and everybody knows me as a christian person and i want to be a Muslim.It would be better if i had known about the different religions before i even reach college and university.And it is better to know about the religions;next thing u know somebody tells u about Christianity and nothing that the person is saying is right but because i or you didn't pay attention or learn about the different religions and i believe you i would be straying.And no body could prevent me from straying so easily

• It must be taught in school

Religious education must be taught in schools because it educates them more about what is going on in the world.For example if someone is walking and they are covered in a lot of clothing you would be suspicious.Thats why religious education must be taught in school because it educates them more

• Does it matter why not?

Learning about religion wouldn't be taught in the more "Believe in this and you will go to heaven" but be taught as what people believed on and why man created religion. I'm an athiest but I do believe that our children should know how people lived, for example greek gods had incest, this infers that the greeks thought oncest wasn't disgraceful at all. Also how about abraham, the father of three religions , they should be taught why.

• Understanding brings Tolerance and Acceptance

With only about 21% of people having no religion, religion is important for everyone. In a multicultural world which is all interconnected, people will need to learn to respect people for who they are, including religion. They will also be better informed if all major religions (not just one religion) are taught in the school, and this will mean that it will be easier for them to make their own personal choice.

• Not religion, but religious awareness.

Understanding of a wide range of religions should be taught in schools, because ignorance of religions breeds hate of unknown ideas and philosophies.

'RE' in schools are usually called 'RP' - religion and philosophy, with an emphasis on philosophy, and dealing with difficult questions, conflicts and ideas, usually involving religion. Understanding the beliefs of religions allows students to speak with certainty and understanding in class discussions.

• Religion should not be taught at schools

"Thou shall not believe in fake Gods" This is the number one rule in every religion. I'm bought up as a Christian and I was taught to "save the people who worship statues created by themselves" And I'm sure other religions say that Christians are delusional because they believe in a man who can not be seen. And what would happen if a group of children are bought together in a class believing that their god is the "real god"? Chaos.

• Why is this even something to debate about ?

I'm surprised that more people actually agree on this....It really just shows how religion has been woven into the fabric of peoples minds...I disagree that religion should be taught in public schools...It has an unhealthy affect ...The most good you can make out of this is that you can give students the freedom to choose which religious scripture they want to learn but people will continue to not accept other peoples beliefs when there mind is shot towards one religion...All religions have different views on things and if you teach those kids that, then like I said they will refuse to accept others beliefs and opinions....Don't weave this nonsense into the fabric of these kids minds....

• Religion is like a fast food....Its fast and easy....But its bad

No, It is unsafe to force any religious nonsense and scripture onto the minds of a child and it is unhealthy. However if you do want to have religion woven into the fabric of the kids minds than atleast give them the freedom to choose what they want to believe in and don't force this on them.

• It's a waste of time

Kids should be taught useful stuff instead like cooking or money management. Religion should be taught by the parents. Then only their own kids get brainwashed and not everyone else in the class. The other option is to teach all religious beliefs including atheism but there isn't enough time to do that so it makes more sense to leave it in the hands of the parents. Anyone who disagrees is obviously wrong.

• I don't think religion deserves to be a subject

Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, and religion is something that you need to learn in your own time if, indeed, you want to learn it. Teaching religion may provoke an exchange of hateful comments between students who have prejudice against people of a certain religion. Religion isn't like maths or English, you don't need a GSCE in it for nearly any job, unless you want to become a nun or something.
    In my opinion, religious education wastes 50 minutes of my time each week when I am taught stuff that goes in one ear and out the other. In that wasted time at school, and all the other subjects which are nonsensical, I could have learnt lots of other languages!
    Teachers are incredibly biased, and I find most of my teachers teach nearly only about Muslim and Hindu beliefs, not even religions associated with England or other Western countries.
    Religion wastes our time and does no good because, as a year 8 student, I don't care. And I can tell you most people in my year aren't religious and couldn't care less. That doesn't mean to say I don't respect people with those beliefs, it just means I don't share them and I definitely don't need to be taught what I regard as made-up stuff to fill in what we don't already know about Earth.

• A Brainwashing test

I throw down the gauntlet to all the governments worldwide. Ban religion being taught to children under eleven in any manner , at home or school, then let them make an informed choice thereafter. Let's see how long it takes for the numbers of ' believers' to tumble rapidly because the children haven't been brainwashed. A simple test that will prove I am right. Religion uses fear and reward to promote itself whilst destroying unity, open minded ness and development.

• You can't teach kids something they don't know how to comprehend

Relegion is something that children don't know how to analze or really understand. You can't teach something like relegion to children as they don't really know all the stories and can't know how to critically analyze and ask their own questions. Teaching a child about the story of Jesus or mohamed is non essential to their education and it gets in the way of their curriculum. Religion should be something they find on their own and should not be forced by parents or their teachers. Many relegions are corrupt and if we are to teach children about them we should not cherry pick them. You can't give someone a false perspective on something. Just read Leviticus and kids will never want to read the bible again. I feel religions are corrupt, not necessary, and interrupts our students curriculum. This is why I feel religion should not be taught in our schools

• Religion isnt essential to our students education and we should be focusing on the main subjects and let relegion be a choice of their own.

Our school boards and governments should not be paying to upkeep subjects that are not essential to our students education. I'm for Sunday schools and any other education used to help educate people in religion. But I feel that it should not be part of our students grades. It should be their own choice that is guided by their own choices. If you are making kids learn about something that they have no idea how to analyze or comprehend. If anything they should learn when they can truly understand it instead of a sort of brainwashing technique. I have nothing against religion and I go to a catholic school but I feel that relegion being introduced at such a young age is wrong. This is why I vote no

• Unbiased education about religion

Every person in the society is free and has right to choose which religion he/she want to choose. And if this person believe in Christianity, he can be tolerance about the other religions, but somehow he/she will be biased about other religions. Brad S. Gregory mentions in his article of “The Other Confessional History: On Secular Bias in the Study of Religion” that during the history people always had bias toward the other religions and even they had wars because of the different beliefs (pg.132-149). Nowadays, this situation changed but it is still remaining as a cold war or a war of thought. For example, in the western world, people have bias toward Islam because of the terror acts. In this conditions, you can't expect teachers to give an unbiased education about Islam.

• Biased teachings in schoolS

Any teacher will be biased, unconciously or not they will and this will effect the children in their decisions to believe or not and who to believe. I also believe that it's not factual based and so does not belong in a factual curriculum. It's wrong to force children into religion but lie and say they have free will at the same tim when this is taken off them when it suits

Emile says2013-05-15T03:11:15.453
Yes religion should be taught in school. In Australia, religion in taught in public schools by religious volunteers, these volunteers are not required have any teaching experience and usually have limited training before having the opportunity to teach students. While parents are able to opt their children out of classes, this separates children on religious religious beliefs and fails to encourage respect and understanding of differences. Religions education in public schools would be much better if it was inclusive of all children, taught by experienced teachers and was based on teaching students about the diverse religions in the world.