• Yes, religion should conincide with poltics

Religion, for the most part is based on doing good to people. And politics should included bettering the lives of people who live in the area politicians are campaigning to be leaders in. While imposing specific religious beliefs on people is immoral, the general principle of being considerate and tolerant, which should represent religion, should be a vital part o politics.

• Yes, religion should be tied to politics

Despite the fact that way too many Americans want to ignore it, we are a religious based, Christian country, that is tolerant of all faiths and those without. There is absolutely no clause in our constitution to "separate church and state". That is a huge misconception. It only states that the government shall establish no religion, as was the case with the Church of England. We are a moral and ethical society and religion and faith are a significant part of that structure.

• Religion fuels politics.

How do I know whether or not abortion is moral? How do I know whether or not evolution should be taught in public schools? How do I know whether or not tax cuts for the rich are fair? How do I know whether or not there should be gun ownership rights? It is all fueled by my religion - the way I interpret the world, or rather the way God(s) want(s) me to interpret the world.

• Religion tied to politics, in history, has never worked.

Look back at history and you will see that nothing good has ever come of religion and politics mixing. Look at how the Catholic church ruled Europe during the Dark Ages and you will see my point. Look how the conquistadors converted the new world in the 15th and 16th century. You can even look to modern examples in the middle east with ISIS, Iran, Iraq and Syria, among others, rule under strict Sharia law. If you truly want a tolerant society, religion, specifically Christianity and Islam, must die.

• Science should be the only factor involved in political decisions.

It is pretty clear that people can interpret religion in many ways, which leads to people having segregating views on what the best thing to do is. Looking at the comments on the left, people feel they need religion to provide them with some sort of moral guidance which is worrying. I follow no religion and am quite capable through intelligent decision making of understanding that hurting others is wrong, that we should teach what is relevant and leave spirituality/religion out of education as this is something that should be found by yourself if it is something you want in your life (i have no objection to people having religious beliefs) i just don't agree that it should be part of decision making for the future of humanity.

• It's too late

Religion has already infiltrated our government. It has been here since the beginning, for America at least, since the founding fathers molded the country it has been a parasite that controls votes and decisions. I wish it were different, but nothing will change it. Anybody who thinks it isn't there is either special or a politician.

• It's too late

• Too many different beliefs

When making decisions about the country, we must consider things from a non-religious perspective, instead focusing on the political/economic impact, rather than religion. Not everyone is your religion, and there are millions of atheist in the US. It is unfair for people who aren't religious to have to follow laws based on religion, especially since those laws are arbitary- for example, a paw against murder is not a religion based law, but banning evolution is.

• No religion and politics should not mix

They say in America it is the duty of every individual to vote in elections. Well religion is different for each individual and for some it doesn't exist. To try to tie something that is so divided among the people to something everyone should always be partaking in is a very dangerous thing.

• Politics and religion no

Religion should not be tied to politics because in the bible it talks about freedom of will. This means that he teaches us about what we need to do go to heaven. But it also says we may do as we please. If we tie politics to religion, what religion are we going to have? Are we going to go to jail for all the things we cant do? In the bible it talks about the Ten Commandments.

1.You shall not have other gods but me.
    There are many religions that have their faith in Saints, and in God. if that’s a sin why do they do it?
    2. You shall not make unto any other images.
    Who knows what God looked like? No one. Then why do they have an image of “him” on a cross? Or have the Holy Mary? She is another person they worship, and she’s not God. That’s another sin.
    3. You shall not take the Lord’s name in vain.
    We all do this one when we say “Oh My God” when we are impressed or something cool happens.
    4. You shall remember the Sabbath and keep it holy.
    On one day of the week we need to do nothing but rest and worship his name. I don’t think I know anyone that does this because we all have things to do. But if we work that’s a sin, if we do anything that doesn’t have to do with worshiping his name that’s a sin.
    5. Honor your father and mother.
    With teens these days I don’t believe kids respect their parents, I always see kids disrespecting their parents, yelling at them and ordering them to buy them stuff. That’s not respect. And its a sin.
    6. You shall not murder.
    There is the death penalty, cops have guns and if they shoot and kill someone it is okay. And if you kill someone because you were defending yourself its okay. Its actually not okay, who are we to kill? God gave us life he shall take it.
    7. You shall not commit adultery.
    Not every one commits adultery, but that’s a sin.
    8. You shall not steal.
    We have all stolen something. Maybe it wasn’t on purpose but it happened.
    9. You shall not bear false witness.
    We all lie to save our butts from something. And we sometimes lie to our friends parents so that they can go somewhere maybe not even with us. There is no such thing as a white lie. A lie is a lie.
    10. You shall not covet anything that belongs to your neighbor.
    We all want what other people have: money, new phones, a hot boyfriend or girlfriend. And we all covet on what our neighbor has so still a sin.

• Religion and Politics should never mix.

All it causes is a conflict of interest in many issues, just because someone wants to put too much influence from the bible (e.G. A huge fairy tale) and apply it to modern day laws.

Wasn't the states originally founded for religious freedom where indeed, people were free to practice their religions...But in the privacy of their homes and not using their beliefs as a weapon against everybody else.

You see Catholics (not all of them, but it's the religion that shouts the loudest) trying to ban abortions and gay marriage; but you don't see a Jewish person trying to ban pork for everyone just because they can't eat it.

• No, religion should not be tied to politics.

People have the right to choose whether or not they believe in God. That is one of the main beliefs involved in America's founding. Nobody should have the teachings of the Bible forced upon them. Not everyone wants to be a slave to the restrictions of religion. We live in a free country and living according to someone else's beliefs is the exact opposite.
    In fact, according to the Treaty of Tripoli in 1797, it reads,"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion..."

• No

No politics should not be tied to religion. It has always been my understanding that our founding fathers wanted a separation of church and state. Too often religion gets in the way of lawmakers making the right decision and the decision that the majority of people want. We need to remember that not everyone has the same religious beliefs.