• There is no harm in governments having a religious dimension

While I think that we need to be careful in government that we do not show favoritism toward any particular religion, there is no harm in governments having a religious dimension as this represents the way that the majority of people think, including the founding fathers of the United States. Preventing religious believers from having a voice in government would infringe on the freedom of speech rights of the individuals. Infringing on these rights would have negative repercussions on both believers and non-believers alike.

• The question is partially invalid due to the fact that Religion already has a part in government.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

The establishment of our independence as well as the principles of Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness are clearly defined in the Preamble of the Declaration of Independence as having been endowed to all Men by their "Creator".

Preamble: Law: The introductory part of a statute or deed, stating its purpose, aims, and justification.

The Declaration of Independence is by definition a Law in the United States. Legally speaking, you may argue the law until the capillaries in your face become prominent, but it doesn't change the law.

• Absolutely Not !

Our government is already so divided between Democrat, "Republican", and various other political parties. Why complicate it even more by adding the categories of Catholic, Protestant, Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist, Sikh, Pagan, and Atheist? Our government is already divided to the point of near-uselessness with just two major political parties. Adding in more reasons to be divided would be catastrophic. Leave it secular, please.

• Church And State Separate

Separating church and state, I believe, is a very smart move. There are numerous different religions and generally, numerous facets within each religion. Thus far, humans have not been able to see eye to eye with regards to religion. Therefore, I believe it is best to keep religion out of government and politics.

• How about .... NO!

If you want to have a religious state, take all your fellow believers and go make one and let rational people live in peace without lunatics that listen to imaginary voices or read books that endorse imaginary gods. I think when these societies again end up in the stone ages, then maybe they will wake up. Look how well religious governments have worked out for countries like Afghanistan, Iran and Saudi Arabia.

• There's a wall of separation for a reason.

The following are modern examples of what happens when someone mixes their religion with government:

So, we have one religious fool claiming that the Loch Ness monster confirms a young earth and two other religious fools claiming that climate change is a myth because the Bible says so. And people wonder why non-believers like myself get so pissed off when we have idiots like Shimkus, Barton, and Jindal running things.

If you hold a position in public office, check your religion at the door before anymore damage is done.

• No Way! Never!

Freedom of religion? There have been so many wars about having the freedom to believe what you want, there's no need to force others into Christianity here in America. I already feel pressurized from all my friends about being an atheist, I don't need any more of it's influence in the white house!