Should religious institutions like the Catholic Church be made to marry gays?

Asked by: doctorsoprano
  • They don't get special dispensations to ignore the law

Ultimately, I believe that rule of law is a lot more important than what any specific minority think should be law. If it's legal for homosexual couples to be married, and also illegal to discriminate, on any level, because of sexuality, then by refusing to marry homosexual couples the catholic church, or indeed any other church, would be committing an illegal act of sexual discrimination. They are subject to the same laws that any other individual or organization is, and they don't get to ignore them because they don't personally agree with them.

• There's nothing wrong

Gays getting married is ok your not going to the wedding if there going to he'll then let them go to hell if hell is real. Gays are people like straits. If you think they should not get married get your head checked please just don't care if you think they're not moral.

• Why is this even a question????

Of course the should be forced to marry gays! You cant turn down a job applicant or home buyer on the basis of sexual orientation so why should you be able to refuse them marriage.
    That said I do support separation of church and state because to quote George Carlin," I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death."
    In conclusion, if it is allowed by the laws they should be forced to marry homosexuals, because the supposed "law of god" should not ruin peoples lives. A true christian would grow up and be mature enough to love thy neighbor regardless of things like sexual orientation.

• The Catholic Church is a backward and repressive religion which needs to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st Century.

The Catholic Church has always been behind the times: until 1822 the Catholic Church refused to accept that the Earth revolved around the sun rather than the other way round and persecuted ‘heretic’ such as Galileo who promoted heliocentric scientific theories.

Devout Catholics today still refuse to accept scientific facts relating to the nature of the universe (simply dismissing observations in quantum mechanics and astrophysics that contradict the Bible without proper explanation).

The Catholic Church needs to better represent the more enlightened social attitudes of our times and that means they ought to host same sex marriages

• Yes i agree of same sex marriage

Yes i agree of same sex marriage becasue, every people in this world have a freedom to choose, in the same sex marriage , only heart can choose the love. Not in soul . And me i don't care what are thinking of people arrown us! If we now each other they will live happy.

• I support same sex marriages, but I have to go with the churches...

We have to remember that church and state are separate. As long as they don't anything illegal. We can't stop them from deny people to marriage in their churches. We have to learn to respect everyone's traditions and what they believe. If it's anyone we should be mad at its the federal government from treating same sex couples as trash. The churches have nothing to do with that.

• Doctorsoprano, how old are you and have you finished high school yet?

Another moronic question by either a very young person, uneducated person, or both.

Who can force a private organization like the Catholic Church to do that doctorsoprano?

The Church is a private organization. It can have any rules it wants about who can get married in the chruch. And, in the USA, the practice of religion is protected under the Constitution. A church's religious beliefs cannot be violated by the State or Federal government, unless that Church breaks the law.

The church marriage ceremony is a private event and does not create a legal marriage; you must first get a marriage license in your state. The Catholic Church is breaking no laws by not marrying gays.

“Marriage in the Catholic Church, also called matrimony, is a "covenant by which a man and a woman establish between themselves a partnership of the whole of life and which is ordered by its nature to the good of the spouses and the procreation and education of offspring. It has been raised by Christ the Lord to the dignity of a sacrament between the baptised." Matrimony, from the Latin mater, "mother," and monium, "-mony" (status) is the creation of the status of mother. In the Roman Rite, it is ordinarily celebrated in a Nuptial Mass.
    Http://en.Wikipedia.Org/wiki/Marriage_(Catholic_Church)

Why don't you complete your profile and put your birth date in?

I don't like replying to comments posted by people that are not honest and mature enough to complete their profiles.

• As a supporter of gay marriage, no

I believe that gay marriage should be legal on a federal level. Anything short of that would be discrimination. However, private institutions, such as churches, should be allowed to deny marriage to gays if they so choose. To legislate otherwise would be to encroach on their religious freedom, when gay couples can get married at other institutions,

• Making them won't help it.

It's just a matter of time before gays become publically accepted everywhere. Gay marriage will become a normal thing with future generations. So to adapt to the future, church will allow gay marriage. It's just that homophobia is highly found among older generations, and younger generations are finding the subject more and more normal. And since younger generations will be responsible of the catholic church, they will allow it someday.

• Marriage Isn't Cultural

If the Catholic Church were forced to provide marriage for homosexual couples then it would violate a fundamental tenant of Catholic belief, namely, the Sacraments.

Also, I remember an analogy by Chesterton (I think) that imagined a group of people stumbling accross a building in the woods. Now, would it make much sense for the group to destroy the building because they don't know what it's for? Obviously not. It would make more sense to investigate the purpose of the building before one goes dismantling and repurposing. So it goes with marriage. People try to redefine a sacred reality to suit cultural commonplace. It won't work. Marriage runs deeper. If our bodies reveal who we really are as male and female (and it's blatantly, physically obvious really), then two persons of the same gender are inherently unable to be bound sacramentally just as they are unable to be bound biologically and even socially.

• Religion cannot be influenced by the government

We have a separation between church and state for a reason, so neither gets involved in another's affairs. Government cannot interfere with religion, and religious institutions can have any laws they want. Look at the WBC. A person can join or leave any church they want, and it is not the government's responsibility to be involved.

• Their bible says no, they should too.

If they have a bible that clearly states that marriage was made for one man and one woman, why is this even a topic? I know that it says that two people of the same gender should not be married. I've read the bible. So why should they allow it today? Their bibles say no, their God says no, I think that should settle it for them.

• No! No! No!

God made Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve!

I totally disagree with gay marriages but this is only in my opinion. I think it is wrong but i'm not going to try to prove it is wrong. I just think that way and have been brought up being told that it is wrong. Isn't being gay something to do with a certain gene or something that has gone wrong with chromosomes?

• Separation of Church and State.

The Church can not get involved in Government, the Government can not get involved in Church. You don't like how Church does it? Who cares?

The Government may not make laws regarding Religion or Religious Institutions. If Gay people don't like it, form their own Civil Union, or use the State's version (I think it's actually called a Civil Union.)

What belongs to the Church, is the Church's and no one else has reign over it, and no one may tell the Church how to use it.

• You can not regulate churches.

Churches are private religious institutions, whose entire purpose of being is to have its members follow a certain set of morals or beliefs. To impose a regulation on religious institution is to oppress the freedoms which are guaranteed in the first amendment. If homosexual couples wish to marry with a religious institution, but their religion does not agree with the practice, they should ask themselves 'Is this really the religion I believe in?'

Ragnar says2013-08-09T03:25:26.397
This got asked just the other day...