Should religious people feel free to criticize atheism?

Asked by: SegBeg
  • But of course

Everything, and I do absolutely mean EVERYTHING is open to criticism, ANYONE can criticise whatever they want, a serial rapist can criticise the law for example.

Nothing and no one is above criticism, and it's ridiculous that atheists would get mad that religious people would criticise them, I don't believe in god either but that doesn't mean I'm not open to criticism

• But of course

• Yes, as with usual things.

Criticism is always fine, given it is polite. If you critique the way something was done, it's not wrong, you're just expressing your opinion, which is something we all can do. Similarly, if you critique atheism, as long as you're polite about it, you're just expressing your opinion. However, if you criticize someone for their appearance, that's not very nice. Similarly, what starts out as expressing opinion can lead to heated debate when discussing religion. So in summary, criticism, when polite, is just expressing opinion, which makes criticizing atheism fine.

• If atheists should be free to criticize religion, why shouldn't religious people feel free to criticize atheism?

I see many articles online about how atheists should be free to criticize any religion-including Islam (which seems to be off limits at the moment) and rightly so. However, I find that whenever a religious person criticizes atheism, atheists go NUTS. Why? They are always on and about how religious people believe their faiths should be immune to criticism when they have the exact same attitude. If atheists can criticize my beliefs, I should be able to criticize theirs- without legal consequences.