Should Republicans continue to filibuster the Paycheck Fairness Act?

• Yes, Republicians should continue to filibuster

Everyone deserves equal pay based on their experience and education. However, dealing with topics like fair pay takes Congress’ attention away from important topics like finally creating a budget and figuring out the debt ceiling fiasco. Besides, right now everyone is struggling. Many women don’t even have jobs. Instead of trying to enact legislature to create equal pay, Congress should try to find ways to help the private sector create jobs for women and men. Maybe after the United States has decent job growth and a healthy economy Republicans won’t have a reason to filibuster the Paycheck Fairness Act.

• No, I believe the filibuster in general is abused.

I believe that the filibuster is not supposed to be used as a tool to block every piece of legislation but only for specific pieces of legislation where Senators take moral stands. The fact is, the House of Representatives has the ability to weigh in on bills and the Senate has no reason to stand in the way of the legislative process. But then there is the Paycheck Fairness Act itself. What are Republicans doing filibustering legislation on paycheck fairness except standing in the way of equal treatment of all individuals, particularly women? I believe this bill among many deserves an up or down vote.

• No, though it's no surprise they do

I wouldn't put it past the Republicans to filibuster anything that isn't a direct boon to big business, and this is certainly no exception. A lot of the bills we have in place today might as well be called the Paycheck Unfairness Act, the way Americans are exploited in terms of labor and benefits (in relation to work conditions in other countries).

• Should Republicans continue to filibuster the Paycheck Fairness Act?

Today, the Paycheck Fairness Act is about men and women of all races receiving equal pay for equal work. Now equal pay for equal work only means work that is of equal value and effort. If someone has a job that has different job requirements, then equal pay for equal work would not be a contender. One of the main issues is the amount of money that women make versus what men make. Women are still making seventy-seven cents to the dollar. I, being a woman, think that women should receive equal pay for equal work and what is monetarily due them when it comes to work requirements. Therefore, I think that the Republicans should allow the Paycheck Fairness Act to pass.