• Danger! Danger! Danger!

These eyesores pose a serious danger to other motorists. Imagine being ejected from a car or motorcycle and you'd have survived if not being impaled or decapitated by one of these selfish displays. In most cases roadside religious endorsement occurs on public secular land. Please respect the wishes and religious beliefs of everyone and not just your own selfish desires. Nothing can bring a loved one back from the grave. Nothing.

• Yes - they are distracting and depressing

Not only are roadside memorials another distraction for drivers that already too unaware these days, but these memorials are also depressing. While they may be nice reminders for friends and families of the victims, the rest of us don't want to constantly be reminded that death can happen at any point along the roads we use.

• Roadside memorials SHOULD be banned.

I believe that roadside memorials should be banned. My belief is that having memorials on the side of the road cause a major distraction with people looking at them which could lead to more accidents. People are distracted enough as it is when they drive and a lot of them don't pay attention as it is. One thing that we don't need is more distractions on the road.

• Roadside circus

They are turning their loved one's death into a circus...Especially when there is more than one item left. Anyone who leaves these "memorials" attached to road signs should be arrested. That is extremely dangerous. I'm sorry you have lost a loved one but don't hinder my loved ones view from important road signs. Causing another persons death just so you could memorialize your loved one is reckless at best. My father died in his bedroom after he lost his battle with cancer. How foolish it would look if we were placing crosses, flowers, trinkets, and whatnot all over the area where he died. My first true love died when he was 19, I was 18. I am so thankful that nobody marked the place of his death along side the road. His close personal loved ones are well aware of where that spot is...No need to make a spectacle of it. There is a reason we have cemeteries. Memorialize your loved one there.

• Not a place for your grief

No one wants to be reminded of death at many street corners, nor have to see religious symbols on public hi ways. Stop asking the public to share in your grief, pay your respects at a cemetery where the rest of us do. There is one in my neighboring town where a young guy doing 80 mph blew a red light and hit a car entering the intersection. Totally his fault, has a history of this kind of driving and traumatized the other driver for life. No place to memorialize this incident, not accident, these riders bring it on themselves, I see it every day. He was reckless, broke the law and died, deal with it in private, I don't need to see it.

• Should Roadside Memorial be banned

I think these things should be banned for numerous reasons. 1) They are depressing and remind me every time I see one that I lost a child. I don't need that thrown in my face everyday. 2) Crosses. I am not a Christian and think that those religions shrines have no place on our highways. 3) They are ugly. 4) they make it hard for the people who mow our road sides jobs more difficult 5) we have cemeteries for that 6) the ones with lights etc are really distracting at night on a dark rural highways

• Ban roadside memorials

They are distracting,tacky looking and some of us don't care where someone died. Some intersections around here have 5 to 6 memorials at them. Then the families start competing to see who can erect the largest one. There is a place for memorials and it is called a cemetery .

• Eye soreojjo. In

Don't even know m8 bhhbyibhibyibibbvyvvygtftutyrutfytfytfufut. Hvhb h. But j j j j j j j j j j hbhh hbh h h h up g yttrium cut he gh bm mom n, kn n, n,n h g gh go vh vh g hug. G just just h in hi jo be bhi ih hbh h hi ih h j

• Scofflaws and littering!

Technically they are littering. Pay respects in a cemetery or place an eternal flame on the gravesite. It is hazardous to place yourself in danger erecting and maintaining these memorials and potentially hurting others in the process. If we put up memorials wherever someone dies, we would have too many reminders. Move on and live your life instead of living in the past.

• Roadside memorials are distracting for drivers.

Morning the loss of a loved one is important to the healing process. Take into consideration though that a driver distracted by the memorial left on the side of the road could result in another fatality! If you or someone you know and care about have done memorials carefully and respectfully remove it from the site. Your love one you lost will understand and support you for for saving a life.

• People have different ways of grieving and make a big deal out of nothing.

Maybe it's because I live in a less urban area, but that cross, Buddah, Star of David, or Baphomet statue that's ten to fifteen feet away from the road isn't gonna spring to life and jump in the middle of the road. If it was on the sidewalk or on state property or being smashed overhead, then yeah that would be a problem, but the average propped-up against a tree memorial isn't gonna hurt anyone.

• It's there to hounour and remeber it is not slefish if your doing it in memory for you loss of a loved one

If you want less memorials then be careful on roads and be safe!Its for the good of the victims family and the community to come together and mourn the loss of people who died and they never even said goodbye to these people so when you see these memorials give respect no matter what religion/background it is for he victims family so be polite and comfort the people in our community who have suffered this tragic loss in there family

• In Memory of my son, Joel. 3/8/87-2-9-13

The memorial not only gives their family, friends and members of the community a sense of comfort, but the memorial also serves as a reminder to all who pass the importance of safety.

Memorials tell the story of lives taken too soon – they have become personal statements bearing witness to a life lost and they act as a memento to others both to offer a moment of quiet reflection on the significance of the fragility of a persons life, and as a heeded warning of dangers we have become too complacent in noticing.
    "Roadside memorials are folk art created out of love and grief. Unfettered by regulations or cost, they are creative acts, restorative acts in the face of destruction. They allow the remembrance to be matched with the death; the death happened in public, the memorial needs to be public, in the very venue that is so intimately connected with the deceased, the place where he died. And since the death was sudden, unexpected, and maybe senseless but not unique, roadside memorials let people know that a particular person, an individual, was alive. They say, we will not let you die unnoticed, you are valuable, you deserve to be remembered. And they invite the world to join in."

• Want fewer memorials? Drive more safely

The privilege of driving a motor vehicle on public roads carries with it great responsibility. Too many people do not appreciate this and drive without proper consideration for other road users, the belief that they are safe within their vehicle fixed in their mind. Roadside memorials are a poignant reminder that irresponsible driving can and does take lives.

• Reminders of danger.

One of the supporting arguments, said that they are distracting and make accidents more likely. Personally, when I see a roadside memorial, it reminds me how dangerous driving can be and makes me drive more carefully and pay more attention. At least temporarily, they improve my own driving, and I see no reason why they should be banned.

• Of course not.

It's an opportunity to learn about a fellow human being. If someone died on the road, it is important to know just how dangerous the roads are. It's a respect of a human life that was taken far too soon. I always make the sign of the cross and a wish the poor soul peace and for his/her family peace.

• No, they serve a great purpose

Roadside memorials are decried as 'depressing' and 'eyesores', which is exactly what I hope they should be. We manage to live our lives every day, for the most part, anesthetized to any real emotions. The pinnacle of our empathy for others usually ends at handing a homeless person a dollar. But roadside memorials are one of those rare human emblems in our hum drum lives that actually make you stop, even for just a moment, and consider the pain and damage caused by recklessness. We can afford the departed a second of our conscious thought.

If having an emotion is too distracting for drivers, they ought not be driving to begin with.

• No, they shouldn't be banned

Roadside memorials shouldn't be banned as long as they are not making the area unsafe for people. If having a memorial on the side of the road as a reminder of a lost loved one makes someone feel better then who are we to tell them they are not allowed to. That would be inhumane and unfair.

Posted by: jus
  • No, banning roadside memorials is not practical.

Are we really going to arrest the grieving friends and relatives of accident victims who are trying to commemorate the tragic death of a loved one? These memorials should also serve as a warning to drivers, riders and pedestrians that condition at that part of the road may be hazardous. There should be guidelines for memorials to make sure that they are not too distracting, but banning them goes too far.

• They don't do any harm

The roadside is full of distractions; if we're going to ban roadside memorials, then we'd better ban billboards, neon signs, weird looking people walking along the road in flashy clothes, and everything else that is likely to cause a distraction, because that's the only way the roadside will ever be free of distractions.