Should school age children choose what to wear at school

Asked by: brock_morgan
  • Of course we should

All people have a right and so do children so I don't see why we cannot allow the new generation to choose their own outfits as we should not put these silly restrictions on them as we should allow them to express their emotions, even if they look different to the rest they themselves can learn from others and isn't that what school is all about? Learning?

• We have the right to express our style!!

Teens and children should have the right to express their style. They aren't going to be able to show teachers and other students who they are and their personality. Clothes don't distract other people in school. Some may say that you spend all night trying to decide what to wear, but no one stays up just to pick an outfit. I agree that schools should have a dress code, but uniforms are not necessary.

• Yes. Older Children should be able to choose what they wear.

Though many people would argue that bad logos, ripped jeans, or skimpy clothes can either distract or disrupt a child's school experience, it is usually the rules against logos,etc, rather than the logos themselves that make them distracting. If a dress code says that a shirt's logo must be smaller than , say, two inches, for example, what normally wouldn't attract attention gathers a crowd trying to measure it or to see if it is in dress code. Also, the children will always find ways to look or be distracting regardless of clothes.

• No! Children should not be given the rights to choose what they wear.

A shirt, tie and blazer may not be the ingredients for my favourite outfit, but if I were given the choice, I wouldn’t throw away the idea of school uniform. Wearing a uniform is a badge of pride, creates an identity for a school and is an important part of being a school student.

• No, school age children should wear a uniform instead of choosing an outfit to wear to school.

Seeing as the latest fashion trends are showing chokers, short skirts, short shorts, lots of holes in jeans, crop tops, see-through shirts, etc., I feel as if students would be easier to be harrassed in a sexual or non-sexual way easier. I'm not saying they can't wear this outside of school, but, I'm saying they shouldn't wear this to school because it would cause a few problems, not with learning or education, but with self esteem and possibly even more reasons. I also am quite fond of school uniforms, because they are modest, can be quite stylish and perfect for not staying up all night/wasting time in the morning, choosing an outfit for school. You don't have to agree with my opinion, and I won't judge you for it, because it is fine to disagree with whatever anyone says. Thank you for reading.

• Thats a very good debate there!

I personaly think school going children (Grade 0 - Grade 12) MUST have uniforms because its the best path to groom a child. With all chil;dren going to scholl dressed in skimpy clothing, following all fashion trends, competing etc all lead to bullying, low self-esteem, stealing to get recognized as well. I really think first world countries should adopt African school stystem in terms of children( Grade 0 - 12) to wear a uniform and only have what is called ' civic day' where they can dress up in clothes.. But wen it comes to school children need a dresscode and that is a uniform!