Should school be open all 365 days of the year, and let us decide when to go to school instead of letting the county decide?

Asked by: MrToonster
  • I think so

I am in high school, 10th grade. In my opinion school should be open all 365 days of the year, and we should decide when to go to school instead of making the county decide. If we want to go to school on Saturday we should be able go to school that time. Besides, this also lets you have a better social life too. I was actually impatient for school one weekend...

• No way this would work

There is no way this system could work. If you even wanted this system to work efficient at all then you would need to keep track of each person and how much or how little work they have done. Also you need to make sure kids are coming enough days of the year. Also some kids may get behind because the teacher is teaching stuff and then you leave and you come back and there is a completely different thing being taught because they covered it while you were gone. This system would be way to crazy to control and it is a lot easier just to have it the way it is.

• This actually sounds like a quality idea.

Well, obviously this may present an issue for teachers. This being said,, classroom sizes would most likely increase in size. However, this may adhere to the original intents of schooling.

Students are notorious for curiosity, before being forced by law through an indoctrination system which depletes them of their will to learn. Given the fundamental resources, a student will happily research an area of study which happens to interest them. However, the system you suggest may offer students a preferable schedule, enhancing their ability to comprehend information (e.G. Students can arrive when they deem fit). You know, at one point people actually voluntarily participated in school. It was not because "they were disciplined", rather, they enjoyed learning for the sake of learning.

I believe the students' dissidence in public education is a reflection of indoctrination as opposed to discipline and learning. I believe a system like this would propose philosophical studies instead of rotational studies, bound by memorization. Anyone with a sense of perception can understand the most basic fact about public education: It is not learning; it is indoctrination.

• Beneficial for Students

Students will get a better education with it open all 365 days of the year-even if we don't make it 365 days we should increase the number of days. When students get to choose when they go to school, they don't see it as being forced to go to school, they see it as an option and are more likely to try when they do go.

• I hate school!

I hate school i hate school i hate school i hate school i hate school i hate school i hate school i hate school i hate school i hate school i hate school i hate school i hate school i hate school i hate school i hate school i hate school

• No just no

People can anyway get tutors and extra classes on weekends. And if students decide when to go to school the majoirty will skip -people already do. It will also affect everyone elses education if people are going at different times- how does every keep up. The teachers and students will get stressed.

• No no and no

Chances are, the learners or the students may rebel much because it is up to them when and where they will go to school. Chances are, mrs chair they will not go often, and the parents would not know if their sons and dughters are going to schoolor not. And in that case, learning is not essential any more for the students because they can find an escape for their responsibilities. It is a big argue,ent if they will let this happen because 1, the teachers will have hard time upon tracing when did the last time the student came. And 2 the student's are not always present in the discussions so they will end up just taking that certain subject the next time because they don't know whats the topic all about etc etc. 3 the teachers will be reapeting her discussion again and again and again because of the absences of one student to another. For me, mrs chair we should not take the education an option because this is where we can have a better life in the future. So the things that I tackle about mrs chair are tracing the attendance of students 2 the absence of the student that will leave a student no choice but to drop one subject or so. 3 repetition of the topic discussed of one student to another thats all mrs. Chair

• People may like it, but our time doesn't

Many students have jobs, sports, or any other after school activities. Imagine every school in the US trying to fix their schedule for these kids. It's a horrible idea. I am a student in high school and honestly I'd love it if I could choose what time I do what things but if you look at the big picture of how everything will have to work out, it's gonna colapse.

• It would be WAY too Complicated

I cannot put enough emphasis on the way too complicated part. How would you organize tests, and final exams, and special events if students simply decided not to show up most days.

Not only the students, but think about the teachers, and the staff. Think they'd appreciate working every day, on weekends, and on holidays.

All in all, it would just be a mess.

• A dumb idea

Teachers have curriculums that are set up and if kids do not show up every day then they cannot adequately teach them. They need kids to be there so they don't miss anything. A 365 day school year is not only cruel but wouldn't be effective as I'm not really sure there is 365 days worth of content to teach in high school. It's not like making the year longer will make kids smarter, it is the students and teachers themselves that impact the effectiveness of schools.

Posted by: 6ix
  • No way this would work

• No no no

We nee d to all be on schedule and all learn in concert. If we left when we wanted that would be a complete mess. We need to have more regulation. Plus we need breaks. Its easier if everyone's breaks are at the same time so we are all on the same page.