• It Is Absolutely Pointless

If you are going to be a mathematician, why would you need to remember 50 quotes from Shakespeare? At that point it's worthless trivia. If you want to be a chef, you will likely never use the quadratic equation in your life ... Ever.
    Life is short -- too short to spend 20+ years of it having useless information shoved down your throat, and the other 30 working yourself to death, when at that point, it's too late to do anything, because you're slowly becoming more reliant on medication and a cane.
    In school, they tell you that if you don't pay attention, you will become a homeless criminal on drugs, and stuck in prison, which has been disproved too many times to be a viable argument.
    And finally there's the "4.0 GPA Equals A Perfect Life" argument. Sure, it may make you seem more attractive to an employer who cares nothing for you, except how you can make them richer, and maybe if you're lucky you'll get a nice job, have a nice family, and have a perfect life, but if you take a look around you, I'm sure at least 1 out of 5 people had a pretty hot GPA, but look where they are, not far ahead if any, at all, ahead of the one who no one thought would be successful, but many scholastic underdogs, dropped out and are independent thinkers, and global leaders -- better off than the many star students who ended up working at the local grocery store, getting their degrees for nothing. The evidence of the weakness in the school systems is quite obvious -- everywhere, in fact, but most ignore it. Parents force their children to attend school, without even researching whether it is effective or not, because they were forced to go to school, and told not to question it, so now there's an infinite loop of conformity, and lack of desire to be different, due to fear of the unknown, and no desire to find an alternative, resulting and many, many worker drones to be pumped out, but there's little creativity, or innovation in an everyday life.
    So, should school be optional? That's obvious enough.

• Wanted: The Motivated

If school is optional, not required, but a choice that every student has to make, then only those who want to be there will be. Teachers will strive to make their classes sought after, and students will know that going to school will help them in the long run. Saying that school is optional does not mean that no one will go, it simply means that the quality will improve.

• Who needs school when you could be doing something fun!

I am in 5th grade and all do is homework I wish school was optional cuz then there would be no homework just shopping, playing games, eating, and sleeping. Other peoples say school is worth it because then you can get a great scholarship. And get into a great collage, I mean I still am going to go to collage but I still don't want to go through middle school and high school. I could just be on the couch right now watchmen movies and playin games but no, I gotta go to school. I think I will never change my mind that school is a waste of time. And for the cafeteria you should not have to pay to get food I know I know the cooks have to pay to get the food but our parents should not have to pay for their kids to pay to eat at school. And for people even at private schools they should not have to wear uniforms to school they should have right to express their style of clothing . See people school is a waste of time and for me my fav subjects would have to be Science. Cuz you get to do fun experiments. And that's why I think school should be optional.

• Right to Freedom

Schools merely teach young people how to pass exams, and barely teach them any useful life skills. As free human beings, we have the right not to attend schools should we wish not to, and for this reason I think that school attendence should be entirely optional. Who has the right to tell us we have to go to school?

• Family,School, and Time

Not only do we have to worry about school but we also need to worry about our families we are spending most of our time in school than with our families we will only have our families for so long but we can always go back to school to get our G.E.D'S

• Compulsory education denies freedom

For around 13 years of childhood you are expected to attend school for usually around 8 hours a day (one third of a day, though another 8 is usually used sleeping) and be learning things you may never use or think about ever again. I think it may be better to have children educated to a certain point (such as basic communication, basic maths, etc) and then not educate them with all the unnecessary things that are taught to children now. If they want to expand their knowledge then of course they would likely do this and you would be able to spend a large portion of your time on one subject rather than spread out on different subjects that you may not be interested in or want to do at all. Your education is made up of things that other people seem to think people 'should' know and may even be biased information because it is all based off what others (the government) want you to know.

You should be able to educate yourself with what you want to know, not what others want you to know and your level of education shouldn't have an effect on whether or not you get a certain job.

• The Right of Ignorance

Let's be honest. Anyone who doesn't want to go to school is not going to pay attention or learn anything anyway. If you have no drive or want to learn, you're not going to. If you choose to not go to school, great. They can do what they want while the rest of us get educated, and get jobs, while at the same time lowering tax rates and raising education standards since, if people are there because they want to learn, odds are they will do better. This will only work though if welfare programs are abolished or more regulated though, because then we'll just be stuck paying their bills!

• Let stupid be stupid

Keeping people at school when they do not want to be there is just wasting time for everybody. We are lowering the overall quality of education for all people and it is bad for our overall knowledge as a nation. If people quit and slow the class down it will not help to keep those people at school.

• Yes Because It's Never Okay To Take Innocent People's Lives Away From Them

Here are the two biggest things you can do wrong to get yourself locked up, forced to work for no pay, and have officers come after you if you escape: commit a serious crime, or be born too recently. Most criminals don't even spend as many years like that as we force people to spend in school. Everyone knows school is a toxic environment. Just because something happened to you does not mean you should pass it on to your kids.

• School should be optional.

I have endured the schooling system and from my personal experience, there comes a time when you have acquired the competence to understand the risk you run when you quit school. If we let anyone just quit, then nearly all of Kindergarten through 8th grade quitting. I hated school, my whole life. It never worked for me, in any way. I would do anything not to go. But eventually sometime right before I entered high school I realized how stupid and uneducated I'd be and realized how important school was for individuals even if they might hate it. I think a system should be formalized where everyone goes to school for a set amount of time or until "competence" is acquired where one would understand the reparations and risks involved with quitting school. So perhaps before high school? Also I believe everyone has the right to do what they want with their life. Of course they need to have some knowledge but if they choose before high school to not go to schooling anymore, why not let them leave? They most likely would reject all forms of teaching or learning anyway? They would just most likely become a burden to the school.

• Lets not be BABOONS

Hello, my name is Bryan and I think that school shouldn't be optional. I'm in 7th grade and I think that we should have to go to school.

1.) to all the young kids that are in school think about how you got to the grades you're in. You know that feeling of being smart and relief after you pass a grade...... Well imagine if you didn't get that feeling. What about when you go up to get an award for graduation and finally everyone claps for you, well you don't get any fame or recognition when you don't have school.

2.) so you know how all of you want to become millionaires and billionaires, well that's not going to happen if you don't have an education. In fact what could you do sit around and talk the three words that you know? I mean seriously, you need an education.

3.) so you all like having friends, being popular and all that great stuff well imagine not having friends other then your siblings.... It would suck right.

Those are the reasons that I think school should be forced, a law, a way of life. So before you go dropping out of school ask yourself about these three things.

I am sorry if any of my words offended you I was just speaking from my heart.

• No. It assures we will stay civilized.

All functioning societies in the civilized world have some form of schooling in place. There may be a great variety, including home schooling for people who do not want to attend a regular school. However, education in a structured setting is necessary to produce a population that can support itself economically and socially. The fabric of society would dissolve if people did not come together to teach kids the basics about how the world works and how to get along.

• Kids can't make choices

Kids going to school are very young. They are not able to make important choices like this. The decision is important because it will affect their knowledge and ability. If you don't have the knowledge or ability to do a job, you won't get a job. You will end up a rubbish truck driver, dumb.

• No school today

Due to extreme weather conditions, I believe we should not have school. It will be very dangerous for people taking the bus and other transportations. You can get frostbite within minutes of being outside if you are not properly dress. I have to take the buss home AND then walk a few blocks home, I don't want to be in the freezing cold today. I do not feel safe.

• School should be about learning not rules

Children are required to be in school, where their freedom is greatly restricted, far more than most adults would tolerate in their workplaces. In recent decades we’ve been compelling them to spend ever more time in this kind of setting, and there’s strong evidence that this is causing psychological damage to many of them. And as scientists have investigated how children naturally learn, they’ve realized that kids do so most deeply and fully, and with greatest enthusiasm, in conditions that are almost opposite to those of school….
    Most people assume that the basic design of today’s schools emerged from scientific evidence about how children learn. But nothing could be further from the truth.
    Schools as we know them today are a product of history, not research.
    ….
    Research has shown that people of all ages learn best when they are self-motivated, pursuing answers to questions that reflect their personal interests and achieving goals that they’ve set for themselves. Under such conditions, learning is usually joyful.
    The evidence for all of this is obvious to anyone who’s watched a child grow from infancy to school age. Through their own efforts, children figure out how to walk, run, jump, and climb. They learn from scratch their native language, and with that, they learn to assert their will, argue, amuse, annoy, befriend, charm, and ask questions.
    They do all of this before anyone, in any systematic way, tries to teach them anything.
    This amazing drive and capacity to learn does not turn itself off when children reach five or six. But we turn it off with our coercive system of schooling.

• No it should not.

Once you graduate from high school it should be but not before that. School is important for children and teenagers because there is a lot they need to know just to function in the every day real world and to get a job in society. So no it should not be optional.

• Making better society.

By giving people education, we are doing the greater good, and it shouldnt be their option, because school, basically, teaches the students useful life skills, and also to be responsible, etc. That knowledge they are learning will make them good citizens. And to grow, to prosper, society needs good citizens. Not some, but many. And this is why school should not be optional: because it is for the greater good of society. It is best that we form good citizens that will help us rise, and prosper and thrive. And therefore it is our duty to form them to be so. And therefore, this motion clearly should fall..

• Education Necessary to Get Ahead

Whether a child's education is in a public school setting or at home, school is not optional for children growing up. Reading, writing and arithmetic are necessary components of a child's upbringing that helps prepare younger people for adulthood. The type of schooling a kid receives should be optional, but not getting an education in general.

• No

Kids that old do not understand how important it is to be in school and how important later on it will be to have at least a high school diploma. It is our job to keep them involved until we think that they are of the age that they can make that decision on their own.

• We need education.

I know some people say that education is not a needed thing, but any job you want or anything you might need to do in life you do need some sort of education. Whether you are going to be a McDonald's Fry cook or if you are going to be a doctor. You need to know at least Algebra II math otherwise you would not know anything about how to add things up as in paying mortgage. You say you can have fun without an education, but if your going to think that you can just get by in life without an education. I'm sorry but you are terribly wrong. Even though you spend 8 hours a day in school it's all worth it in the long run. If you pay attention in school you will be able to make a way more better wage in any job. Yes, I'm not going to lie some things you can have a little to no education to work some jobs. You could be a rapper that gets signed to a label, but you do need to know English words.