Should school focus on what children want to be in the future instead of the fix core subject?

• Yes, to a point

I couldn't figure out what I wanted to be in High School, though I really wished I would have been more able to focus on what I enjoyed doing, which was Art. We are allowed to take certain electives but we are not fully told what opportunities are out there for the fields that we would be interested in pursuing in the future. So many kids end up in jobs they may not really want.

• What we learn may not be use in the future job we do

What we learn in school may or may not be useful, it all depends on what we want to be or work as in the future. Yes I agree we need basic but instead of further the studies on each core subject, we should allow children to focus on the jobs they want to do.

• Many of the things learned won't be useful

Take Mean Absolute Deviation for example, that is currently required for students to learn, and my math teacher even said himself that he has never used it in his life and that he thinks it shouldn't be required. Due to the fact that far to many of the things learned in core classes will never be used in every day life. Example; when would you need to know about the anatomy of a cell if all you wanted to do was create music? We could also get students to really focus in on what they want to be before somebody shoots down their dreams. So that later in life they don't end up stuck wondering what could have been. This would also cut down the time required to be spent in school, and people could begin working towards their dreams even faster, as a result of this humanity would likely become more productive. However I do think that core classes should only be required through grade five. Not everybody wants to become a rocket scientist, or a surgeon, or a mathematician.

• Students shouldn't stress over subjects they aren't planning to use in the future.

Students are often found in situations where they are struggling in a subject and have to devote most of their attention to it. However, they are not interested in the subject, nor do they plan to use it in the future. I think the school should help students figure out what they want to do in the future, and allow them to switch courses accordingly. If I want to be an engineer, for example, I shouldn't have to be pushed into an art class and spend weeks on end on painting and drawing. Plus, less effort would usually be shown towards classes a student thinks is a waste of time, leading to worse grades. However, I feel that the school should at LEAST keep math and ELA/Literacy as core classes to teach basic math, but then they can be changed once a student gets older. A student focused on writing and journalism shouldn't be forced to learn the same advanced math a rocket scientist might use.

• Learning the core subjects helps you find what you want to be in the future.

Sure, maybe 1 in 100 kids do know what they want to be since they're 7 and then go on growing up and doing what they wanted, but how many grown people can say what they thought they wanted to do on 2nd grade is what they actually do now? I know that personally, I changed my preferences 3 or 4 times from 1st grade till I finished high school. People can choose their subjects after they finish high school, which I think is a time when most people have at least a general idea of what they'd actually like to do. By not teaching them the core subjects you're denying the children an opportunity to find something else they may like, which they otherwise may never have the chance to. Sure all subjects have a few things in them that will be pretty useless, and the teachers will agree, but this is not about specific chapters of books, it's about the subjects in general.

• Versatile and Free, or Stuck in a Rut?

Schools should continue to teach the way they do. If students want to be an artist when they grow up, great! They should still learn the core subjects though. What if they want to change careers growing up? If they went to art school their whole life and know very little about math or science, they can't become a rocket scientist or anything. Also, what about basic life skills? They need to know math for paying rent and other bills. They need to know how to spell and write to write important documents and job applications. If you want a productive and great future, then we should continue to teach the core subjects to all students, even if they only want to be an artist.