Should School have music and art as a class/required in middle school?

Asked by: DebateMaster65
  • Band fam forever

I know the counter-argument for this one. That colleges or schools that matter don't actually look at your art and music grades. Perhaps. Unless you actually want to become an artist or musician. English, science, math, and social studies are very important classes to have, that's why the're required and are called 'core classes'. However, music and art help stimulate the brain. I know for fact, because I've been taking band for four years, that music can help during tests and other classes. The reason is, humans find pleasure in music. Our minds crave sound and rhythm, which is critical to the brain. Scientists have actually found links between science and music, and in the tests, there is undeniable evidence that music is a core learning skill just as well as math or English.
    Art is another stimulation to the mind. This is through expressiveness of emotion and feeling. If you're trapped inside four core classes every day, why not express those feeling through the use of art? I took art in eighth grade, and it changed my entire viewpoint on the importance of art in general, and my knowledge of history, which helped me out a little bit in social studies as well. I think overall, if student were more open to the ideas of expressing themselves and creating new things, we'd actually require schools to have music and art classes.

• Part of our life!

Music and Art should be a part of our daily classes because it is important to build creative skills in the child. Apart from studies, they also play a vital role in enhancing one's personality. And what if someone doesn't have any interest in studies? Then these all activities help the person to outshine...

• People don't want you music and art grades.

They want your maths, English and science grades. I don't mean to say that music and art are unimportant, but in order to get a decent job, you need your maths, English and science. No that is is not possible to have a job without them but it will be a whole lot more difficult. Now don't get me wrong. I love music. In fact, i am a musician: I sing and I play the piano and formerly the violin, but to be honest, art and music are only important if you are thinking of a career that requires it. Think about it; if you have dreams of being a scientist, would you waste your time taking art and music when it is not essential to what you want to do? Of course not! If you had a dream of being a professional musician or artist, would you take these subjects? Hopefully yes because they're essential to your career path. However, music and art should not be compulsory as companies will not care about your music and art grade (unless it is a creative business of course). They will be looking for you maths, English and science.

• We can learn it by ourselves.

I personally go to a tuition-like school where we just learn the main subjects of the IGCSE, and we don't have classes for art or music at all. This way we focus more on the main subjects while those who don't have much interest in music or arts don't need to invest time in that. We can, however, take up lessons or learn from Youtube ourselves, if we want and have the passion. Simply put, if you have the passion, having no art or music lessons at school will not stop you from learning it. I'd say middle school can have these lessons, but it shouldn't be an obligation.

Posted by: Jedd