• Time for other things?

For example my school starts at 7:35 in the morning and ends at 3:45 in the evening. That's 7 hours and 10 minutes of sitting down in 9 different classes where I could be outside and getting some exercise. So for now on schools need to have like a class a day.!!!!!!!!!

• school hours should be short

Students have a limited amount of power in school, which is one of the main reasons for cutting classes. Students feel as though schools try to contain them and that they are not able to be themselves. They are forced to sit in a chair for a certain amount of time and to quietly complete assignments.

• School hours should be shorter

Teachers don't know this but some of us HAVE LIVES. Y'ALL SHOULD UNDERSTAND THAT. AINT NOBODY GOT TIME TO SIT IN CLASS LISTENIN TO THINGS THAT WONT REALLY HELP US IN LIFE. IM WRITING IN CAPS CAUSE I FEEL STRONG BOUT DIS SO AGREE WITH ME. PLUS Y ON EARTH WOULD WE NEED MORE HOURS OF SCHOOL?! THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• School should have shorter!

Adolescents today face a widespread chronic health problem: sleep deprivation. Statistics show that students should be getting 8 1/2 to 9 1/2 hours of sleep each night. Many cases of sleep deprivation happen when children hit high school. Sleep is vital to your well-being, as important as the air you breathe, the water you drink and the food you eat. It can even help you to eat better and manage the stress of being a teen. Not getting enough sleep or having sleep difficulties can limit your ability to learn, listen, concentrate and solve problems. The roots of the problem include poor teen sleep habits that do not allow for enough hours of quality sleep; hectic schedules with afterschool activities and jobs, homework hours and family obligations; and a clash between societal demands, such as early school start times, and biological changes that put most teens on a later sleep-wake clock. As a result, when it is time to wake up for school, the adolescent’s body says it is still the middle of the night, and he or she has had too little sleep to feel rested and alert. Therefore schools have decided to change their school times and their start time is now at least at 8:30.
    In my opinion, as a senior in high school, I would prefer that school started later in the day yet still ended at the same time. This would allow the extra time to sleep yet still enough time for the classes and after school activities. Students are in school about seven hours a day. After school, many of these students participate in extra-curricular activities, such as sports, clubs, theater or volunteering. Although academic work is vital, these extra-curricular activities are also significant for students. In fact, most colleges require a wide variety of activities for incoming freshman students. But these important activities are often squeezed out by time in school and with homework. The educational system should focus on forming well-founded persons, but students are instead focusing primarily on intellectual pursuits. Less time in school could allow students the freedom to discover other interests that are fulfilling and stimulating.

• Students could focus on other activities.

Students are in school about seven hours a day. After school, many of these students participate in extra-curricular activities, such as sports, clubs, theater or volunteering. Although academic work is vital, these extra-curricular activities are also significant for students because they teach responsibility and teamwork. In fact, most colleges require a wide variety of activities for incoming freshman students. But these important activities are often squeezed out by time in school and with homework. The educational system should focus on forming well-founded persons, but students are instead focusing primarily on intellectual pursuits. Less time in school could allow students the freedom to discover other interests that are fulfilling and stimulating.

• Teachers Need a Longer Break.

Teachers do not deserve to be at school early, then teaching children for seven hours, then having to stay late to mark the children's work, to then drive home to make dinner and eat, but then by the time they have finished, it would be fairly late, so teachers would need to go straight to bed and watch TV. Teachers deserve a longer break. If school hours were shorter, teachers would be able to do all of the above in seven hours! Teachers need a break, I should know, I am one.

• 4 hours is plenty!!!!!!

7 hours a day is an unnecessary amount of time to spend in school each day. As a student I spend a good half of the day sitting around doing nothing. If school were 4 hours long I would get all of my work done without wasting any time, I would be more motivated to go to school, I would get more sleep, and I would have more time to invest towards exercise, a job, maybe even studying something I want to learn more about.

• School should be shorter!

There are some schools in the uk which start at 8:15 and finish at 5:00!!!!!!!!!!! This is way too long for the children and can be very tiring
    plus if u finish at 5 o'clock in the winter it gets dark and that's not safe for children who are walking home.

• If they are stuck behind a desk, they are sure to skip.

Students don't want to be stuck at school for 7+ hours and not have the ability to get out of there. Students at my school will have their parents call them in sick and then they go shopping with other kids or go out somewhere. I think that skipping isn't good but if having shorter days is what needs to happen then why won't schools have shorter days. If schools have shorter days then there is a higher chance of kids showing up to school everyday, like if they made school shorter and started later then students would get up, get ready, and go to school but when you have to wake up around 5 in the morning you have to expect kids to skip.

• School is too long

I think students are suffering hugely from the amount of hours they have to go to school for each day. I think it's effecting their concentration in the later lessons as a lot of people can't keep concentrated and focused for 7 hours every day therefore school hours should be shorter

• No, school hours should not be shorter.

In my opinion, a shorter day would not allow enough time to carry on effective teaching techniques and a well rounded curriculum.
    I see my children coming home from school every day full of new knowledge and very excited about learning. There are no signs that the day was too long for them.
    Furthermore, if schools ended earlier it would cost a lot to working families in terms of after-school care for the children.

• Do not shorten school hours

No, I do not think school hours should be shorter. Many schools such as my child's can't even get everything in in the time they are at school. They only get art and music once a week and PE 2 times a week. There should be more instructional time for kids and less time spent on homework.

• School is important

School is the basis for learning to reach better goals in life. I understand why people don't care for it, but thats only because they don't take the time to even try to enjoy it. I'm not saying that school is the best thing since sliced bread, what I'm saying is school is important to carry out your future. It isn't always fun, but I'm glad that I'm in school and don't really understand why everyone hates it to such a degree as they do.

• EDUCATION is needed

Children need more education, in order to have a job and a worth while life. The children of other country's have school year round, so how is several more hours bad? I say America is not united till its children are educated. The children are the answer, so let them be educated!

• NO!There shouldn't be that much of school time

You will not have enough time to learn as much stuff in school.You can't socialize a lot with others and make new friends.At school you still get brakes like morning recess and lunch,while having brakes like summer brake and winter brake ect.That's how you make memories and learn from your mistakes with others

• Because summer will be shorter

Summer will be longer. A longer Summer mean kids might be not wanting to go to school. School will also be boring and alto more more things will have a terrible to a kid I think kids would ditch school more often then usual kids will hate it even more.

• Yes less stress

We should have less school hours because we wont have as much stress. We don't need a lot of stress because then we will start to grow gray hairs and that's not healthy for us. I hope you will read this its very important to me because I want more time with my family love a 11 year old girl

• No shorter days

School is where you meet your friends and play with them at recesses and you learn how to do stuff but if school was shorter you wouldn't meet as many friends and get to know them and you learn less where you'll actually need more school than now and if you want a great paying job you'll have to learn French or know stuff not playing video games or playing soccer during school time that what recesses are for so that's why we shall have a long but not too long school day a 6 hr. School day with a total 1hr and a half of recesses 40 min. Each recess and 20 mins. To eat with some fun periods and more learning periods as well like an hour to forty minutes of French and the same for other subjects. As much as shorter time would be nice it would make things worst without at least 6 hours of school a day you would probably not even know how to learn the rules of a sport the controls to a game or even how to talk. We need around probably more time like 6 hours and 40 minutes.

• School to work

I can't all ways pick my kids up from work .I think shorten schools hours just doesnt make sense to me.My friends are telling me that shorten hours will not help kids learn . My son loves school and shorten hours will not be happy about the day .I love my and want the best for them

• No.

I think that shortening school hours would be rather difficult, since so many people rely on it as a "day-care" for their kids.
    Also, school is less about a place to learn about history, or math, or science, but mostly to help a child experience a number of different subjects and activities to help them grow. Unless some sort of independent study program was initiated, shorter school hours wouldn't work.