Should school security guards carry pepper spray as an alternative to guns?

• Dexter @ http://www.defenseexpress.com/ dexter@defenseexpress.com

I think they should carry both but use pepper spray initially in an attempt to disarm. But if the attempt to disarm without too much injury, guns are still necessary. After all, there are too much chaos these days and a lot of violence can't be stopped easily. So both are needed.

• Whoah, hold up a moment... Whaaaa

I'm from the UK, we dont have security guards at schools, and i knew some US schools have guards, but is this common to have guards, that sounds insane to me, maybe because the UK has never had a school shooting, just the odd stabbing every once in a while, so the idea of a guard sounds ridiculous, let alone an armed guard, that sounds insane. I'm surprised when i see guns in a UK airport, let alone a school

• Yes, pepper spray is a much safer alternative to carrying guns.

Headlines show that guns easily fall into the wrong hands all the time. There isn't a need for even one gun in every school. The practice of multiple guns being carried is an insane security risk. Guns should be reserved for police officers only. They are law enforcement professionals with the training to carry such a dangerous weapon.

Security guards at schools should carry a non-lethal weapon as a means to separate fights. Pepper spray is the perfect choice for such situations. It is easy to carry, easy to use, and capable of being used at a distance.

• Yes, pepper spray is a viable less-than-lethal weapon that can be used in schools

Less than lethal weapons should be used by school security guards to promote the utilization of the full spectrum of escalation and discourage violence in schools. Pepper spray, specifically, is an effective and relatively affordable tool with high efficacy and low allergy rates. Properly deployed, pepper spray can de-escalated most violent school situations.

• Schools no place for guns

If it is required that a school should have security guards then pepper spray is a good choice as an alternative to guns. Children should not be subjected to seeing guns around school on a regular basis and pepper spray is a debilitating and yet safe option to repel any attackers.

• Maybe not something as simple as pepper spray...

I think tasers would be a better replacement because they can be fired from a distance, immobilize the attacker, and are non-deadly. Meanwhile pepper spray could possibly make the situation worse. What if an attacker is sprayed, panicks, and starts shooting blindly in all directions? That would be awful, so I think tasers are the way to go.

• No, I don't believe that is effective.

In the event of a true emergency with an armed shooter I don't believe pepper spray will be much of a deterrent. I think it would also lead to the abuse of pepper spray against students. I would bet most security guards don't whip out their gun if students are fighting, but they might be more likely to use the pepper spray on a more consistent basis which would not be a good thing.