Should schools allow profanity as a practice of freedom of speech?

Asked by: Commondebator
  • I Believe That It Should Be

In classrooms and hallways teens swear constantly, not all, but most. Plus, in the constitution it simply states that we have a freedom of speech. Also, Christians say that it's 'Against Gods words', however, if they're a Christian that just goes off the bible, the bible actually states that profanity is okay to use. It expresses emotions. I do think that it should be done in a respectful way. Such as, if you're going to swear at a teacher..Don't lose it. Instead of screaming 'you're an ass' just say in a normal voice 'you're being an ass, please change that'. Sarcasm is automatically implied so it's not like you're being a sweetheart. Teens use profanity all the time, whether they get in trouble or not. You could make it easier for all of them to not get in trouble.

• It absolutely be allowed!

Prohibiting or limiting swearing definitely violates students' rights of free speech! All students, but especially teens, should be allowed to swear. There are 2 different levels of language that apply here: "Conversational swearing" and "confrontational swearing." Conversational swearing is the kind that occurs just in normal, everyday conversational, such as saying that a bite of food you just ate was too hot: "Damn that's hot!" Or expressing surprise: "Holy shit!" "Confrontational swearing" would include racist or sexual slurs against someone or language that is threatening or directly and blatantly disrespectful. In the classroom, this is ckearly demonstrated in the following: a kid gets a bad grade on a test and says "Damn! I really f*cked up on this test!" That is purely conversational, as opposed to the following: "Damn you, Mr. Smith, you as*hole! You f*cked up my grade!" That is clearly confrontational. The "conversational" example above should NEVER bring punishment at all; the "confrontational" comment could bring punishment (depending on the policues of the school). Conversational swearibg should be permitted at all times, and at all grade levels, and should never bring consequences to the student using it. This would alleviate a lot of problems in schools.

• It should be allowed

I agree teens are going to cuss whether you want them or not I don't see the point in punishing them for it. Its just going to happen either way so get used to it. If you cant stop them from cussing in the hallways why even try in the classrooms

• I don't think it should

Profanity is used all the time. Some people are worse than others but the majority of teens and adults use profanity. There is a relatively small group of people that don't swear (including myself) Swearing is know as a rude, lazy, and disrespectful way of speaking. Whether or not it should be is not the point. The point is it is profanity is thought of in those ways. The question asked was should profanity be allowed as a way of practicing freedom of speech? My answer is no because of the way profanity is viewed. You can simply make a point without swearing like I just did by writing this. The minute profanity is viewed as an acceptable way of speaking than sure go ahead and use it but seeing as how many people use it to hurt, discriminate, abuse others I don't think that is should be allowed any time soon.

• No They should not allow

Practice of freedom of speech is good, but not in this way. It is incorrect to allow students to use inappropriate language, and talking thrash. It would lower school's respect by students and even parents. People who want to cuss can do it outside the school, but not IN school.

Posted by: java
  • Profanity is not protected in the Real World.

Numerous Justices have determined that the First Amendment does nto protect obscene or vulgar modes of expression.

Because profanity is not necessary to express ideas, it is not a violation of freedom of speech to censor it.

Not only that, but profanity is usually an emotional reaction associated wit the limbic system, rather than normal cognitive processes. This is why we shout profanities when, say, stubbing a toe.

Because public profanity is not protecting in the real world, we should not delude our students into thinking that it is acceptable public behavior. To do so would be a disservice to them.