• Cruel.

Schools should ban the dissection of animals. There are many other ways that students can be taught about the anatomy of an animal that does not involve taking innocent lives. It's cruel and not needed. Most of the kids don't really pay attention anyway. It's also not very pleasant for them.

• Ban Animal Dissections

Animal dissection labs are an unethical and unnecessary part of the secondary school biology curriculum.
    The millions of animals that are dissected each year in education systems are subjects of severe animal abuse (PETA paragraph 1). Many of these animals are sold to schools from fur companies, pet stores and, many times, slaughterhouses (PETA paragraph 2). Animals are often stockpiled on top of one another and shipped in crowded containers with no temperature regulation, food, or water (NEAVS paragraph 4). Animals are treated unjustly, and by buying these dissection sets, it is funding and promoting the abuse of animals.
    Millions of frogs are harvested every year from the wild for dissection purposes. This means that, along with all of the other ways humans are impacting frog populations, such as global climate change and pollution, humans are also destroying their populations (NEAVS paragraph 7). In the school curriculum, children are taught about the biodiversity crisis and all of its negative aspects, but at the same time, students are encouraged to contribute to it.
    Many animals taken for school dissections, especially fetal pigs, are by-products of the meat industry. Almost all of the pigs slaughtered for human consumption are raised in crowded, confined conditions. Not only are their lives substantially shortened, but they are also deprived of space, fresh air, and fresh forage. The fetuses used for dissections are taken from pregnant sows at the slaughterhouse (Humane Society paragraph 4). By continuing with animal dissections, school boards are promoting the mistreatment of the animals raised for the meat industry.
    It is not necessary for students to dissect animals in order to see what the insides of the animals look like. If a student were to pursue a career in a field where this is needed, they would have the opportunity to dissect human cadavers in University. However, very few students who participate in these labs in high school will actually go down these career paths. The only thing that an animal dissection lab teaches students is that an animal’s life is disposable and unimportant.
    Buying animals for all biology classes can be quite costly. The cost for a high school dissection set can be over $1000.00. However, this is only a one-time purchase. Three years worth of frogs can cost about $1500.00, and for fetal pigs almost $3000.00. However, nowadays there are so many educational, interactive dissection programs that can be used instead, such as Digital Frog 2.5, V-FrogTM, DissectionWorks CatWorks, and many more (Animalearn). With the technologies and programs available in schools to aid with virtual dissections, the money spent on buying dissection sets can clearly be put to better use.

Works Cited
    "Animals in Education." New England Anti-Vivisection Society. N.P., n.D. Web. .

"A Cost Comparison Between Animal Dissection and Humane Educational Alternatives." Animalearn: Animals, Ethics, and Education. The Science Bank, n.D. Web. .

"Dissection: Lessons in Cruelty." PETA. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, n.D. Web. .

Kerry, Krigger. "Frog Dissections." Save the Frogs. N.P., n.D. Web.

• Children are tomorrow's future, they cannot practice Violence

Dissections teach children to abuse animals. The knowledge that dissections can bring is valuable in many job positions, but it also teaches how to hurt and kill innocent animals. Thirteen percent of all students who have dissected have been caught be police in their areas abusing live animals with the same techniques taught in school. This lesson is cruel and gross to many kids, and the amount of online dissections lessons are growing every year. I think that even learning this gruesome tacks online can teach a child to enforce pain onto an animal.

• Cruel ad Evil

Killing and then dissecting the animals is just plain evil. Imagine you were a frog or toad or fish. Would you like being killed just so students can dissect and study you? I wouldn't so you probably wouldn't either. However, dissecting owl pellets are okay because the dead animal inside the pellet was not killed by us humans.

• Just because they should

I don't really have a point of reason because I'm not smart but I'll just have to say is that it is gross and for example, one time I threw up all over my teachers shoes when we were dissecting cats and it can cause stress on the students because if they do throw up or something embaressing, the class will spread the word and the whole school will eventually know. That can lead to stress because the child will be made fun of.

• It is gross and it can make people faint.

People can get the blood of the animal on then and get infected. The tools are also dangerous because the people using them can hurt there self extremely. Little kids should not be able to do animal dissections. This is why schools should ban animal dissections so that kids do not get hurt.

• Cruel. Ban Animal Dissection

You're taking a harmless animal's life away. That is just sad what if that happened to you? Taking your life away so someone can dissect it. What has this world come to? Some even get put into mini gas chambers. I am for sure going against animal dissection. This is just very sad.

• It Teaches Kids

Without animals being used in schools, students would not be able to correctly learn anatomy and physiology. Also, do you want students studying to become a doctor spend their entire schooling without seeing first hand what they read about in the text books? Animals are used to help better society.

• It's an Experience

As long as it is not in a REALLY cruel way, it doesn't really matter. And as a student my self, I had fun dissecting animals, and its like they're going extinct or anything, so I don't support banning it. It also really helps the students understand more, not just by diagrams/pictures/words.

• It is not cruelty!

The dissection of animals clearly has a scientific and educational purpose. Yes, students are able to get the same amount of education as with worksheets and whatnot, but to get a hands-on education is what teaches children more. Additionally, worksheets aren't able to provide the natural look and feel of such things. If ANYTHING, a life like model of a dissected animal should be used in replacement, such as if a school isn't able to afford the specimens provided for dissections, these models could be re-used.

• Yes they should

They need to. This is cruel. It is gross. Don't kill wildlife. This is mean. What if i killed you for funzies and then cut you open, ripped you part, and threw away. You wouldn't like it. So don't do it to a innocent froggy, or squid, or worm, or anything for that matter.

• Schools banning dissection

I think that schools should not ban dissection. It would not only be cruel to the animals (like all dissections are but the animal is already dead, so what harm can it do? ) it would be cruel to the students that have been waiting to do this for a large part of their life. Think about growing up. Watching the movies and tv shows where they did dissection, like E.T.. Also, it is much easier for people to learn hands on, not in papers and pictures.

• Sheets and PowerPoint's... Boring!

Students, despite their age, will always learn best by having a "hands on" approach. Learning anatomy using a real specimen is not only more fun but also more educational. Organs and other matter can be fully examined and described by the teacher.
    Furthermore many animals are not "killed" especially for dissection. With pigs, for example, butchers will sell parts of the pig that are unused and unwanted to schools for education purposes.

• Dont band dissection.

I think that yes it can be cruel but if the animal dies from natural causes it would be better to dissect it then to just throw the animal away. And plus students like me and many others learn better by actually seeing it in real life not just on a picture. It may be disscusting but come on its life.

• You can visualize it.

Some students- I know I am, are visual learners, and it helps students to learn better if they can see what it is that they are learning about. When teachers just give out worksheets with confusing diagrams that did not photocopy properly, does not really give the same effect as seeing what you are learning about, and being able to visualize the insides of the animal.

• Learning Purpose from Disection

I'm a student myself and have had the opportunities to study animals and both by book and by dissection. Their just isn't any way for a person to learn everything about an animal from a book. A book doesn't show how complex and organised the animal is. A dissection also help teach students how to perform lab work.

• Schools shouldn't ban dissections.

I feel frog dissections are ok, as long as we are learning something. We always see pictures of organs in textbooks or in videos, and we might see more pictures in virtual frog dissection. Real frog dissections show real organs, and the small intestine looks nothing like it does in pictures.

• Interesting students in medical careers

When I was younger I always wanted to be an architect but now that I have experienced hands on what a surgeon dose I want to pursue a medical career. Dissecting a fetal pig was a great experience that I got to have outside of school. There should be more experiences like this inside of school. I can't wait to go to high school where hopefully I'll get to do more hands on stuff.