Should schools ban students from creating petitions against something school-related (such as the changing a band room to an art room)

Asked by: BrookeALash123
  • The First Amendment.

Well because I am supposed to fill a 50 word gap, I will copy and paste the first Amendment so that anyone might read it and how that one may PETITION the government (and last I checked, public education qualifies as government):

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Kids need a voice

A petition is one way for kids to express their thoughts and opinions. Schools should allow student to make petitions as they would raise important issues. Petitions are a way for students to tell school officials what they think needs to change, and it shows that there are multiple students supporting it, rather than of just one kid filed a complaint. I don't see a reason for petitions to stop. I think they are valuable feedback to school authorities.