Should schools be banned from disciplining student behavior on social networking sites?

• Yes they should.

I do think that schools should be banned from disciplining student behavior on social networking sites. It is none of the schools business what a student does in their own time. If they are using a social network at school, then maybe they should get punished doing it during school time. But not for what they have done on the network.

• Only If Incidents Happen at School

The only way schools should discipline student behavior on social networking is if the incident or social network post happens at school. Say, for instance, someone takes a picture or video of two people fighting at school. That person posts it to Facebook and then that student gets beat up at school in retaliation for posting the video. That is one instance when schools should discipline students for inappropriate use of social media.

• Schools should be banned from disciplining student behavior on social networking sites.

Schools should be banned from disciplining student behavior on social networking sites. Schools have no right to regulate what a student places on a social media site. As far as I know, the freedom of speech has not gone around and if you do not like what someone posts on their social networking site, do not look at it.

• It has no relevance!

What students do outside of school should not be addressed by or taken care of by the school. It should be handled directly by who is responsible for a student's actions! Let kids take matters in their own hands. They should be completely responsible for what they decided to do outside of school. Especially if it's not even related to school matters. A school's responsibility is to teach and bring education. Not to discipline on wrong doings which they have no insight on. I rest my case.

• Why does it matter?

Okay, so what if there are kids in school acting like fools online? I say let kids be kids. Let them fight it out on there own. Kids don't need to be punished for something they did outside of school, especially if it has nothing whatsoever to do with said school. The only reason someone should be punished for saying or doing something online, is if it is brought into the school. If it's not, just let it be.

• I don’t think that schools should be banned from disciplining student behavior on social networking sites.

I don’t think that schools should be banned from
    disciplining student behavior on social networking sites. What students do online has a direct effect
    upon what happens in school. Cyber
    bullying is a serious problem that must be dealt with. If we don’t punish students for their bad behavior
    online, we will have to deal with the more serious consequences in real life.

• No, I feel schools should be involved in battling cyber bullying.

If students are posting on social networking websites during school hours, I personally feel that schools should be involved, and adults (teachers, principals, etc.) should try to make sure that the students are conducting themselves properly. When social networking is happening during school hours, it's the school's responsibility to make sure students are acting appropriately and not bullying each other.

• Sometimes the discipline meted out by the school is the only discipline a student will receive

Behavior on social networking sites which is detrimental to the students in the school environment should be policed as needed. Often the students do not see the consequences of their poor behavior on social networking sites as being wrong because it never leads to any bad results for the student. Having some sort of accountability might possibly make students think about what they do online and force them to be better people at least for a while. Having the school involved first might keep law enforcement having to be involved later by teaching students some things are not going to be tolerated.