• School is awesome

Essentially, this is the only way to ensure that parents of children are actually paying for their children's education. If the government had decided to use sales tax, for the given purpose, the cost on all goods would rise creating unwanted economic effects. However, by remaining with property tax it ensures that you are paying for the school in your area.

• Schools should be funded by property taxes

The idea of every school getting equal funding is a nice idea, but in today’s society is simply unrealistic. With an economy that has taken a really big hit over the past several years, where do people think that the government is going to get the money to make up for what property taxes are paying for, the state simply does not have the means to make up for these lost funds. Furthermore, if schools become fully state funded it will be undercutting local control of education in favor of centralizing policymaking by the state

• Yes, property tax should be one of several sources of school funding.

I don't mean only use property tax to fund our schools. When it comes to schooling, I think we should take from every available funding pool to improve them. Children are our greatest asset, and their education is of the utmost importance. So, yes, take from property taxes to make this a reality.

• Schools should be funded by property tax.

• No its useless

I have no children but i am supposed to be funding a school that i have nothing to do with. This is wasting my hard earned money on a school i did not attend. I would understand if i had children but i do not i am 1 years old.

• No more public schools

Let's privatize all schools in our nation and require parents to send their kids to school. We see in the test results that poor students aren't learning so should it matter if they do not go to school because they can't afford it. Life isn't fair get used to it.

• Everyone benefits from a well educated citizenry.

A well educated population benefits all of us in the same way that other forms of infrastructure do. I get frustrated when dealing with poorly educated people who just didn't happen to grow up in a rich neighborhood. I don't see education as merely a tool for social and financial advancement, I believe it has its own intrinsic value. We treat it as an asset that parents purchase for their children like nice clothes but I think it is more appropriate to compare it to good health. For example, we probably agree that plumbers need to be healthy but not well educated. That makes no sense to me.

• Pay for something you don't use

I have no children yet pay property tax to fund the school. I reap no benefits from my tax dollars but my neighbors that rent and send six kids to school certainly do. My parents haven't had children in the school for 45 years but still pay for the school via property taxes. Our school district raises taxes every year and needs to learn to make do with the money they have. I don't get a raise every year like the school district does, and if I do it isn't nearly the amount the taxes are increased by. People on fixed income can't afford to keep their homes because the school is taxing them to death.

• That is the financial responsibility of the parents or their guardians and not property owners.

Property rights is the American Dream and should not be held for ransom. Forcing property owners to pay a fee that they did not condone and taking their property from them for non compliance is not true freedom. Property taxation is condoned Tyranny supported by the ignorance of non property owners and those at the receiving end of your forced property tax dollars.

• Not funded by property taxes

No, I think that it is time for a change for how schools are funded and it seems that with the real estate crisis that property taxes should no longer the the way to go. Too many homes are now being abandoned and prices on homes going down, which affects schools and taxes.

• No, schools should not be funded by property taxes.

Schools should not be funded by property taxes. They should be funded the old fashioned way. When we wanted to raise enough money to go on a field trip, or school activity, we have candy fundraisers, or we sold candles. Car washes work, also. Have the children go out on a Saturday. It builds their esteem and earns great money for their school.

• Property Taxes Are Important, But No

The issue with using property taxes as a means of funding schools is flawed. The reasoning is simple. Such a funding method creates educational inequality. Schools in impoverished areas will not be funded the same as schools located in affluent neighborhoods. As a result, poorer students do not get the same quality of education.

Posted by: rpr