Should schools be responsible for instilling values in children?

• Efficient way of improving quality of life world-wide

It occurred to me while reading the No votes that values are not as relative as one would think. Research into behavioral economics and body languages shows that most moral issues are universal. Our faces react in disgust or pleasure to typically the same things. An American is as likely to fall for a "buy one get one (free)" deal as an Indian, Afghan, or isolated Amazon native american. Likewise, stealing is universally wrong. Being a gracious host is universally right. Although the specific details of how that's done may vary at local levels (in the Spanish Caribbean one may serve guests coffee, in the slavic countries one may serve tea), the sentiments are the same.

So the reason I propose this education happen at the school level is because schools have a wide audience and can disburse this values knowledge to those that need it most. It should be for the same reason why vision, hearing, and scoliosis tests are administered at schools. And just how catching those health problems early can benefit the patient and his community, making sure all young members of society are promptly taught how to fit into the world will save them and society many headaches.

• Yes to an extent.

Schools should be responsible for the values of children to an extent. Most of the job belongs to the parent and how they want to raise their kid, however teachers should not be standing by and letting children hit each other or make fun of one another. So yes they should instill some values into children, but some also belongs to the parent.

• Yes.

If the school stands for the right things than I can't think of any reason that they shouldn't. School is no more a place exclusively for reading, writing, and arithmetic. School is the place children make friends, learn responsibility, and learn how to deal with jerks. Children are effected greatly by what happens at their schools. If the school is a good place to learn honesty, integrity and other essential things, then it is the best place away from home for this to happen.

• If the school is a good place for children to learn the right values then yes

If the school stands for the right things, then yes, it is their DUTY to do so. I'm sure that 99% of the time the school will have good, constructive values that children will be able to learn from. The focus of a school is not just academic, it is a place for children to make friends, learn responsibility and learn how to deal with jerks. I can't think of a reason not to let the school be this.

• Kind of.

Parents ultimately should be the ones to teach their children the good values. Though it would not hurt for teachers to teach children things like manners and how to make good decisions. Some children simply do not get these lessons at home. Especially in bad living conditions or in the case of fosterkids/orphans. BUT. the schools should not teach values based on religious values but as human values.

• Yes Somewhat

I firmly believe that teachers are a big influence on children. I also strongly think that teachers should help young children in guiding one to make a good decision over a bad. In the end though this is more a responsibility of a parent. Parents should teach there children the correct values to have in life. It is a parents responsibility when deciding to have a child that there child live up to good morals, and values in life. If they decided when they get older to not listen this is their own choosing, but as a child yes parents, and teachers should, but the burden of the teaching should come from the parent.

• No dont do it

Scool is four te weenies. I not a weenies. So go on and get dat dem values out of dem der scools. Der shud nt be a moerls classin shools. I is two kool 2 be in scool wit weenies. I nede mor piza in scool. Al te yes is rong.

• No dont do it

• No dont do it

• Schools should only focus on a child's education.

Schools are government run facilities whose jobs are to educate children. Many students have cultural differences that could be interpreted in many ways. You do not want a teacher teaching a student things that may be disrespectful in the child's home environment. Many cultures consider direct eye contact disrespect but a teacher may not know this and get angry with they student for not paying attention thinking that the lack of eye contact is from lack of attention rather then respect. If a teacher is involved in teaching the child the student may miss out on a lot of their culture.

• It would confuse the child.

What the school teaches as morally right may not coincide with what the parents teach as morally right, which will in turn confuse the child. Also, in today's society what's considered morally right, is often debated, and who gets to decide what morals should be taught in school? The city? The Parents? The School Board? Society?

• No, no, no

If schools were to do this then a teacher could end up installing opinions and what they think is morally right. In the end it is the child's choice of what his values and morals are. A school does not need to teach this, instead a family should provide an enriching environment for the child to decide their own values.

• Teaching values is the parents responsibility

I do not think any school system should be teaching children values. The childrens families should be showing their children what values are by how they behave in public. Children are going to act like their parents when they are in public alone because that's who they are with and who they look up to. The schools only responsibility should be reading, writing, math and science!

• Parents need to do this not schools

Schools need to teach math, reading, writing, history and so on it's up to the parents at home to teach values.

Let's say schools start trying to teach values we are going to have many parents up in arms over what " values " are being taught to their kid if it they do not fit into their belief system of what is right and what is wrong.