Should schools block social networking sites: Should schools block student's access to social networking sites?

• Of Course It Should

The social networks like instagram/twitter/snapchat/ext. Can be very distracting at it can hurt the kids brain by looking at a bright screen all day. Also the social media can be a reason that some kids fail, because they are just rushing to do their work because they want to check up on their social media. It is also not fair to the kids who don't have social media or a phone.

• Yes it should block them

The reason why is because when dose a child have time in class to get on the computers and type in snapchat or instagram ? They have no time right even in class because the student should be listening to the teacher. Also i am a student my self in the 8 grade

• Yes it should block them

• Communicate with others

Some people might say that social networking is a distraction but nowadays kids don't watch the news so that is basically the only way they know about things not only that but school is very time consuming with homework and all not allowing them to social network at home, which means that they don't see their far away relatives very often.

• The latest gossip is not a class topic

I don't understand why a student "needs" (quoting several prior opinions) access to social media during classroom time. Teachers are battling enough other distractions their students face, they don't need another. Internet use (as controlled by the teacher) is definitely a valuable educational tool and should be encouraged.

I am not opposed to students controlling their own mobile devices, but free wifi should be shut off during classroom time. It can be turned back on during lunch, before and after school, etc. That way, students who think they need to be texting, sending videos, watching programs, etc can all do so on their own (parent provided and paid for) data plans. This forces the conversations about appropriate Internet use to the parties that should be having it (the parents and their children) while maintaining communication access at reasonable times.

As a parent who bans social media on the devices I own and are used by my children, I don't need the school district enabling social media on the school-issued devices. It inhibits my rights as a parent to raise my children as I see fit. Cyber bullying is very real and it is happening every day - I choose to limit the bullying exposure to those instances that occur in the hallway, not to those of some coward hiding behind the anonymity of a screenname, or the distance of the Internet. Sexual predators are getting younger and younger (by definition of law, boys asking female recipients to send nudes is illegal). Sexual harassment is becoming the new way to introduce oneself. Posting inappropriate images is becoming the new way to define oneself.

Part of the education students should be getting is when are the appropriate times and places for using social media. When they enter the work place, they better set the phone down, or they will be fired. If we don't establish this fact and behavior early in life, we are doing a disservice to our children and our future workforce. Another part of a student's education is how to communicate to real live humans, in face-to-face conversation, pauses, interruptions and all; soft skills that cannot be taught in any classroom.

In the end, who is in charge of the classroom? The student (the tail) or the teacher/school system (the dog)? Let's give our educators a fighting chance to do their jobs, and supporting them by instructing our children to put the phone away. And let's give our children a fighting chance to obtain meaningful employment by steering them away from leaving an electronic history of poor decisions by which future employers can judge them.

• Definitely should be banned

Social networking and media sites should be banned.They should be banned at schools because it can be distracting and can relatively cause cyber bullying. School is about learning, not taking selfies and posting them on Instagram. If people really want social media sites and networking they should do it at home because school is an educating environment and if we want a future, we need to focus and get it right.

• Definitely should be banned

• Yes yes yes yes yes

What do u think its freedom of speech, I'm a kid and all social media at school is blocked so I came to this website to get ideas on why we should because I want to persuade my school staff to agree on unblocking. Well in the end they did and they wouldn't have if I didn't use ur ideas on this website which is also technically social media.

• Social Media should be blocked

In schools social media is very distracting for kids. They mainly focus and share about it distracting others. They sometimes use it to distract others. Youtube makes kids distracted and then they cant take things seriously. So that is why i think social media is bad for schools and kids.

• Parents can't protect their kids if schools allow it

Social media sites are so dangerous! Children are being found by pedophiles and setting are common and these things are being normalized so kids developing brains are being marred by their peers on social media in ways that are extremely damaging. Even parents who don't allow cell phones, have no control because schools do and they don't even block Facebook, snap chat, kick etc. all of which pornography can be accessed.

• Absolutely not at all!

Devices with Cellular Data are becoming more and more popular around the world! Even with the sites blocked, students can still access them using their data. To keep classism and debt down, keep the sites unblocked. When it comes to data usage, parents want their kids to do something they’re not going to do. Parents want their kids off cellular data. The kids are gonna go on Cellular Data.

• Why can't we?

The reason I say no to this is because student's rights have diminished 10-fold recently. There's no reason that students can't use things like snapchat, because it's a changing world, and even though adults don't understand it, it's a new part of life. There's also a problem with it that goes beyond morals. Legally, the schools should have to run it through the parents who are the tax payers.

• No, school SHOULD NOT block social media

School should not block social media because it something personal, like if students have access to their iPhone or iPad, or depending on device thy are using, school should not block or look at private stuff. Because, I feel like it should be private and school should only block non-social media websites beside blocking social media since kids don’t need protection and especially if parent need to talk to their kid if something serious.

• It Should defiantly not be Banned.

There is no point in banning social media in schools. Students deserve to do what they want in their free time. School faculty cannot come to your house and sleep in your bed with you to see if you are on social media. Also, students will just make fake accounts on social media. It is the parents job to make sure their children aren't doing anything bad on social media.

• Of Course It Should

• No, I don't think that it should be banned.

Phones in my school are prohibited for the whole day, which incredibly sucks. A lot of my classmates break this rule, and use phones anyway. The older students in our school are allowed their phones in break, which is unfair. After school, though, we're able to use social media, but who wants to stay after school just for social media? Some schools, like my school, take this useful tool away from us! Social media is important for the newer generations. I get it - Cyber bullying and sexual predators are a thing. But trying to reduce problems in that way, isn't going to stop them.

I think that apps like whatsapp, messenger and whatsapp are useful to text people, and youtube, for example, could be used for educational purposes! Apps like Facebook and Instagram are pretty useless when it comes to that, though. But you’re forgetting one thing; Banning social media on the school INTERNET is stupid. We could just get off the internet and access social media with ease!

Parents would want to know if their child(ren) is/are okay, and if you ban texting sites, you ban communication.

Even IF we couldn’t use social media at school while using data, schools will have to embrace new technology because it’s useful in so many ways, and it’s completely free!

• It sucks like poop

My son is using all his data and i have to pay for it and i am really really really really really upset i have spent 223,456,869,769765 dollers a day ever single day and snapchatting pepole and instagram and facebook and i am fed up with all of this crap

• Whats the point

No, I believe that kids are just going to use their data to get on social media in school. Also, a lot of teachers tell some kids to snapchat people when they need a student.So just save us the hassle and unblock social media.Why have angry and annoyed students when you can have happy students that can snapchat freely

• Whats the point

• Social networking as an integrated part of teaching

The social network sites should be segregated for access. Many social network sites have knowledge which are not provided at school, which tend to be more academics sided.

Social network has it's own disadvantages, like anything in life. Too much love does harm to people also.

Each school should have a discussion panel , along with students, academics, administration, IT, parents, authorities to come up with the proper way to tackle the matter of access.

For sure, it should not be ban on gut feelings of some people who believe they are the geek of knowing everything