Should schools check students backpacks or lockers?

• yes, but only lockers

The school should be able to search the lockers because it belongs to that school not the students. However, under the fourth amendment it states that a search must have probable cause but not a search warrant, and you can not just base it on a rumor. If you do it based on a rumor then you first need to ask the persons friends if that persons does or doesn't have anything.

• Sure

Really, it depends on the circumstances, and schools can be very lax in identifying what constitutes probable cause. You shouldn't start digging in a student's backpack because "he might have a bomb, you never know", but if you have a really good reason to believe that someone is going to do something that is bad, then a school would be justified in checking backpacks. About lockers: Schools seem to justify the lockers being their property when it suits them to randomly search them, but they somehow refuse to take any responsibility for when people jimmy them and steal the contents.

• Yes but no in certain places

Unless that place (e.g. Singapore) is relatively safe, checks do not need to be so regularly carried out. If it is USA, then yes absolutely. Had they had a gun ban, they would not need to be so stringent when it comes to security.

• Yes

When students are on school property, the school teachers and staff are responsible for the safety of the students. This is a number one priority and the school rules are made keep students safe. Students' social lives are not a top priority. In terms of privacy, if the students have nothing to hide, then what is the problem. If they are hiding something that is embarrassing, then the school staff should know about it, once again, for safety reasons.

• It should be allowed, if required and justified.

If security reasons require it, with due notice it should be allowed.

• The lockers do not belong to the students.

It is very simple. The locker does not belong to the student, and those checks are only there to ensure the safety of all the students within in school.

• If teachers or administrators feel it's necessary for the safety of the students it should be allowed.

If someone at school is rumored to have guns or any kind of weapons, schools should be able to check the lockers of those suspected students. I think it's necessary for the safety of the school.

• Yes, Its not their locker

Schools should be able to search students lockers, because it's the schools locker that they pay for to be put in. Students only use it for that year. Unless the student buys the locker the school has every right to search the locker especially if they have a probable cause.

• Lockers

Schools should be allowed to check belongings. If something was in a backpack that is "discriminating" it should not be on the campus

• What an odd question...

• Schools shouldn't check student belongings

If people go to school is because they want to learn and be better. People in schools are not criminals that need to be check all the time. Schools need to explain the rules and make sure that all students follow them.

• No more locker checking. Lockers should be private.

They are not our parents so they do not get to check our stuff. Our stuff is exactly that--our stuff, not theirs. We need to be trusted. Teachers should leave the backpack and locker checking to our parents. They are not our parents and they do not have the right to touch our stuff but our parents do!!!!

• no

because as a student or a girl for example may have personal belongings in their back pack or locker that may cause discrimation or embarrassment from others

• no

no because it is an invasion of privacy and the kid may feel harrassed and embarresd it is only ok if the the teachers think the kid is carrying a weapon or drugs. would teachers like it if student went through their belogings? no, so why would they do it to us if they know its wrong

• It's not OK

I strongly believe that students should not have their private property searched. Just because a backpack is brought to school, doesn't make it school property. Another reason is that the Fourth Amendment protects us from unreasonable searches and seizures. Officials that do this are sick people and they have no right to look in students things.

• No they should not

A student should be able to feel comfortable at school...I am a junior this year and there was an incident where the teacher wanted to look through my phone. I told her no so they got my parents involved. Although there was nothing to hide i made it difficult for them because it is not their place to look through my personal items. When they got my parents involved i finally gave them my phone and what did they find? Nothing, nothing at all! Although we are on school property i do not care it is MY personal item i do not want THEM to touch it. And the reason why she wanted to check my phone was extremely stupid. She wanted to see what i was saying to my MOTHER i asked her if i could text my mother back because i needed something for my headache when i showed her at first she seemed satisfied but then she wanted to check the rest of my phone! For all of you teachers who are like this out there get a damn life....Were teenagers we will make mistakes and YES most of us do text in class.

• Personal objects and homework!

And if they drop your stuff it will brake and if all your stuff fall out and they leave it and the janitor comes by and sweeps it up you lose it and could get a bad grade!!! You would get in to trouble for losing something you didnt loseing something you didnt even do it.

• We can't go through their stuff, so why should they go through ours?

First of all, not only is this COMPLETELY unconstitutional (except private schools and cases where search warrants/probable causes are involved), but it also doesn't make sense! The fourth amendment prevents illegal search and seizure without a warrant or probable cause. However, if there was suspicion that guns were involved and POLICE were involved in the investigation, as long as they have a search warrant or probable cause, BE MY GUEST! If not, then as long as you stay out of my stuff, I'll stay out of yours!

• No They Shouldn't

They shouldn't be able to search student's belongings because it's their stuff and what if they don't want anyone else to know what they have. Maybe it's embarrassing, or maybe they just don't want others to see what they have. However, if the student is under suspicion of drugs or firearms, yes the police should be able to search their belongings.

• Teachers shouldn't check students lockers

I say this because teachers hjave no rights to ram into students lockers and check what they have. They don't have no right to go into our lockers. We might have some things in there that is very private to us, and to have someone pock through our stuff. That is just wrong!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous says2013-04-11T14:50:44.950
Hi I am precious for your info searching lockers is a good thing because it can eliminate drugs or harmful weapons
Anonymous says2013-05-08T15:14:37.497
NOPE i like drugs