Should schools have general education, by which students must take certain same subjects regardless to what they are majoring on like English, Math, History, etc.

Asked by: face1995
  • Contrary to Astal3

General education not only opens up options for students to take interests in, it' salsa a way to keep the mind active. I DO believe that "kids should be deep throated with trig and so on..." because even if this person will not become a mathematician or scientist, the skills developed in math classes keep the mind sharp. It's best to know a whole range of things before going into college and declaring a major.

• General Education has its Benefits

Students should be exposed to more than one subject. Different subjects offer new challenges and serve to make us more well-rounded as students. As a student myself, I know that I would not naturally sign up for certain classes unless they were required. However, I've learned a great deal from those classes, and I don't regret them. Exercising different parts of one's brain and challenging them in distinct materials is a benefit.

• All students should be required to complete some courses

School is about ensuring each student has the basic skills to succeed in life. There are certain core skills which are essential such as English and Mathematics. Students should be required to complete certain courses while when they get older some other courses can be electives to allow them to specialise I. Their areas of interest and talent.

• Yes and No

I do believe that kids should undergo general education, to an extent. But I do not believe kids should be deep throated with trig and so on if they do not plan on going into a field that requires it. And anymore classes are so dumbed down that noone learns anything anyways. The amount of tests that we have to take anymore ate unreal. It's not learning, its social engineering.Class sizes are only increasing and if kids are not genuinely interested in what they are learning then its just a taxpayer waste.I believe general ed should be required to sophmore year. After that kids can take aptitude tests and surveys and for the rest of their highschool career they take classes that match their interests and abilities, in turn making more productive students