• Helps Prepare us for the Future

I´m a fresh man, and as much as i hate my mandatory classes, they are helping prepare me for life later on. I mean, some times in life you have to do stuff you do not want to do. Its the way that life is. Besides you will need to know the how much it would be for Susie to bye 160 watermelons (why?) because one day your children will be asking you... Maybe, I´m still a fresh man so....

• Butts butts butts

Butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts

• Some life skills are essential

Subjects like English and Maths should be compulsory for everyone. It is not good for kids to specialise too soon. Kids should have to do all the subjects at least until the end of 8th grade, then they should still be expected to do most subjects and just have a few electives until the end of 10th grades. Some classes should then remain mandatory while most become electives until 12th grade.

• Mandatory classes help the growing experience.

Not all students know what they want to do in the future. And those who think they know might pidgeon-hole themselves into a specific field prematurely, robbing themselves of the chance to discover other things that may have otherwise peaked their interest.

Beyond the more liberal belief that people excel when they pursue their interests and passions, there is the more conservative belief that educational institutions must prepare students to survive within the established environment that they will be graduating into.

At the end of the day, I'm not aware of schools stopping students from pursuing their interests and passions outside of class time. I'm also not aware of schools teaching completely useless topics - even boring classes teach you what you're not interested in.

I'm not saying that the schools always decide on the best educational experience for all their students - I'm saying that the students generally don't know any better than the teachers do.

Posted by: Shlo
  • I need this to say he is wrong

I personally believe the reason we have school is to prepare you for the future. As a young person we do not see what the future holds for us while older people see what kind of things are needed for the future ahead. Those people can best prepare us for the future and give us the tools needed to succeed

• It stops your from pursuing other opurtunitites

I have just chosen my GCSEs at my school but we only got to pick 3 options and we had to take more than 10 "core subjects". Most of these subjects such as triple science are things that I don't enjoy and won't need in my future as I plan on going into law or journalism. If there weren't mandatory subjects then people would have more chances to take classes that are really going to help them in the future.

• Mandatory Classes stop students who know want do from learning faster than a snail pace

I am myself in school and the mandatory classes that slow me down and make me hate my school are art and music. They are of no use because I do not want anything to do with these classes yet they take up a quarter of my time in school I have no artistic talent and barley know any notes on the clarinet yet they still make me have to go and bring down my mark for not wanting to do them so they should just allow students in Canada above grade 5 chose their own classes to kickstart whatever they want to do in life.

• I need this for a school paper

I personally believe that schools should not have mandatory classes. I believe that students should be able to choose their own classes based on their interests and what they want to do in the future. This would allow them to essentially get a jump start on their career path. I need both sides opinions so please help

• What we REALLY need

What students really need are things that will actually need in the future. Not this math and science nonsense, but life skills. Cooking, cleaning, taxes, shopping, and so on. Making classes like Algebra 2 and Biology mandatory is ridiculous, as only a small portion of students who want to be biologists or mathmatitions would need those classes. Elementary school should be the only school in which classes are mandatory, in my opinion. They will teach basic maths, writing, science, history, ect, as per usual, but also teach necessary skills like doing taxes, cooking, shopping, and whatever else is needed. Middle school onwards, you should be allowed to chose for yourself the classes you want/need to take to prepare for the future, as this will allow students to fortify their interests and build their skills so that they can truly be whatever they want.

• Waste of Time

Having mandatory classes in high school wastes the time of the students. Much of the information taught in required classes will not be used or will be forgotten soon after high school. Required classes also use valuable class time when students could be learning about something they are interested in.

• It slows students down, and most of the information isn't even necessary for real life.

I am a junior in high school. And let me tell you, mandatory classes are bullshit. I don't even understand the point; especially when classes like algebra are required to graduate? Tell me, when am I going to need to know about imaginary numbers or the quadratic equation in real life? I plan on going into a career that revolves around art. Why can't we be like Europe? They can personalize their own courses to fit what career they want to go into.

• Some aren't going to college

We need these mandatory classes because they are preparing us for college, but some people are not planning to go to college or on the path for it. Once we get to high school we should be able to choose what classes we want to take depending on what we would want to do in the future. I'm not planning to go to college because my career i choose doesn't need a college degree or BC.

• They are unnecessary

If a student doesn't want to take math they shouldn't have to, if they want to then they can go ahead. If they don't want a career in science, why take science? In high school students should be able to make their own choices. They should enjoy what they are learning, not dozing off whenever they have a uninteresting class.

• Most Classes Aren't Necessary

I recently watched "Don't Stay in School" and realized how may things we learn in school aren't going to apply to what I want to learn/need to learn. Yes I've learned how to multiply, write a paper, figure out parts of cells, but it's not what I NEED to learn. Lots of schools have Sex ED/Health class but there are still people who don't know about things like actually raising a child. I don't see us having classes on 'How to Avoid Giving All of Your Money to the Homeless Guy on Main St." Yes, I know a weird topic but still, aren't these kind of important? Lots of people are easily affected by peer pressure, and whether that's drinking or giving your gas money to a homeless guy it doesn't matter. It's still important.

• Classes slow people down

Many people know what they want to do when they are young. I would like to pursue a career in law. If needing to know what x= in 5x+12=-9 is than by all means I will learn that but it isn't necessary. I should get to take beginners law or a debate club of some sort.