• Butts butts butts

Butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts

• Butts butts butts

Butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts

• Some life skills are essential

Subjects like English and Maths should be compulsory for everyone. It is not good for kids to specialise too soon. Kids should have to do all the subjects at least until the end of 8th grade, then they should still be expected to do most subjects and just have a few electives until the end of 10th grades. Some classes should then remain mandatory while most become electives until 12th grade.

• Mandatory classes help the growing experience.

Not all students know what they want to do in the future. And those who think they know might pidgeon-hole themselves into a specific field prematurely, robbing themselves of the chance to discover other things that may have otherwise peaked their interest.

Beyond the more liberal belief that people excel when they pursue their interests and passions, there is the more conservative belief that educational institutions must prepare students to survive within the established environment that they will be graduating into.

At the end of the day, I'm not aware of schools stopping students from pursuing their interests and passions outside of class time. I'm also not aware of schools teaching completely useless topics - even boring classes teach you what you're not interested in.

I'm not saying that the schools always decide on the best educational experience for all their students - I'm saying that the students generally don't know any better than the teachers do.

Posted by: Shlo
  • I need this to say he is wrong

I personally believe the reason we have school is to prepare you for the future. As a young person we do not see what the future holds for us while older people see what kind of things are needed for the future ahead. Those people can best prepare us for the future and give us the tools needed to succeed

• It stops your from pursuing other opurtunitites

I have just chosen my GCSEs at my school but we only got to pick 3 options and we had to take more than 10 "core subjects". Most of these subjects such as triple science are things that I don't enjoy and won't need in my future as I plan on going into law or journalism. If there weren't mandatory subjects then people would have more chances to take classes that are really going to help them in the future.

• Mandatory Classes stop students who know want do from learning faster than a snail pace

I am myself in school and the mandatory classes that slow me down and make me hate my school are art and music. They are of no use because I do not want anything to do with these classes yet they take up a quarter of my time in school I have no artistic talent and barley know any notes on the clarinet yet they still make me have to go and bring down my mark for not wanting to do them so they should just allow students in Canada above grade 5 chose their own classes to kickstart whatever they want to do in life.

• I need this for a school paper

I personally believe that schools should not have mandatory classes. I believe that students should be able to choose their own classes based on their interests and what they want to do in the future. This would allow them to essentially get a jump start on their career path. I need both sides opinions so please help

• Most Classes Aren't Necessary

I recently watched "Don't Stay in School" and realized how may things we learn in school aren't going to apply to what I want to learn/need to learn. Yes I've learned how to multiply, write a paper, figure out parts of cells, but it's not what I NEED to learn. Lots of schools have Sex ED/Health class but there are still people who don't know about things like actually raising a child. I don't see us having classes on 'How to Avoid Giving All of Your Money to the Homeless Guy on Main St." Yes, I know a weird topic but still, aren't these kind of important? Lots of people are easily affected by peer pressure, and whether that's drinking or giving your gas money to a homeless guy it doesn't matter. It's still important.

• Classes slow people down

Many people know what they want to do when they are young. I would like to pursue a career in law. If needing to know what x= in 5x+12=-9 is than by all means I will learn that but it isn't necessary. I should get to take beginners law or a debate club of some sort.

• I'm writing a letter to my senator

I'm a high school student now and I don't think they should be mandatory, if I were to learn something new, yeah, but the thing is I feel like I'm wasting about half of my classes on things that won't help me, I have already learned most of what I am learning in almost all of my classes, I speak English fluently so it isn't like English is much help to me, we are barely learning anything new and I'm feeling trapped in most my classes where everything is basic, I think that we should be able to test out of classes like English and math, and all the other classes, and if you pass the test, move on to the next level and learn to your brain power, not by what grade you are in.

• We are naturally pushed away from subjects.

When children are forced to study some thing we automatically are losing interest. Can see why you want mandatory subjects for elementary schooling but once you reach Jr. And Sr. High school you should be able to pick your own classes besides the 2 electives that you have.

I know that I am pushed away from maths because I am forced to do it and even then if I wasn't I still would hate it because none of my maths teachers have ever helped me. I can's stand the fact that there are mandatory subjects in school

• Many classes aren't necessary.

I personally believe that once you graduate grammar school(K-8), you should be able to choose your own classes. Unless I plan on being a Mathematics teacher, which I do not plan to be, I do not need to know how to find out if one triangle is congruent to another. I will not need Trigonometry or Calculus. I will also not need to know q=mHv to answer Chemistry or Physics questions.