Should schools maintain the Pledge of Allegiance as a daily classroom routine?

• Yes They Should

We live in America and its almost a tradition to say the Pledge of Allegiance before school starts. I don't see why people have a problem with it. We're too sensitive these days. If you do not want to say it, then don't, but do not make a big deal out of it.

• Yes.

I still believe the pledge of allegiance has a place in the classroom. I believe that children should also be given the option to just stand out of respect if they do not wish to say a phrase like "under God." However, I am not a religious person by any means, and I always said the pledge of allegiance. I think it call build loyalty and also give people something to believe in.

• Keep The Pledge In The Classrooms

I think that we should keep the Pledge of Allegiance in the classrooms. It shows patriotism and is something all American citizens, not just students, should know. I do not have a problem with it being a daily routine. It takes two minutes to do and is not harming anyone at all.

• We live in the USA

Usually I'm very liberal when it comes to education but we live in America so the pledge of ALLEGIANCE is a very important part of our country's culture g g g. G. Go g. Go g. Go gg. G gg g. Gg g g. Gg g g g g g

• We need God!

Without God we are nothing. We can't just take out laws because someone has a hatred towards another group. Atheists should just accept it, it's been here for 60 years, there is no point in taking it out now. If someone does not want to say it,they can simply not say it.

• Yes we should!

We are America.Gods Country!! We should stand up for our freedom! && May God bless America!! We have gone so down hill these last many years! Do you not remember of what our Fathers did for us in the Beginning? Fought to the death for us, && all on the faith of God! We should respect our Fathers && God for making America what we are. && I respect it!

• Schools should maintain the Pledge of Allegiance but students should have the option of whether or not to say the words "under God."

The Pledge of Allegiance is to the United States. Citizens and nationals should be willing to pledge allegiance to their nation. The words that make it controversial are "under God," which were not part of the original pledge. Students should have the option of saying the pledge without the controversial words.

• The way the pledge is treated is making it meaningless and thus has no use as a daily classroom routine.

When students are 5 years old, too young to be pledging allegiance to anything or anyone, they are told to memorize a poem and recite it daily. If they ask why, they get the famous adult answer of "because I said so." They are never taught what they are saying or why they are saying it. They are expected to use a moment of silence to pay respect to soldiers but are never told so. So students are using that time to think about useless things like what they are eating for lunch or why they're just standing around like a bunch of idiots. And while they do legally have the option to not participate, socially they do not. Even soldiers are at least told why they are doing what they do before they have to do it. Also, non-american students are forced to say their country is inferior to the one they are in on a daily basis. Finally, students under 18 are not here by choice. When they are adults they may choose to stay, but they do not have the option to leave so they should not be expected to be proud they are here. Not to say we are there worst country, but that doesn't mean we are the best or that we must agree with everything simply because it is american. At least the way the pledge is treated now, there is simply no benefit to practically forcing underage children to recite this poem.

• No it shouldn't.

The Pledge of Allegiance was proposed to schools by a flag company wanting to boost sales of their flags. When the schools accepted this, every public school in the country bought flags for their classrooms. The pledge was not written so kids would keep the nations patriotism but as a promotional gag to make money. This should not be daily routine.

• Some children dont know what it means to "pledge allegiance"

When asked, over 20 students in an 11th grade class didnt know what it meant to "pledge allegiance." It should not be required for students to recite something that they dont know means. This validates our freedom of speech and is not our american rights. Souldiers have fought for these rights for us

• Brainwashing Young Children!

I believe that children as young as five years old SHOULD NOT have to repeat words without knowing the true meaning of them. As a child, my school had an annual "flag day" where we would always sing a song with these lyrics: "A-M-E-R-I-C-A, I love America every day! If you love America like I do, come and sing the song and I'll sing with you! Oh I love America! Oh I love America! I do, I do, I do!" You may be thinking that is somewhat unrelated, but in fact it represents our current patriotic culture and the blind faith children have when it comes to these things. Honestly, I think that children should not be taught to say the pledge; and should instead learn to formulate their own opinions without the influence of our government. I am by no means someone who hates this country, but I see it's faults AS WELL AS it's weaknesses; which is something that the pledge fails to address.

• Legally not required

I am going to play Devil's advocate in that according to legal issues that a minor cannot be held accountable to a legal contract. In the pledge one is asking another to avow, affirm, agree, or PLEDGE obedience to the flag. While given a minor subject's age, this contract would be nullified, I do believe that children should be taught the pledge to understand what it means and why it is in our history. But to have it required, NO!

• No they shouldn't have to say the pledge evryday

I think that kids should not have to say the pledge of allegiance. Its is a waste of our already short class time. That is time we could be learning.A vast majority of us love our country we just don't need to say it EVERYDAY. Eventually it will become something that we just do not something we love and respect. We only need to express the way that we feel about our country every once and a while at large event like graduation and banquets etc.In our hearts we now that we love and respect our country but do we really need to say it every single day? I see the other side it shows respect and build unity and shows kids to love our country and be loyal. Yet we can do many other thing than that some kids don't believe in go d so Under God what is that and why impose this on kids.

• No, a pledge means nothing if it is imposed.

Schools should not maintain the Pledge of Allegiance as a daily classroom routine because a pledge means nothing if it is imposed. It's not harmful to recite the pledge, but it should not be expected of every single child in every classroom across American, every day. What would be more meaningful would be a discussion of what the Pledge means, how it originated, and how people feel about it.