• Yes school should start later

Students are extremely stressed in the morning and are rushing to get to school on time! That way they don't have a good breakfast they don't have time to review their studies and they get to school tired and depressed! Sometimes even with all that they are still late! If school would start 45 min later and end 45 min later all that could be stopped! Students would get more sleep, would have a good breakfast, would have time to review their studies thus getting better marks and they would even be less depressed! Just shifting the school time by 45 min would make a huge difference and solve countless problems!! I believe that all schools who are not already starting at 9:00 should make the change today!!

• I honestly agree. I am not saying that we have to start at like noon but at least like 9:00 A.M

I am a high school student who has troubles staying awake through class in the morning because school starts so early. I think it would be healthier for the students because they will be getting more sleep and your mood is greatly affected by the amount of sleep you get.

• Biological perspective on why schools should start later

When you are in your teenage years, your body is undergoing an important developmental phase. Sleep is critical during this period as it aids in the development process. Sleep also has many other important properties such as helping the consolidation of memories, which is a core part of learning. It also physically restores the body. Being continually deprived of sleep lowers your immune system's capabilities, as well as causing the degradation of moods, which in turn affects behaviour and ultimately relationships.

The problem here is that melatonin, the chemical released by your body which induces sleep, is released in teenagers at a later time of the day (later at night than adults). And because of the developmental phase they are going through, teenagers need 9-10 hours of sleep to be at their best. However, daily life is scheduled around adults, who need 7-8 hours of sleep to be at their best. Now since adult bodies release melatonin earlier, it is much easier for them to get the required amount of sleep than it is for teenagers, and this difference is where the main cause of sleep deprivation in teenagers lies. As a result, teenagers are sleeping less and are not getting the most out of school, whilst simultaneously damaging their bodies.

Therefore high schools should start later in order for students to get the most out of their education, whilst also allowing for as much physical growth to occur during this phase as is possible.

• Yes, better for concentration levels

This concentration is also beneficial when it comes to exams. The average teenager needs around 9.5 hours of sleep per night. Yet studies show that teenagers generally get an average of 7.4 hours a night. Teenagers should have longer to wake up and prepare for school properly. Also the concentration levels would increase.

• Yes, it's good for you.

Athough people would have to get to bed later, you can still wake up later so you'll get the same amout of rest that you're suppose to have. People happen to become more irritable when they are woken up earlyer. People also seem to have other behavours from waking up too early.

• Yes, of course!

I am actually doing a speech supporting this. Some of our points were with more sleep we can focus. Starting school later has been proven to raise standardized test scores. Many teens are sleep deprived and could user that extra hour of sleep. This could be very beneficial to kids across the nation.

• WE NEED SLEEP!

I go to sleep around 11 and wake up at around 6:30 I wake up groggy and tired still. I have tried changing my bedtime to 9 or 10, and still same feeling. On the weekends I do the same thing but I wake up at around 7:30 (one hour later) feeling refreshed and ready to take on the day. I can't get that same feeling on school days. I feel need to take this problem and take control and stop it.

• Health is important too

Waking up too early can cause people who stay up late doing homework tired in the morning. We should go to school to learn instead of thinking of sleep. Some people even skip breakfast because of the need to get to school in time. If students are worried about needing to sleep or being hungry in the morning, they can not concentrate on what is important. If school starts later, students may also have more time to finish homework that they did not complete because they were too tired at night from a lack of sleep and too much homework.

• Schools Should Start Later

With the increasing time students spend doing homework, they are sleeping later at night. By having school later, students can make up for some lost sleep or even unfinished homework. Another problem is people not having enough time to eat breakfast in the morning. Breakfast is the most important meal of a day, but many people end up skipping it. School is for learning and education, but a lack of food and sleep can distract students from learning in school.

• Of course it should

I have observed my sister in high school. She sleeps at about 3 o'clock and wakes up at 7'oclock that is only 4 hours of sleep. If her school started later and ended a little later she would be ready to learn and not ready to fall asleep in class.

• There's no point in starting later.

Most teenagers ranging from 15+ years old only need about 7 hours of sleep. If you can manage to get more sleep at night, then you should be set. Just because a couple of students can't manage to wake up and be ready to start their day when told doesn't mean the whole school should just move up their start times.

• No way jose

If you start late, you end late. If the student has after school activities, they would get in the way. Every middle school should get out at 2;30 and start at 7;40, its a true fact JACK! Oh By the way i live in the ocean and im a purple octopus

• No

School is fine the way it is. If you went later that would put kids that are in sports home later and they would be missing supper times, homework time, and family time. There is no reason to start later. People have to get up and go to work early all the time. No reason kids can't do that in school

• It would be a shorter school day.

Since the school day is shorter, the students would learn less. If the don't learn a lot as kids they won't grow up and get good jobs. It would also eventually make kids tell their parents that they could stay up later because the school day starts later. My last reason is because the kids might not want to go to school later.

• No, thank you

I'd rather not be at softball practice till eight at night when it is pitch black because some people have a problem with getting up at six in the morning because they go to bed at midnight. I am a college student and I have woken up at five in the morning for years without a problem because I don't wait for the A.M. To go to bed. L

• Sleeping schedules won't change

Even if school would start at a later time, children would take advantage of it an actually get no more sleep. Children would stay up later and still have problems waking. But not all children do this, school shouldn't start later just or a few students, because most students are used to te sleeping schedule after going to school for a while.

• No it cant

If you think about it, it will all end up being the same. The time differences will even out. But with me being an athlete, this would be terrible for us. We wouldnt get home from games till about midnight and practices would have to run much later than normal.

• No

Students have become accustomed to the current system of school. Depending on the extremity of delay, it could affect the learning ability of the students at different times of day. Not to mention that it prepares students for the harsh reality of the world: you do have to wake up at 5:00 to go to work.

• It shouldn't start earlier than 7;20 am

I think we should start around 8;00am in the moring it would be better than 7;20 because we don't have that much energy as much other kids /.\ .. So we can have more knowledge of what we are suppose to have and not waste our time ing other stuff like sleeping and not having our stuff plus we have to be more active because people are failing

• Waste of time

If students get and early start to their day they will have more time to do things and get more accomplished. They will have more time for their jobs and after school activities. Our society basically has a schedule that it naturally goes by, so why mess that up by making school later and having the students adjust the schedule to the school's schedule?