Should Schools Teach Both The Creationism & Evolution Theories?

Asked by: savannahbhang
  • If Evolution can so can Christianity.

I am a Christian. And not to take anything away from evolution is a theory. Now in the future I would rather have my kids believe in something with a little more evidence and paper work than in something that we don't even know happened and the fact the idea didn't com to fruition and a word in the dictionary until after the pass of the 19th and going into the 20th century. And at the least I would live with both being taught that way is being shown at a full image and you could let the kids chose which one they want to believe.

• There is a juxtaposition here.

Evolution should be taught, because biology should be taught. That is a no brainer. However, Creationism should NOT be taught as science. It isn't science, its religion. It should ALSO NOT be the only religion taught in school. We are a pluralistic society of MANY religions and it makes perfect sense that we would have an education system that armed our students with the basic facts and premises of major world religions. At the very least, it would reduce incidents of extremism like the blather of anti-Islamists who terrorize the Muslims in our Nation under the curious guise that they are somehow resisting terrorism.

We need a comparative religion class.

• Social Studies Bro.

I believe both should be taught in schools. This is not because I am religious, but because it would be a great Social Studies assignment to learn about Creationism, as religion can tell a lot about a country.
    I'm not saying schools should force kids to learn and believe in creationism, but I think it would be a good idea.

• Teachers are not preachers

I personally am a Christian and believe in a mix between creationism and evolution, but don't believe that teachers should be able to influence the religious beliefs of students. Children are very impressionable and basically anything that a teacher says to young children will become their opinion as well. If you eternal resting place, heaven or hell, can be influenced by what you believe, than we are essentially giving that decision up to a teacher, whether they are religious or not.

• No, absolutely not..

Creationism should NOT be taught in schools. It is a flawed theory based on mythology and should not be considered a valid scientific theory. I wouldn't want my children going to school to be brainwashed by nonsense because religious people like to force their beliefs on everyone else and indoctrinate children with their ridiculous fairy tales.

• Teach science, let religion play its role.

Science and religion apply different methodologies and answer different questions, as a deeply religious individual also pursuing graduate studies in a science-related field, religion answers why and by whom, science answers how. When you try to take one beyond the basis to which it applies (science seeking to explain why and give meaning, religion seeking to explain mechanisms and natural phenomena) your underlying postulates no longer apply and you conclusions are invalid.

Science should be taught based on the prevailing and best theories of the time, and not according to ideological influence. However, also as part of science, students should learn the limits and underlying assumptions and postulates of science. Those were probably some of the best few lessons from my school experience. What is the foundation of science, how does it work, and what does it explain.

• Seperation Of Church and State

There is a wall between separation of church and state that has sadly been breached and sabotaged on multiple levels and that can be shown in our usage of the phrase "Under God" in the pledge of allegiance, "In God We Trust" on our money and the fact that an atheist president is a long lost dream in this country. Instead of teaching children biblical tales that have little to no real world impact and are easily refutable on their very 'truths', on so many levels, we should instead teach our children HOW to think. Not WHAT to think. And teaching scientific methods and theories such as evolution is a start, sure. In fact, I would be neutral on this issue originally but I know what people mean by "teach" in this context. It means tell it as if it were true. So no, I think only evolution should be taught because at least it is backed by scientific evidence and not theological confidence.

• Schools are for education, not indoctrination

If children - or the children's parents - want to learn about religious topics it should be done in their own time and not at the expense of others. Religion and state should remain inherently separate. In New Zealand, state schools cannot teach creation - it is a part of religion and religion has no place in state schools. Only specifically religious schools can teach creation theory, but not in the place of science.

Young people should not be indoctrinated into religion until they have enough information and experience of the world to decide for themselves what they believe in. Science only. Religion should not be forced on young minds before they are only enough to understand what it really is.

• One is science. One is not. Period.

Firstly, I'm going to forgo all the semantics and assume the question is directed at Public Schools, specifically Science Class. In that perimeter, it's very clear that science should be the subject of science class, not superstition or mythology. Now, theoretically, there could be a place for religion in general and Creationism specifically in public school, and that would be in a World Religions Class or even a Humanities Class. However, this is not really a plausible plan. The main difference between classical mythology and modern religion is not so much the veracity of the content, but the fact modern religion is still held to be true by most of the population. The religions of old, once thought of as just as true and real as the modern ones of today, litter the trash heap of history with their corpses. And we call that mass grave, mythology. It's very unlikely that such classes could be taught in an objective, unbiased way right now, at least at the K-12 level.

Perhaps when the popular consensus is reversed, where 90% of the population has rejected religion, such a thing will be more plausible. Until then, to avoid abuse and costly civil rights lawsuits, it is probably better to leave Creationism where it belongs; in the churches and in the Sunday School Classes.