• Scotland can be independent

I believe that Scotland being independent will be a good step forward for them. Speaking from someone who has lived in Scotland, but doesn't currently. People are expecting it to go badly but I think that you have to go downhill before you can go up. As soon as Scotland realises what's in it for them I think they can get really high up

• Scotland can be independent

• Scotland can be independent

• Yes it should!

Of course there was no need for Scotland to become an independent nation a few years ago, because it's opinion, view was the same as UK's. But know, after Brexit and UK leavin EU, we can clearly see that Scotland's and UK's future plans do not point at the same Picture. As we analyse the result of the referendum, it's obvious that the whole Scotland wanted to stay a part of EU. This means that it needs to be given a chance to create it's future and independent nation. I believe that as a democratic nation United Kingdom should support Scotland's whether it I will be a part of UK or not - just give people to make a free choice for themselves and their future.

• If They Want It, Which It Appears They Don't

I wish there were a third selection, "Maybe". But, there is not, so I am going to select "Yes" but add "If they vote for it", but since the Scottish independence referendum failed, I guess than they should not.

Let me add that, as an American, it is hard to turn a blind eye to any nation wanting independence from the British empire, but in Scotland's case, I guess they should unless more people want it.

• Independent Scotland as member of the European Union

Scotland must be independent if she wants to be a member of the European Union after the Brexit. When UK has voted to leave the EU, if Scotland is still a part of the UK, she must leave as well along with the UK, despite her wishes to remain. So, in order to be a member of the EU, Scotland's only choice is to carry out the Indyref 2.

• I agree that Scotland should...

Be independent because It should be possible for every country. But the politicians don`t care what the citizens want or say. Scotland deserves a chance to be free from Great Britain as so many other nearby lands are. Scotland will likely flourish economically if it is allowed to govern itself.
    England will become richer because send far more to Scotland in aid than we ever receive in tax returns.

• England should stop mothering Scotland for once?

I'm not saying Scotland "should" become an independent country, however, I bet she's tired of being pushed around. I am aware of the economic flaws that would come out of it all... I know that England would suffer a little through the process, as well as Scotland. But for what? England wants Scotland to stay in the UK... But now Scotland has that chance to become her own person, to make her own decisions. As of now, Scotland has already voted "no" for her independence, and that is fine. But will she stand any more of the mothering? To continue to be told what to do? If not independence, then what?
    (what do you guys think? Englanders and Scots alike?)

• The Queen is making a mistake of not giving Scotland independence

I believe that everyone has a voice and believe that Scotland has voice like cmon guys do not remember les miserables the French got there Independence so I think it's time that Scotland to have it and besides w are not subjects we are people and the Queeny does not know that it's time to stand up and as well do bravehart yah that's it was all William Wallce and scotesh independence so I believe that we an do the same thing.
    GOD DAME THE QUEEN!!!

• Scotland finally free

Scotland has bred used, assets stripped by Westminster. They have lied to us every step of the way. Making promises they have no intention of keeping. The told the pensioners that they would loose their pension if Scotland went independent. Sadly that too was a lie. The UK pay pensions to many retired British subjects the world over. They will have to do the same for pensioners here.

• Scotland is not awesome.

We would be poor and Alex Salmond would proclaim himself "dictator for life" Next thing you know hes wearing red boots and assembling the Salmond youth, turning to Germany for support and its animal farm all over again. And we will be all like ENGLAND TAKE US BACK I LOVE YOU IM SORRY!!!!! And you know what they will say? They will say you know this big vault of gold? You what its called... it called SUCK IT!

• The head must rule, not the heart.

In all practicalities, Scotland would not earn nearly enough money to cover the welfare system in place or any of the public sector employment. The welfare system in Scotland costs £104 billion per annum, with 20 billion approximately being the cost of the NHS. Scotland has a GDP of between 1 and 10 billion per year -depending on which sources you examine - which includes oil royalties.

Without the trade and only 2 million tax payers to cover the costs it is an ill-conceived idea to consider independence. It is very likely that without the Royal Mint, Post Office, Pensions and EU membership that Scotland would survive 10 years without approaching the UK to rejoin.

On a post script note, it is worth noting that 80% of the employment in Scotland is in the Public Sector which means that some employed in the Public Sector now, would lose their jobs. All pay would be decreased with a massive surge in taxation.

• Scotland isn't advanced enough to become independent.

For all you idealists out there the idea of independence would be a catastrophe for Scotland. Believe me when I say I'm Scottish, but I don't believe that we would benefit at all. Scotland has a reputation for blowing money. In the past, city councils in Aberdeen, Dundee and Glasgow have all blown money on horrible schemes where benefit living junkies lurk about. Even 300 years ago when we were independent, Scotland was in a dire state until we united with England and in the next 200 years we conquered a quarter of the world. Apart from Salmond and Sturgeon, Scotland has no other politicians that are actually smart enough for running a country by themselves. Please do not mention the magic word OIL because for all we know Scotland will probably lose links with oil companies if we separate. PLEASE VOTE NO because sooner or later we will crawl back to England and we will be united again.

• Bad For Scotland

I'm Scottish. Look at the facts.

Better off? Yeah right. The oil is already drying up, in 30 years time it won't be here. So in 30 years time, a big industry is lost. We can't go back. Independence is for life, not until finances aren't comfy enough for us. What other industries? Fishing, for instance, stocks already drying up and not a big market due to tight controls already, countries like Iceland with less constraints are cornering the market.

Reality is, even if we pay a lot towards the Government, the UK provides stability. In an economic crash we've got some more money than without the UK for sure. We are lucky already, a devolved Scottish government, separate banks, separate NHS.

The reality is, independence sounds good on the face of it. Freedom! Money! Quality of life! Some people need a wake up call. A big part of the economy (and the downturn of it too) is from the EU. For a big country (in terms of impact) such as a complete UK, the regulations and trading can be a mix of good or bad, depending on your opinion of course. For a small, unimportant country (and yes, on its own, at least at the start, Scotland WILL be unimportant) it is a lifeline. A lot more trading, more stability, tons more stuff. Whether the EU is good for a larger country with a better economy is arguable. For a small country to get money and trade in Europe, it's a necessity. To get INTO the EU requires a lot of things. A lot of things which, as soon as Scotland separates, we won't have.

Scotland isn't oppressed. It isn't downtrodden. It isn't the land of William Wallace, we aren't Highlanders clad in tartan preparing to fight for the right to speak Scots, play bagpipes and the right to freedom and our own land. That's hundreds of years ago. Scotland is a thriving, vibrant country with brilliant people, brilliant businesses and brilliant connections, we need the UK for that, especially economic hubs like London.

• No! Scotland couldn't stand on its own!

It should remain part of the United Kingdom. It has been part of Great Britain for many years now! If it did become independent many folks would start riots, fights, etc. Everyone would want to go back to the United Kingdom, and it can't just go back to normal! Scotland would struggle being an independent country. As a part of the United Kingdom we would have more power in the world. I strongly am against the fact that Scotland should become an independent country.

• Please keep Scotland in the United Kingdom.

Scotland should always remain in the United Kingdom. If Scotland became independent there would be far too many problems. Firstly it would have to either take on the euro as currency, It would lose its power and those visiting England would have to use their passports to emigrate. Scotland must not leave the United Kingdom at all.

• Scottish independence is pointless.

If Scotland became independent it would lose Royal Mail, the security services, the BBC and other British things. It's completely pointless. The only people who want an independent Scotland are rebellious teenagers and power-hungry politicians who want to have their own country. Scotland wouldn't last a year without the rest of the U.K.

• No no no!

After reading the yes responses it seems that those saying yes are being very patriotic and are not considering the economy. It goes back to the whole "Scottish" not "British"...Scotland being independent means more taxes and more idiots like Alex Salmond with more power, sitting sipping his Champagne to celebrate while we will have to work harder to pay for his mess and lifestyle.

• NO

Scotland should not be independent as it lacks planning. Other nations who have become independent have had well thought out plans and have had all the necessary paper work and documents filled out. Also tax will have to be raised to pay all the extra expenses. A lot of jobs will be lost when the nuclear plant is shut down. How long will Scotland be able to keep up all there promises before they go bankrupt. the oil is a finite resource so will no provide Scotland with the necessary funds. As they will be a small nation with no certain future they will have no bargaining power in the UN (not to mention they may not even be able to be part of the UN) and other countries will no be willing to invest in them because of there uncertain future . If they were to end up in the same position of the banking bailouts Scotland would have no security blanket to fall back upon. Scotland also does not have the plans nor the power/money to exploit there resources in such a way which would support the country adequately. These are only some of many arguments for Scotland to remain as part of the UK.

• Sounds good on paper...

I believe that Scotland could become independent but it wouldn't work. Yes we have oil, which will run out one day, whisky and renewable energy, but to create renewable energy companies get money from the government, could the Scottish government do this? I don't think they could. I am a young Scottish girl and when I'm older I don't want to go through the hardships of trying to make up for lost money from a failed idea that seemed good on paper and many people went along with so they could get Scottish on their passport instead of British. The country has enough finance problems being part of Britain and these will become worse if we are independent because we will be left to fend for ourselves. Yes we would be able to be part of the EU but you have to go through a long process of being accepted and have to meet all of the requirements. So all in all there are more cons than pros.

Venator says2013-04-25T01:08:36.663
Looking forward to filling in forms where I can put Scotland instead of United Kingdom
Anonymous says2013-04-26T10:02:38.800
Happy to have Trident back, thanks. Re-target on Edinburgh, Glasgow etc. Do you really think the "British" are any better or different to the Yugoslavs? Looking forward to a violent, bloody and vicious war. Than a closed border, forcible repatriation of ethnic Scots, cessation of trade and commerce. And veto Scotlands attempt to get back into the EU.
Anonymous says2013-04-29T21:46:31.627
Reading the sadly typical and woefully uninformed comments from those who don’t even have a vote in the forthcoming referendum, what strikes me is just how uninformed the writers of these comments are. It would be comical if it were not so disturbing. As a typical comment headlined “Yes from an Englishman” who remains anonymous he states “Then I say good riddance to them. Bye bye Scotland. Maybe then we English can have free university, free prescriptions and all the other perks that the “evil and oppressive” Westminster chose to give you.” Says it all really I wonder what planet the author has been living on these last few years? No wonder that wee are desperate to get as far away from these buffoons as soon as possible.
Anonymous says2013-04-30T14:56:59.350
You know, "England will probably annihilate you with nuclear weapons when they get their period..." tends to lend credance to the notion that we arent actually better together mate.
Anonymous says2013-04-30T14:59:23.580
Anonymous says, "Happy to have Trident back." Then goes on say Re-target Edinburgh, Glasgow etc. Just shows the level of English education when an idiot can write such nonsense, and no doubt believe it. Radiation doesn't respect borders. Remember Chernobyl?.
Anonymous says2013-04-30T17:13:48.663
The ignorance shown by the NO contributors is quite staggering. I am not surprised however, as any time I have travelled to England a mist of Brigadoon proportions descends behind me at the border. Hotels in my experience offer newspapers to various nationalities, but as a Scot I am given a choice of English papers, as "they are the same" I am told. Television? London centric and living in a land of past "glories". This explains the ignorance, but the arrogance and aggression on display by some is another matter. Thankfully they don't represent the majority of English people who are decent and fair minded people. As for the anti-Salmond bile pouring out of some of the Scots, they should reflect on the fact that the SNP and Salmond have consistently high approval ratings despite a Unionist media hell bent on demonising them at every turn. This says a lot for the common sense of most Scots who look around and see, for the very first time, a government looking after ALL their interests. Independence, with all of Scotland's resources to hand, will take this process to an even higher level. Vote YES. The alternative is Osborne, Cameron, Clegg, Milliband and the rest of Thatcher's future acolytes.
Anonymous says2013-04-30T17:24:07.480
"Happy to have Trident back, thanks. Re-target on Edinburgh, Glasgow etc. Do you really think the "British" are any better or different to the Yugoslavs? Looking forward to a violent, bloody and vicious war. Than a closed border, forcible repatriation of ethnic Scots, cessation of trade and commerce. And veto Scotlands attempt to get back into the EU."

All the more reason to build up our armed forces and be rid of a nation of half wits like you.
Anonymous says2013-04-30T21:55:29.177
So far it's looking good for the Yes vote.
Anonymous says2013-05-11T00:03:29.770
Wooooo! Hooooooo! Puts all the other polls to shame
Andidry says2014-02-01T19:38:50.447
85% of informed people are voting YES, get informed, ignorance is a choice. After every fair debate, YES comes out on top by a huge margin. Anyone with access to the internet can inform themselves, do not trust the corrupt uk media, peddling lies and government propaganda.
k1ng says2014-02-06T18:09:25.250
People always make the assumption that because others have a different view that they are uninformed. That's so egotistical it's funny
LadyKiller.Kydd says2014-06-15T21:53:34.947
"England would go to war with Scotland if they go independent?" come ahead
StudentAnon says2014-09-07T12:34:51.407
If it is won by 90% it is always rigged.
Chareose says2014-09-10T19:33:42.523
I think the Scotts are naïve ...........We are talking about a DIVORCE. This magical Disney world that Salmon has described is completely fictitious....... Rightly or wrongly English people (despite being very fond of Scotland) generally feel that Scotland has received more than its fair share of funding from the United Kingdom.......If you go to places like Yorkshire you can see the difference..... So when divorce finally happens the dust will settle and then the back lash will start, just like in a divorce. People in the Uk will score political points from nit picking the relationship with Scotland "why are we paying for that ? And why are we paying for this?" Salmons idea is basically that the UK will protect Scotland militarily at the smallest of costs but I don't think the remainder of the UK will accept that..........

Like I said it will be a messy messy divorce and how can IT not impact both economies ...??? Ofcourse it will..........