Should secondary have different school times to accomoate the teenage brain?

Asked by: Polymorphin
  • Yes to later school starting times.

Secondary levels should have later school starting times to help the teenage brains. Most teens from a survey taken by the cdc's youth risk behavior most teens didn't hit the recommended 9-10 hours of sleep a night. This lack of sleep doesn't help the teens developement of the brian or the activiaty. Pushing school back a couple of hours might help with that. I understand that its the teens responsibility to go to bed earlier and get more sleep but its hard for children to do so when most teens do sports after school till 9 or 10 at night and not to mention all the homework that is added on to the stress of teens but pushing back school a few hours wouldn't hurt any.The teens are learning and growing and they can't do that when they get less than 6 hours a night. When Jackson Hole High School in Wyoming shifted its start time to 8:55 a.M., the number of car crashes involving teenage drivers dropped by 70% Some crashes are involving teens are from lack of sleep which isn't good either.

• Yes to later school starting times.

Secondary levels should have later school starting times to help the teenage brains. Most teens from a survey taken by the CDC's youth risk behavior most teens didn't hit the recommended 9-10 hours of sleep a night. This lack of sleep doesn't help the teens development of the brain or the activity. Pushing school back a couple of hours might help with that. I understand that its the teens responsibility to go to bed earlier and get more sleep but its hard for children to do so when most teens do sports after school till 9 or 10 at night and not to mention all the homework that is added on to the stress of teens but pushing back school a few hours wouldn't hurt any.The teens are learning and growing and they can't do that when they get less than 6 hours a night. When Jackson Hole High School in Wyoming shifted its start time to 8:55 a.M., the number of car crashes involving teenage drivers dropped by 70% Some crashes are involving teens are from lack of sleep which isn't good either.

• I say yes.

Most people think about the parents in a situation like this. "How would I get to work in time?" "I don't have time to drop of my kid before I go to work!" Well, too bad this isn't about you. Teens' bodies and brain are still developing at a rapid pace. They require more sleep, more repetition to memorize and learn, more food, etc. Why are we acting like this isn't a fact? Do we think it's not important for our children to get the best education possible?

• Teenagers really need sleep

If they have to wake up around 6:00 AM every weekday, they don't recieve the rest they really need for their developing brains. Most teenagers are often annoyed by their schedule and often show up to school angry, ticked off, and complaining. That's why they need to start school late.

• No. Deal with it.

School times should not change. They will have enough rest if you adjust your schedules accordingly. They need to learn how to adjust, make good decisions so they can perform the best. Babying them will not help them to learn the responsibility needed in adult life. They need to learn about time managements.