Should Section Four of the Voting Rights Act have been struck down?

Asked by: Ameliamk1
  • Not constitutional and not needed.

The Voting Rights Act of 1965 came at a time when minorities, especially African Americans, were being encouraged or even forced by law not to vote. Now it is 2013, when throughout the country, including the states targeted by Section Four, voting percentage of minorities are equal to that of whites, as Chief Justice Roberts showed through statistics in his written decision. This bill is not needed for that reason.

This law is also unconstitutional. Discriminating between states, especially based on notions now unsupported by statistics, goes against our founding documents and everything America stands for. I challenge those who disagree to find an example of some states' right it would be fair and constitutional to strip certain states of, but not others. This bill would be justifiable if it applied to all states, but singling out some states because they're "racist" is ridiculous.

On a personal note, I am from the south, and I am sick of these Northern bureaucrats, who have never met a Southerner in their lives, deciding we're all racist and that we need to be controlled. We are reasonable, fair people, and we love everyone, so before you judge on this Act or on the character of people you have never met, I suggest you look at the facts and statistics, then come talk to a few of us.

• Section 4(b) of the Voting Rights Act has lost its purpose and is consequently unnecessary

The Voting Rights Act wasn't completely eliminated. The Section 4 of the Voting Rights Act required that States must receive clearance from the Justice Department or a federal court in Washington before they made minor changes to voting procedures, like moving a polling place, or major ones, like redrawing electoral districts.

However, it was designed originally to allow progress in the voting process, not use the past to justify refusals of modifications. The Justice Department and Federal Courts need to stop living in the past.

• They're already doing Voter ID laws and stricter voting times...

Grr. I've heard several Republican politicians slip that as Voting Populace goes UP, the votes for Republicans go DOWN. One example: Some states my require you to have a driver's license in order to get a Voter ID card. What if you live in the suburb? Don't have a car? Never had the money/means to get a driver's license? That's already disenfranchising people right there voting. Also, some of them cost MONEY to get. How is that any different than a poll tax? This is only going to lead to very, very bad things.