Should security guards be fired to make room for more art teachers?

• It makes the most sense.

No matter what the fear mongers tell you, our public schools are the safest place our children can be. Safer than our own homes, in fact- far more children die at home than in schools. Schools with security guards have been shown to be no safer than those without.
    On the other hand- we actually NEED teachers in schools, and it is highly detrimental for our students to cut art and music.

• Why would a school need a security guards?

In my country (Australia) I have never ever seen a security guard employed for a school. I am shocked to hear that some schools have them. If the schools did offer a range of creative and physical outlets perhaps the schools would have less problem kids. Art is an essential part of education, it develops creativity, imagination, fine motor coordination, thinking skills and visual learning skills. Al of which are essential to proper development.

• why do kids go to school?

For a safe environment where they can develop and grow into responsible, productive and intelligent adults. I know that it may not be news to many, but there are many intrinsic benefits to being creative and spontaneous that simply is easiest to bring out in children through studies in the arts. Safety is not as big an issue as it can be resolved by allowing schools to be unders closer watch of Police Authorities whose job is the protection of the public.

Bottom line: let those who are suppose to teach teach and let those who are suppose to protect protect

• Security guards are for prisons.

Would the average student want to spend more time in an oppressive environment? Or one that values creativity and learning? I'm going to say that 9.9 times out of 10 its the latter than the former. Having more art teachers make the school day more fun and interesting and encourage students to go to class. It doesn't necessarily have to be art teachers either, it should encompass music, theater, writing, and science teachers. Check out this article.

Http://www.Truthdig.Com/eartotheground/item/what_happens_when_you_replace_school_guards_with_art_teachers_20130502/

• You're kidding , Right?

Schools have progressively become more and more like the American prison system. No really look at pictures of some of your local public schools and then take a look at some minimum and medium security prisons. I personally find it difficult to tell the difference at times. These armed security guards do NOT improve safety for public school students. In fact these security measures cause massive negative effect on psychological development and can cause humans to become paranoid and manic which then causes those issues that lead to these mass shootings. Wake up people!

• No, security guards should not be fired to make room for more art teachers.

I don't think an art teacher can keep order or protect students like the security guards. Unfortunate in today's time, we need protection for our children. I am sure there are some cuts that can be made elsewhere. I know gym is necessary, but perhaps some cuts can be made there. Or, if a parent wants their child taught art, do a fund raiser or lottery.

• No, neither should be fired.

Security guards should not be fired to make room for more art teachers, but more art teachers should still be hired, and additional security guards should not be hired at the expense of art teacher positions. Both are important, but we can be saturated with security guards to the point of overkill. We cannot be saturated with art teachers.

• No, neither should be fired.

• Not at all.

To those who say guards don't protect kids in school, go google "school shooting stopped by armed guard". Eat your heart out. While I agree there needs to be a little more quality in current education, it should not be at the dispense of the safety of the students at school.

• No No No No!

Art teachers do nothing for us but try to expose students and make money off of them. Many students don't need a school teacher to teach them how to paint and use a wheel. Most kids figure it out by themselves. And if they can't and they want to learn then go to a pottery center, take painting lessons, do something. Music and Arts aren't school subjects.