• This Requires an Explanation

Most teens self harm because of school pressure. If they are under pressure at school, they likely want to do well. People who want to do well probably won't want to break the law.

Honestly, I am a goody goody. I would never do something illegal. Most teens share a similar thought process. To have something like that over my head, I would have never started in the first place. This is definitely a tricky matter. But I honestly believe that less people would self harm if this was illegal. Most self harmers are teens or in their twenties and to teens especially, the law is still very ominous (weird word for this but you know what I mean). Most teens won't want to do something illegal like this.

• No way in Hell!

Not only would it make those afflicted feel even more horrible about themselves for doing it, but it would also give them another incentive to hide it. Plus, people cannot get help while in jail and it would only screw them up more. Also, I was a goody goody too. And let me tell you...I honestly don't know for sure that I would stay away from it, even if it was illegal. End of story.

• Self harm shouldn't be illegal

Self harm is mainly an effect of what the person is feeling on the inside. We can't throw them in jail because of what they feel and what they go through. Instead of throwing them in jail, causing them to want to self harm more, we should help them and get them assistance. Get them a therapist. And if they don't want to talk to a therapist, get them to talk to their friends or a parent.

• No, I do not think so.

I do not think self harm should be illegal. It would not accomplish anything other than making those who are already going through a difficult time and struggling feel worse and have to now be penalized for it. It would be counterproductive and not even make any sense for the situation.

• Self-Harm Should Not Be Illegal

Self-harm should not be illegal. In most cases, when someone is self-harming, s/he has mental health issues. Taking that person and throwing them in jail for their behavior without any compassion or treatment will not do anyone any good. Instead, people who are self-harming should be required to get mental health assistance.