Should sex-change operations be legal for minors?

• Sex change for minors

You don't know how ones mind is wired so you cannot say if it is okay or not for a minor to know/believe they are the opposite gender! I think that if a minor knows/believes they are the opposite gender they should be able to get the treatment to help them appear the gender they want to identify as.

• Sex change for minors

This isn't legal already?! I thought it was. Anyways, yes kids (like myself) should have a sex change. Expecally those kids that are extremely depressed and tried killing themselves because they didn't want to handle the pain of not being the opposite gender (like myself).

They shouldn't just walk into the hospital and be like "Hey I wanna a vagina!" they should have a psychiatrist's approval as well as parental (although that could be pretty ugly as I would imagine some parents flipping that their child wants this, damaging their mental state even farther.)

All in all yeah this should be allowed, as I see no reason for it not to be with even a licensed mental-health doctor supporting the child as well.

• Imagine your genitals have become those of the opposite sex, overnight

Chances are most of you are cisgendered men and women, meaning the gender you were assigned and your own personal identity match. Think for a minute, the connection you've made with your own body. And what I mean by that is, think how much your gender affects your identity as a person, and how much you've grown to love and accept the body you've been given. Now imagine, after contently living as your correct gender, you wake up to find your genitals have been switched to that of the opposite sex. You would most likely feel distraught at the notion you would have to live with the wrong genitals for a period of time, or possibly the rest of your life. Waking up every morning, and looking down to see the genitals you have are opposite of the gender you always knew you were. We wake up 365 days of the year, look down, and feel psychical pain and emotional agony that our own bodies cannot affirm the gender we feel inside. This is what being a transgender child feels like, and statistically these children have yet to change their feelings on this matter (while also having a suicide rate 5 times higher than any other). If a child is well tested, on the hormones of the opposite sex, and living as their affirmed gender, plus parental consent, sex change should be totally available. You are right, we are children, we can be reckless and stupid and frankly overall immature, but you were all us once (children). And to put a child through emotional torture because they believe we might change our minds about essentially "cutting off our penises", or reconstructing our vagina's, this is a mistake that can lead to dead sons and daughters, instead of living daughters and sons.

• Adults are in no way superior to minors, so yes.

Minors are actually superior to adults, they learn faster, they are younger, they are also probably going to be alive when we are dead. Adults can be equally irresponsible and make stupid, regrettable, and irrational decisions as minors. And minors have the ability to think rationally, make informed decisions, and be mature to know what they want just like adults. So I see no reason to make it illegal.

• Yes sex-change operations should be legal for minors

They should be legal provided they have an adult with them at the time of the procedure, and are mature enough to know exactly what they are getting into and the ramifications of it. If they have those two things, then I see nothing wrong with it being legal for a minor. So yes, if they are mature enough and have a parent or guardian with them, sex-change operations should be legal for them.

• Sex change for minors

• Sex change for minors

• Sex change for minors

• Sex change for minors

• Sex change for minors

• No a minor should not make that decision

I don't think minors have all the knowledge and experience needed to make the decision of a sex change. I'll admit I don't understand the mental thinkings of someone who has wanted one but I think that decision should be made after careful thinking and can only be done as an adult.

• They Could Make A Mistake

Even adults sometimes make mistakes with sex change operations. There was a man I read about who thought he wanted to be a woman. He got a sex change operation. He hated it. They were able to sort of restore him back to a man. He takes testosterone and androgen now and had his boob job undone but he's stuck with a vagina because he decided phalloplasty to get a 'penis' that won't even work or be sensitive wasn't worth it.
    Teenagers are still figuring out who they are. So are many adults but at least at that age you have more insight into this fact and are more able to realize "wait a minute, I feel like I might want this, but this is permanent, I need to know myself better before I go through with this." Teenagers are often overconfident about what they think they want for themselves until they do it and regret it.

• No,

but only because of the fact that the surgery could have a higher risk of harming the child, because he or she is not matured yet. After the minor has gone through puberty, then absolutely he or she should be allowed to get the change. As a minor, they should have the parent's consent first.

• Sex Change Operations Should Not be Legal For Minors

Parents should be responsible for the health of their child until they are of legal age to vote, 18. Under the age of 18 your health is primarily at the discretion of your parents, who know what is best for you. Minors can't have that kind of authority over their body because they are ignorant and irresponsible.

• No, minors should not make such an important decision.

I don't believe that minors are allowed to make any surgical decisions for themselves but instead require the signature of a parent, legal guardian or court of law. In that case an adult is making the decision in the best interest of the child. A decision to have a sex-change operation is fundamentally different than other operations because it involves one's self-concept and that is not a decision that can be made by somebody for you, and as a minor you are not mature enough to make it for yourself.

• Sex-change is a Serious Decision that should wait until Adulthood

The right to change sex is a serious decision that should not be taken lightly. It should absolutely be available to people who feel that their gender and sex do not match up. However, making a hasty decision on such an issue is problematic. It is sometimes hard to ask, but youth need to wait until adulthood to make such a life-altering decision. Even with the help of a parent, it can be the wrong choice. In fact, many transgender people eventually realize that they are happy with their bodies and themselves, and do not need a sex-change to affirm themselves. This path is not for everyone, but it should not be made too quickly. Therefore sex-changes should be legal and encouraged to adults, but children and teenagers should

• Hard to believe this is a debate

No it shouldn't and I'm not going to explain why because it's common sense. Anyone who does this to their child should be jailed for child abuse it is just that simple. Research older transgender people who did this years ago, their experiences speak for themselves. It should be illegal, period.

• Ff ds f

Uhlbh uhk bhjbk bjhk hbhbb b j kjb k hk k hbhb k m k mk m k lk k k k k k kk k kk kk kkk k k kk kk k kk k kkk k kk k k kl h h hjkk jkkh uihi kjnkj hjkh j kh

• Destruction of Family

Do parents receive a life-time shock when they come come home to find Sonny is now a Sissy, thanks to generous Obama Health Care, paid for by medicare!!
    Without approval or knowledge, this can happen and is happening in Several states, right NOW! Wake up, folks,
    and see what's happening to the USA's American Dream.
    If you see your family destroyed, who can you blame,
    your child or the "advisor" from Planned Parenthood?
    This sex-change cannot be "un-done"; It is a lifetime
    decision by a child and will destroy his family, lifetime!

• You really don't want a kid making that mistake.

Sex-change operations should be illegal for anyone under the age of 18. Having a sex change is a big decision, one in which an experienced mind needs to make. Kids shouldn't be left to make that decision on their own. Now am I saying a boy under 18 can't act like a girl? No. Am I saying a girl under 18 can't act like a boy? No. Those kinds of decisions are decisions that can be easily reversed. But kids having the decision on changing their physical body to a different sex is not a good idea. They should not be allowed to make a mistake like that as a child that they will regret in the future. Not every person will regret it, but I just believe that 18 is the right age at which one can make an educated decision toward a sex change.