Should sex education in schools discuss relationships and violence?

• Sex can also be violence.

Sex is important for our specimen. But, not teaching children the social aspects of sex and only the physical aspects? No. Sex is important like I said, both physically and socially. If we didn't teach children about molestation, harrassment or rape, what would they do? What if they happened to get into an abusive relationship? What would they do? What if the school didn't teach them about rape? What would they do if they didn't know rape was a crime? It is definitely important to teach children the violence that can follow in a relationship with sexual activity. ESPECIALLY, if it's abusive.

• Sex can also be violence.

• Yes, they should.

Sure, sex education is used to teach about the dangers of diseases and things of that nature. But relationships are important to learn about because when someone is in a relationship, sexual intercourse occurs. These relationships can also lead to violence, and without the proper knowledge, our children will never learn how to protect themselves.

• Yes, they should.

We cannot just teach children about the biology of sex without teaching them the social aspects of it also. I believe we already do teach children about inappropriate touching, and sexually transmittable diseases. What would be the harm in discussing the various ways that sex can be abusive or violent? If we don't, wouldn't children who have been exposed to sexual violence be more confused and believe this is something that must be hidden and not discussed?

• Yes, They Should

Sex involves a whole lot more than just anatomy procreation. Those are important to learn as well, but we need to recognize the fact that sex involves emotions, relationships, and personal interactions too. We need to educate our children on what these can mean and what they may possibly face. It is important for children to understand what is healthy and what in unacceptable in a relationship so they can recognize those features for themselves in the future.

• NO

Sexual education is to teach kids about sex and safe practices. I don't really see how it can be appropriate for kids who are just learning the ins and outs of the basic mechanics of sex to be learning about the more complicated matters associated with it. Relationships and violence can be complex subjects, and I don't really think that kids that are learning the basics really are going to have the mental capability to understand those complexities; I think that such talk will only confuse them.

More than that, I don't really think that it's appropriate for such material to be taught to children by their teachers or government appointed staff. Those are complex things that involve social issues and values issues that are not appropriate for those who are not raising the children to be imparting upon them.

Relationship issues and values are issues for parents to be addressing, not the school. I realize that there are many parents who will not address these issues and some children who will go without because of this fact. That still does not make it the schools' place to step in.