• More than communicating with deaf people

Sign language is used for communicating with deaf people and yes, it may be a small percentage of the population. But doing research on this topic, there are many people with disabilities who also use ASL to communicate with us. People with down syndrome, autism, cerebral palsy, aphasia and other language delays and impairments use ASL just as well. Sign language is not a difficult language, and school are not by any means trying to make you fluent in this language, just teach people enough to be able to have a basic ability to communicate with all those who need help with speech production. The deaf community are proud to be deaf just like the hearing community is proud to be hearing, which is why they deny cochlear implants and having to start from scratch and learn how to speak English which takes years and years to learn. I think we need to humble ourselves and take the opportunity to learn ASL (at least have a basic knowledge and learn a few signs) because if benefits those around us, may it be deaf or disabled people. It truly is the least we can do.

Posted by: crg5
  • Anyone could go deaf

One day you have children and one of your children are deaf but you don't know ASL, what do you do with this deaf child. Its probably too late to learn now because ASL is too hard to learn. Also ASL makes your brain think better and it makes you more aware of other peoples body gestures. ASL can also be "spoken" by infants before they can even speak so it makes it easier for them to communicate

• Should be taught

So when you run into a deaf or dumb person you know how to communicate with them and try to talk to them but you can´t if you don´t know sign language so just try in to learn sign language i would feel so stupid if i tried to talk to them and i cant

• Yes, absolutely, yes.

I'm autistic. I'm often in a situation where it puts me almost in pain to verbally speak. If I knew sign language, and those around me did, I would be able to communicate this as well as what I need without speaking.
    And how are deaf and mute children supposed to communicate with their peers if their peers don't know the one language they can use?

• Yes of course!!

Why shouldn't they ??? Imagine being deaf, you'd be a very lonely kid if you had no one to talk to !! If kids are taught sign language then it does not only give them a fun learning opportunity but would also let them help a deaf person if they needed to !! You never know if you'll come across a deaf person who is lost or needs help !!

• Yes I definitely think so.

Sign language Is fun to learn and honestly quite simple to learn. There are many other reasons as to why I think this and one is that it provides the opportunity of becoming an A.S.L. More social skills. It would provide social skills because you would be able to talk to a variety of people. It is interactive and sometimes is mandatory .

• Yes for ASL

I say yes because my deaf sister in law and I cant talk. This might happen to some body to. We have to write down everything when she babysits me and my brothers. It gets tiring and i would like to talk without writing down what i want to say.

• ASL should be taught in schools because...

I am 13 and have met more than 4 people that are deaf and i know how to communicate with them if they need something. ASL in schools is helpful even though i taught myself you never know who you will meet in this bug world so yes ASL should me taught in schools.

• Because I said so

Cause i said so
    and because I said so.................. LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOM G ghm hd d d d d d d d d f f f g g g h h h h h j j j jk k k

• Isn't worth it

Why spend so many hours on something so stupid. Deaf people are so hypocritical, the hearing people make something to heel their disability (a cochlear implant) and the majority of them just reject it and throw it away. You live in our world so if you want to survive, then get a hearing aid or cochlear implant. If you don't, then don't expect any changes.

• Im sm sm

Gf gf gf fg fg fg fg fg f fg fg g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g

• Time and funding is finite

With school scores in the US at appalling lows, funding and time should be focused on more applicable skills. Given that .38% of the US population are deaf, the benefit is infinitesimal for the cost. Use the students' and teachers' time well and train them in practical skills, or at least a language that is used by at least 1% of the population.

• It would be a little hypocritical

To be honest I totally think everyone should learn sign language, any language in fact. It would be awesome and help children learn so many other things.

The only reason I choose this side is because you look up the opinion for should every child be required to learn native american and you will find its a lot of no's . Learn the background of your country and teach your children before you teach them sign language

• No It Shouldn't

I do not believe sign language should be taught to children. I think the concept on sign language is important to relate to children and it is important for them to understand what it is, but the time it would take to fully teach it, really needs to spent on learning English, learning reading and math, and other required subjects. Sign language is important but many people will live their life without any real use for sign language. I'm 30 years old and I've never been in a situation where I needed it.