• Its a smart idea

I think its a good idea my mom is deaf and she did not have that in school people used to make funny of her in school and my brother said that he felt bad for her. Also i think it would be a good idea because they could help people that need it

• Imagine you woke up one day and couldn't hear anything.

You get out of bed late because for some reason you couldn't hear your alarm. You go into working you can see people moving there lips and gesturing to you . But you weren't taught in school sign language . How would you feel? You'd feel helpless. Sign language needs to be taught in school.

• American Sign Language should be offered in school.

Kids all over the USA and all around the world are either born deaf, or gradually become hearing impaired. Having ASL in schools allows children with these disabilities to have as much of a "normal" life as they can, going to a public school with kids that live around them. Also, the cost is less for parents, because they wont have to pay extra fees for their child to go to a private deaf school.

• The benefit of sign language

In 1620 Juan Pablo de bonet created sign language to communicate with the deaf. It is shown that more and more people are now born deaf or go deaf. Having a way to communicate with loved ones orto help out a friend is very important. And more ways sign language is being used is to talk to people with a diffrent language.

• Students in public school

My younger sister (13) has to go to a school for the deaf an hour away because 1) she could not make friends in public school because they couldnt comunicate easily 2) there was not an interpreter that could teach her and to help her the ways she needed help 3)she felt out of place here because students AND teachers both couldnt talk to her. This how they choose not to wear a cochlear it is because they feel out of place and strangers question them on what it is, and half of them either try to sign and completely mess the sentence up or give them a disgusted look

• It engages both sides of the mind

When you are learning English you are only using one side of your actual brain but if you are only using one side of your brain the opposite side. If you combine learning sign language and English together you would actually be using both sides of your brain at the same time

• Of course it should

I have been doing sign language since i was a baby and it has blessed me so much.. I can easily communicate with someone that is deaf and i can help teach hearing people who are regularly in contact with deaf people that dont know asl.. It should definitly be taught

• It should be taught

I think it should because my sister is deaf and I had to learn a little and then we stopped learning. Ever since then I have wanted to learn more but no one has enough to teach me so I never got taught more. And I am worried that if she can not hear at all anymore how will I communicate at all. So I think that it should be taught in schools if the kids want to learn it! But it has to be like Spanish where they could sign up for it.

• Really good thing to learn

Think everybody should at least know the basics. Ive always had an interest in sign and went to college to learn it. Im not brilliant at it but i would hope i could at least have a conversation with somebody plus you never know it could maybe save somebodys life if the deaf person took ill at least if you understood them you could help them.

D maybe save somebodys life if they took ill

• It gives students a way to communicate with Students that are deaf or hard of hearing.

I am hard of hearing and I think it would be a good thing if I have re learned sign language. I think it should be taught to children because it would be a good language and is a way to be able to communicate with the deaf/hearing impaired community. Thanks

• Isn't worth it

Why spend so many hours on something so stupid. Deaf people are so hypocritical, the hearing people make something to heel their disability (a cochlear implant) and the majority of them just reject it and throw it away. You live in our world so if you want to survive, then get a hearing aid or cochlear implant. If you don't, then don't expect any changes.

• Im sm sm

Gf gf gf fg fg fg fg fg f fg fg g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g

• Time and funding is finite

With school scores in the US at appalling lows, funding and time should be focused on more applicable skills. Given that .38% of the US population are deaf, the benefit is infinitesimal for the cost. Use the students' and teachers' time well and train them in practical skills, or at least a language that is used by at least 1% of the population.

• It would be a little hypocritical

To be honest I totally think everyone should learn sign language, any language in fact. It would be awesome and help children learn so many other things.

The only reason I choose this side is because you look up the opinion for should every child be required to learn native american and you will find its a lot of no's . Learn the background of your country and teach your children before you teach them sign language

• No It Shouldn't

I do not believe sign language should be taught to children. I think the concept on sign language is important to relate to children and it is important for them to understand what it is, but the time it would take to fully teach it, really needs to spent on learning English, learning reading and math, and other required subjects. Sign language is important but many people will live their life without any real use for sign language. I'm 30 years old and I've never been in a situation where I needed it.

• It Shouldn't because:

1.Firstly the power of 'Words' will be underestimated
    2.Secondly every student's body language will be more or less the
    same as they are learning it from the same teacher,enviroment etc...
    3.This course can be replaced/substituted with something more
    beneficial like foreign language courses etc...
    4.Tbh: this is just a waste of time!