• Students in public school

My younger sister (13) has to go to a school for the deaf an hour away because 1) she could not make friends in public school because they couldnt comunicate easily 2) there was not an interpreter that could teach her and to help her the ways she needed help 3)she felt out of place here because students AND teachers both couldnt talk to her. This how they choose not to wear a cochlear it is because they feel out of place and strangers question them on what it is, and half of them either try to sign and completely mess the sentence up or give them a disgusted look

• It engages both sides of the mind

When you are learning English you are only using one side of your actual brain but if you are only using one side of your brain the opposite side. If you combine learning sign language and English together you would actually be using both sides of your brain at the same time

• Of course it should

I have been doing sign language since i was a baby and it has blessed me so much.. I can easily communicate with someone that is deaf and i can help teach hearing people who are regularly in contact with deaf people that dont know asl.. It should definitly be taught

• It should be taught

I think it should because my sister is deaf and I had to learn a little and then we stopped learning. Ever since then I have wanted to learn more but no one has enough to teach me so I never got taught more. And I am worried that if she can not hear at all anymore how will I communicate at all. So I think that it should be taught in schools if the kids want to learn it! But it has to be like Spanish where they could sign up for it.

• Really good thing to learn

Think everybody should at least know the basics. Ive always had an interest in sign and went to college to learn it. Im not brilliant at it but i would hope i could at least have a conversation with somebody plus you never know it could maybe save somebodys life if the deaf person took ill at least if you understood them you could help them.

D maybe save somebodys life if they took ill

• It gives students a way to communicate with Students that are deaf or hard of hearing.

I am hard of hearing and I think it would be a good thing if I have re learned sign language. I think it should be taught to children because it would be a good language and is a way to be able to communicate with the deaf/hearing impaired community. Thanks

• It is a smart idea to have them

Not everyone needs it but it would be nice to the asl community if schools taught it. It would make it easier to talk to deaf people. Some people say they should just get hearing aids but they don't work for everyone. They should at least be an elective in schools so that the people who want to learn asl can. Im not deaf but i personally am learning it so i can talk to deaf people and not be held back by it. It is fun and a help to the sign language community if sign language is taught. It might take a while to learn everything but even just learning the basics would be a huge help

• How would you feel if you were deaf?

I feel like we should be taught ASL in schools because we could be able to communicate with people with other disabilities like autism, because sometimes people with disabilities include speaking. We should be able to communicate with deaf people and with people with other disabilities as well. So that people don't feel isolated

• Most definitely !

I want to be able to talk with my friend who is deaf without him having to watch his interpreter so he can join in with the convo like normal without any arrangements just like a normal convo.
    Also if I have to treat a person who cant hear it is much better to be able to sign it

• Benefits of Sign Language in High Schools

High schools can offer more formal language training in sign language to students who are interested in learning it. Starting or continuing the study of sign language prepares students to study it in college and to prepare for a career as a sign language interpreter or as a teacher of the deaf. Some high schools like the ones in Temecula, California have growing sign language programs with up to three years of sign language offered. The classes also teach about deaf culture. This gives the students the opportunity to understand the challenges the deaf community faces, and the opportunity to become advocates in the program. These classes meet the foreign language requirement for both high schools and universities.
    Teaching sign language in both elementary and high schools can be beneficial to both hearing and deaf students. It can help to bolster communication between the students, and prevent mainstreamed deaf students from feeling isolated at their schools. It brings awareness to the deaf culture throughout the community. It also helps the students to learn a foreign language, to become bilingual. This can be beneficial when they choose to learn a third language and in high thinking skills. If sign language is not currently available at your school, you can contact your school board to request that sign language be taught as a foreign language. Additionally, you can look into community classes if your child is interested in learning sign language and cannot do it through school at this time.

• Isn't worth it

Why spend so many hours on something so stupid. Deaf people are so hypocritical, the hearing people make something to heel their disability (a cochlear implant) and the majority of them just reject it and throw it away. You live in our world so if you want to survive, then get a hearing aid or cochlear implant. If you don't, then don't expect any changes.

• Im sm sm

Gf gf gf fg fg fg fg fg f fg fg g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g

• Time and funding is finite

With school scores in the US at appalling lows, funding and time should be focused on more applicable skills. Given that .38% of the US population are deaf, the benefit is infinitesimal for the cost. Use the students' and teachers' time well and train them in practical skills, or at least a language that is used by at least 1% of the population.

• It would be a little hypocritical

To be honest I totally think everyone should learn sign language, any language in fact. It would be awesome and help children learn so many other things.

The only reason I choose this side is because you look up the opinion for should every child be required to learn native american and you will find its a lot of no's . Learn the background of your country and teach your children before you teach them sign language

• No It Shouldn't

I do not believe sign language should be taught to children. I think the concept on sign language is important to relate to children and it is important for them to understand what it is, but the time it would take to fully teach it, really needs to spent on learning English, learning reading and math, and other required subjects. Sign language is important but many people will live their life without any real use for sign language. I'm 30 years old and I've never been in a situation where I needed it.

• It Shouldn't because:

1.Firstly the power of 'Words' will be underestimated
    2.Secondly every student's body language will be more or less the
    same as they are learning it from the same teacher,enviroment etc...
    3.This course can be replaced/substituted with something more
    beneficial like foreign language courses etc...
    4.Tbh: this is just a waste of time!