• Some children have no choice to need to learn the language or not.

I think that ASL should be taught in schools because there is a lot of children who are born deaf and their parents possibly don't think that they are having as hard a time as they actually are. I think we need to support these children and help them learn a way to communicate, if everyone at the school is learning the same language then the deaf children will have an easy way to talk to one another and then do not get isolated like they are being now. We need to take action and help the child being isolated with no choice to fix it.

• Yes It should

The Department of Education found out that people can be deaf that varies to 42,000 to 700,000. But there are 70,000 to 100,000 are actually deaf. This second language “sign language” will have an increase of developing a child's fine motor skills. And also sign language is spreading around the world.

• It should be taught .

I think Sign language should be taught in schools because it has so many benefits, one is that you can talk to the deaf, another is that it's a neat skill to learn! And many people are deaf or hearing-impaired so it would be very beneficial to learn in school.

• Yes it should

Could help a lot with people who cant hear and people who can. It could be benefited in a job and in a life or death situation anyone can use it at anytime it would also be a cool talent to show friends and impressive for new jobs on your own!

• It should 100% be taught.

If this was taught in schools, or even an option to have this taught in schools, there would not be such a barrier between the deaf/hearing loss and the hearing community. It should be started from when we are children. That way if a foreign language was wanted to learn, one could easily do all 3.

• Its a smart idea

I think its a good idea my mom is deaf and she did not have that in school people used to make funny of her in school and my brother said that he felt bad for her. Also i think it would be a good idea because they could help people that need it

• Imagine you woke up one day and couldn't hear anything.

You get out of bed late because for some reason you couldn't hear your alarm. You go into working you can see people moving there lips and gesturing to you . But you weren't taught in school sign language . How would you feel? You'd feel helpless. Sign language needs to be taught in school.

• American Sign Language should be offered in school.

Kids all over the USA and all around the world are either born deaf, or gradually become hearing impaired. Having ASL in schools allows children with these disabilities to have as much of a "normal" life as they can, going to a public school with kids that live around them. Also, the cost is less for parents, because they wont have to pay extra fees for their child to go to a private deaf school.

• The benefit of sign language

In 1620 Juan Pablo de bonet created sign language to communicate with the deaf. It is shown that more and more people are now born deaf or go deaf. Having a way to communicate with loved ones orto help out a friend is very important. And more ways sign language is being used is to talk to people with a diffrent language.

• Students in public school

My younger sister (13) has to go to a school for the deaf an hour away because 1) she could not make friends in public school because they couldnt comunicate easily 2) there was not an interpreter that could teach her and to help her the ways she needed help 3)she felt out of place here because students AND teachers both couldnt talk to her. This how they choose not to wear a cochlear it is because they feel out of place and strangers question them on what it is, and half of them either try to sign and completely mess the sentence up or give them a disgusted look

• Isn't worth it

Why spend so many hours on something so stupid. Deaf people are so hypocritical, the hearing people make something to heel their disability (a cochlear implant) and the majority of them just reject it and throw it away. You live in our world so if you want to survive, then get a hearing aid or cochlear implant. If you don't, then don't expect any changes.

• Im sm sm

Gf gf gf fg fg fg fg fg f fg fg g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g

• Time and funding is finite

With school scores in the US at appalling lows, funding and time should be focused on more applicable skills. Given that .38% of the US population are deaf, the benefit is infinitesimal for the cost. Use the students' and teachers' time well and train them in practical skills, or at least a language that is used by at least 1% of the population.

• It would be a little hypocritical

To be honest I totally think everyone should learn sign language, any language in fact. It would be awesome and help children learn so many other things.

The only reason I choose this side is because you look up the opinion for should every child be required to learn native american and you will find its a lot of no's . Learn the background of your country and teach your children before you teach them sign language

• No It Shouldn't

I do not believe sign language should be taught to children. I think the concept on sign language is important to relate to children and it is important for them to understand what it is, but the time it would take to fully teach it, really needs to spent on learning English, learning reading and math, and other required subjects. Sign language is important but many people will live their life without any real use for sign language. I'm 30 years old and I've never been in a situation where I needed it.

• 360,000,000 people world wide are reported to have serious disabling hearing loss - ASL is the 6th most used language

Research indicated that children who learned sign language at a young age had higher IQs than their peers who didn't learn sigh language. Also, those who are deaf can be included and hearing children who learn it are more likely to have better relationships with family and friends as they understand concepts like compassion and inclusion.
    Please read - "Why We Need To Teach ASL in School" Odyssey at SUNY Geneseo and many other articles available to enlighten you on this important topic

• It Shouldn't because:

1.Firstly the power of 'Words' will be underestimated
    2.Secondly every student's body language will be more or less the
    same as they are learning it from the same teacher,enviroment etc...
    3.This course can be replaced/substituted with something more
    beneficial like foreign language courses etc...
    4.Tbh: this is just a waste of time!