• It should be tought .

Cuz i am a 8th grader and i have 3 deaf people in my school and i have a friend that is deaf and she loves when people learn to sign it took me 1 1/2 years to learn most of all sign language i now want to be a sign language interpreter thanks to sign language

• Yes most children and teens want to learn

Most deaf children are born to hearing families and it will be easier to communicate with them if you learnt sign language previously and children should be able to communicate hearing aids and implants don't always work

I am doing a speech on this at school it's being filmed so I might sign it to

• ASL is taught in some schools.

I have two children. In their early stages of education, they both had a teacher whose child was deaf. She taught the children in her class basic sign language. My kids both loved it and really were excited every day when they came home to show us their new lessons taught.

As they progressed to High School, they both took ASL offered to them as a language class and really excelled with it. One of the lessons was to pick out a popular pop song and learn it with signing. Then at their own option, get up in front of the class and have the song play in the background while they signed to it. None of the kids in the class declined to sign. They were all excited to have this opportunity to learn a language other than the usual ones offered.

And to this day they are able to read signing when they see it. And are happy to have had a chance to learn it.

• Not just for the deaf.

Not just for talking to deaf people. Sign language is the only physical form of communication. When visiting other countries communication can be a problem. But if all first world countries were to have sign language taught in school, communication would be so much easier as we would all speak the same secondary language.

• Communication is vital as a child/teenager

Kids of the ages between preschool and high school need to be able to communicate with other people their age. For kids who are deaf or mute, they cannot as easily communicate with others because of the language barrier. Kids who rely on sign language need to know that they are included and understood among their peers in this essential growing period.

• ASL should be offered as a language in school

As of 2014, 360 million people worldwide has moderate to profound hearing loss. 36 million American adults, or 1 out of 10, report some degree of hearing loss. About 2 to 3 out of every 1,000 children in the United States are born with a detectable level of hearing loss in one or both ears.
    These are major statistics, the odds of you encountering someone who's deaf is 1 in 50. Learning the basics of ASL would be beneficial to that, and just learning the basics isn't going to kill you.

• I totally agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am taking a sign language class in college and I love it! It is a beautiful language and I think that everyone should be a part of it. It will definitely take some time to learn, but I promise you, it will be worth every second! Seriously, go try it!

• Yes, yes, yes, yes

My brother is deaf so my family and i use sign language everyday and he has to go to a disabled school and people also make fun of him because he cant speak or hear them.
    O totally agree with sign language should be taught to children. I am doing an essay on sign language so if any one has any comments please do so

• Some children have no choice to need to learn the language or not.

I think that ASL should be taught in schools because there is a lot of children who are born deaf and their parents possibly don't think that they are having as hard a time as they actually are. I think we need to support these children and help them learn a way to communicate, if everyone at the school is learning the same language then the deaf children will have an easy way to talk to one another and then do not get isolated like they are being now. We need to take action and help the child being isolated with no choice to fix it.

• Yes It should

The Department of Education found out that people can be deaf that varies to 42,000 to 700,000. But there are 70,000 to 100,000 are actually deaf. This second language “sign language” will have an increase of developing a child's fine motor skills. And also sign language is spreading around the world.

• Isn't worth it

Why spend so many hours on something so stupid. Deaf people are so hypocritical, the hearing people make something to heel their disability (a cochlear implant) and the majority of them just reject it and throw it away. You live in our world so if you want to survive, then get a hearing aid or cochlear implant. If you don't, then don't expect any changes.

• Im sm sm

Gf gf gf fg fg fg fg fg f fg fg g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g

• Time and funding is finite

With school scores in the US at appalling lows, funding and time should be focused on more applicable skills. Given that .38% of the US population are deaf, the benefit is infinitesimal for the cost. Use the students' and teachers' time well and train them in practical skills, or at least a language that is used by at least 1% of the population.

• It would be a little hypocritical

To be honest I totally think everyone should learn sign language, any language in fact. It would be awesome and help children learn so many other things.

The only reason I choose this side is because you look up the opinion for should every child be required to learn native american and you will find its a lot of no's . Learn the background of your country and teach your children before you teach them sign language

• No It Shouldn't

I do not believe sign language should be taught to children. I think the concept on sign language is important to relate to children and it is important for them to understand what it is, but the time it would take to fully teach it, really needs to spent on learning English, learning reading and math, and other required subjects. Sign language is important but many people will live their life without any real use for sign language. I'm 30 years old and I've never been in a situation where I needed it.

• ASL is taught in some schools.

• 360,000,000 people world wide are reported to have serious disabling hearing loss - ASL is the 6th most used language

Research indicated that children who learned sign language at a young age had higher IQs than their peers who didn't learn sigh language. Also, those who are deaf can be included and hearing children who learn it are more likely to have better relationships with family and friends as they understand concepts like compassion and inclusion.
    Please read - "Why We Need To Teach ASL in School" Odyssey at SUNY Geneseo and many other articles available to enlighten you on this important topic

• It Shouldn't because:

1.Firstly the power of 'Words' will be underestimated
    2.Secondly every student's body language will be more or less the
    same as they are learning it from the same teacher,enviroment etc...
    3.This course can be replaced/substituted with something more
    beneficial like foreign language courses etc...
    4.Tbh: this is just a waste of time!