Should smoking be banned on all college campuses?

• Smoking is very very bad for our health.

I think smoking should be banned from college campuses to make the college campus a better environment for students to go to college. You can develop lung cancer if smoke. Smoking is not a good idea and it also hurts your body. It can cause you to have a shorter life to live that is one of the limits of smoking the other is lung cancer there is many other limits of smoking but I'm not going to go into that much detail and list every single limit of smoking.

• Smoking should be banned

Every day I have to deal with smoking on my campus. As a non smoker I have the right to not have to deal with stepping on cigarettes and dealing with people smoking right outside the entrances to the buildings. I have to hold my breath as I walk from building to building so I don't get cancer from the smokers nasty second hand smoke.

• Ban smoking on

College campus. Nonsmokers should not have to inhale smoke while having luck, walking or simply sitting in their car. It is so invasive and needs to stop. If you can not go a few hours without a smoke you need help. You may not care about your health but mines matters to me.

• Healthy living .

Every one should have a chance to live in an area where their air is clean from a bunch of chemicals that cause many diseases. People deserve to live longer and enjoy life without a disease caused by smoking. I also believe that college should be a safer place not a dead zone.

• Smoking should be banned

Smoking does not only harm one's health but also other people's health. Don't be too selfish, think of others too. That is the problem of most of us today we only think about ourselves. If you want to live a healthy life, if you don't want your sisters, brothers or anyone you love to suffer, then stop smoking. Remember, you can choose to do all the things that you want to do, but you can not choose the consequences of your acts.

• Yes, smoking should be banned

Smoking has been proven to have many health risks associated with it, not only for the smoker but for those around the smoker as well. Smoking in a person's home or personal vehicle is one thing, but smoking in public locations including college campuses puts other people's health at risk. It is unfair to subject them to second hand smoke when they choose to not smoke.

• Make all college campuses smoke free.

We should, on a global level, be constantly working to make smoking as socially unacceptable as possible. Part of that would definitely include banning smoking in public places. Since we've made good progress on banning indoor smoking in most public buildings, such as those on college campuses, it only makes sense to extend it to all areas on campus as well.

• Yes, smoking on campuses should be banned.

Smoking on college campuses should be banned. When I went to college, students would smoke right outside of the door of buildings, so the smoke still went in the building, I inhaled it, and it got on my clothing. It's dangerous to other people's health, and campuses are sometimes cramped locations, so the smoke impacts other students. Banning it would also possibly help smokers quit, since they would be unable to smoke much at all, if they lived on campus.

• Smoking gets on my nerves

I am sick of walking into annoying smokers everyday I go to the college. The should not be allowed with 100 ft of the campus!!

I really do hate things like smoking. It is so pointless, damaging and costs a lot of money which could be used for helping the poor!!

• Yes and should be

Smoking is harmful to everyone health and puffing out smoke just harms everyone else health. Not to mention fires in trash cans happen because people throw a lit cigarette in the trash can. Then you have to call the fire department. Also you see cigarette buds all over the ground and makes the campus look nasty. Any how my college campus had band smoking anywhere on campus, so you have to get off campus and smoke you cigarette else where. I recommend smokers getting electronic cigarettes more safe for everyone.

• Idealistic vs. Realistic

My school recently held an open forum on whether or not smoking should be allowed on campus. I have attended other schools where tobacco use was banned on campus. The idea was that everyone would all of a sudden quit smoking. The result (in reality), was the removal of ashtrays and people just throwing cigarette butts on the ground. As the vast majority of students are 18+ (adults), they should be able to decide if they want to smoke or to quit. I feel that smoking areas are a reasonable alternative. The reasoning for not having designated areas is that A) smoking is bad B) smoking offends people and, (after lots of questions) C) The school wouldn't qualify for specific grants. Reason A should be left up to the adult. Reason B would open pandora's box for endless banning on campus. Reason C is such a joke (likely why it is often hidden). If you don't smoke, then don't smoke! Don't tell other people what to do or you open the door for anyone to tell you what to do!

• Tobacco Free Altogether?

I don't know why there cant just be smoking areas? If they're far enough away, you won't be breathing it in. I'm a smoker and I feel like I'm part of a culture that is looked down upon. It's not okay for someone to discriminate against a person for making the choice to follow a religion, but it is okay to discriminate against me because i choose to smoke? The real problem is that many campuses are 100% tobacco free, including chewing tobacco. Somebody chewing tobacco produces nothing in the air and does not effect anybody else whatsoever. If colleges really care about the students health maybe they would get rid of Sodexo (many students are FORCED to pay for a meal plan) with their low-grade, processed cafeteria food and feed students something with nutritional value. Maybe don't sell students junk food in the dining hall? Oh wait, I'm an adult and it's my choice to eat junk food, just like it's my choice to use tobacco.

• Tobacco Free Is Ridiculous

• Tobacco Free Is Ridiculous

• I feel discriminated against

I am over 18 and have the right to smoke. It's not socially acceptable to show favor or hate based on one's beliefs, race, gender, culture, religion, lifestyle, or sexual orientation. Smoking is a part of my lifestyle and it's something that I have chosen to do. By banning smoking on college campuses, you are banning my lifestyle and therefore discriminating against me, which shouldn't be socially acceptable.

• Designated Smoking Areas

There's a big difference in banning smoking inside than outside. It's easily avoided if they're confined to out of the way spots on the campus, therefore nonsmokers won't breathe it in. It's going way to far to take away their rights to smoke. Going off campus multiple times a day to smoke is a huge hassle while walking around a smoking section is not.

• Designated Smoking Areas are Reasonable

Designated smoking areas (outdoors and in separate ventilated space outdoors) give smokers the ability to smoke without offending others.

This isn't about protecting non-smokers health as outdoors smoke present no health risk and indoors second hand smoke provides a negligible risk. This is about preserving choice and liberty and balancing the liberties of individuals and small groups with the preferences of a majority.

• I am addicted to it

I do not think it is a good idea to band smoking because smokers have been smoking for a long time . Also smokers do need to smoke between classes and it going to be harsh on them if they cant . That remind my of my country when thy been so rode agents snookers

• No I have my rights

I have been smoking since i was 15 years old and i am now 18 attending college and my campus is smoke free so therefore in have to drive down the road to the gas station everytime i want to smoke a cigarette. I believe that it is limiting my rights as a person because smoking is a legal activity. I also believe that they should have a certain section of campus to smoke at because i do respect those around me when it comes to smoking.

• Designate a smoke-friendly zone; it's really not that difficult!

My school's initial "ban" restricted smoking to certain areas. This was completely accepted by all smokers here. Nobody complained.

Then, they amended the ban to be campus wide (including personal vehicles). Are you kidding me? We spend 6+ hours here a day. Restrict smoking to certain zones (hell, the edge of campus is fine...This is a small school). Banning it entirely is absurd.

Moreover, smokers now go on the town's sidewalk bordering campus but have nowhere to throw their butts. If you walk onto campus holding one, you risk being "charged" with violating the ban. So they end up in the street. The school won't even put a receptacle by this sidewalk because it "condones" the habit.

It's ridiculous.

jonik says2014-05-17T06:07:32.917
Another, important question is...Should so-called "tobacco products" be contaminated with residues of any of some 450 registered tobacco pesticides?....Not to mention carcinogenic radiation from Still Legal use of certain phosphate fertilizers, and dioxin-creating chlorine pesticids and chlorine-bleached paper, and hosts of unlabeled, untested, often toxic non-tobacco additives?
We aren't told that tobacco is the SIXTH Most pesticide intensive crop, or that inhalation of that stuff is the worst possible exposure path because of the high efficiency of the lungs.
To blame tobacco (a natural plant) or a smoker (primary victim of all that stuff) is an atrocity...A "healthful" con job by the very entities that contaminated and profited by smoking products.
We had some prohibitions of other natural things (cannabis, alcohol, etc.) and those were and continue to be disasters. Shall we go on to the next one?
The Prohibition re/ "smoking" must be against adulterating smoking products with ANY untested or known-deadly non-tobacco substances.
We don't even know yet if tobacco itself can possibly cause the harms known to be caused by typical Pesticide Pegs, Dioxin Dowels, or Radiation Rods.
References, and some editorial cartoons on the topic, at http://fauxbacco,blogspot.com