• What is stated above

I will be driving and a car in front of me is smoking and sometimes I can't get around the car and I have to inhale the trail of smoke the car is leaving behind. This happens on foot too, and I strongly believe that smoking ANYWHERE in public (i.E. Driving) should be made illegal with a fat ticket if violated. Smoking is not a right, it is a privilege and once that privilege starts impacting my freedom to smokeless air, Im done. What is even worse is that most smokers also carry a "I don't care" attitude so common courtesy is out of the question. Please make it illegal to smoke anywhere, with a $1,000 fine at least that is strictly enforced. You don't need a useless addiction to begin with.

• Why should the people who don't have a smoking habit be negatively affected by the actions of others?

Its illegal to smoke in certain facilities but what about parking lots or the benches near a park or outside of a restaurant or store?
    Our children, grandparents and us non smokers are forced to hold our breath when there is a smoker near by were forced to breathe in this harmful existence.

• Yes it should be illegal

I think all smoking in public should be illegal. The smell that accompanies a smoker, is left after they pass you by, is totally unacceptable in modern times. The dangers have been known for decades of the harm it does to smokers and passive smokers, not to mention what impression it gives to the children. It is common courtesy not to smoke where other people may have medical problems such as asthma and heart and lung conditions, it is not a right to smoke wherever you want, it is YOUR choice not MINE.

• Smoking can kill

I think smoking should be illegal all together because do you know how many people die from smoking cigaretts and cigars? A lot die from that. Do you know how many people die from second hand smoke? A lot do. It also caused lung caner which can kill you. That is why I think smoking should be illegal.

• Smoking can kill

• Public smoking shouldn't be allowed

Smoking encourages the youth that it is a good thing to smoke. While people say it helps stress they will have more stress when they get lung cancer..? So when they get lung cancer are they still going to smoke? Smokes can find many other ways to deal with stress!

• Yes it should be banned in public places because some people are allergic to smoke and smoking in public places is just disrespectful

Some people can even die because of the smoke.My opinion on that is that the police should arrest anyone who smoke in public places.Only foolish people would smoke in public places.I hate to see people smoking in public places..Smoking should be banned in public places.Thats my opinion and I thank you.

• Smoking should be banned because it causes lung cancer

Smoking should be illegal because people should not have to smell the disgusting scent of something that'll only do harm. Nobody would want their kids to inhale it, because they could be encouraged to start smoking. There should be controlled areas for smoking so other non-smokers won't have to deal with it.

• Yes, smoking in public areas should be illegal.

People should not have to smell the disgusting scent of something that'll only do harm. Nobody would want their kids to inhale it, because they could be encouraged to start smoking. There should be controlled areas for smoking so other non-smokers won't have to deal with it.

• Yes, public smoking should be outlawed

While no one would balk at a law forbidding public nudity, people do when it comes to smoking. While it is within a person's right to smoke, it is not within their right to impose their second hand smoke on others. Many small children, people with asthma and the elderly are very sensitive to the smell of smoke, not to mention the detrimental health impact cigarette smoke has on everyone. While it should not be necessary to impose restrictions where common courtesy should take over, time has shown that it is.

• It's there choice

So why should you be able to smoke wherever you want? Last time i checked i lived in a country called AMERICA where you have the right to do what makes you happy. Ok if you don't like smoking then don't stand next to me while i do it, its not like i'm blowing it into your face.

• No, but it should be limited.

As with liquor, which is not allowed to be consumed in most public places that are not eateries, the same should be with cigarettes. There need to be public spots where people can go to have their cigarettes. But they should not be smoked where the general public can be affected by second hand smoke.

• I say no

-New England journal of medicine in 1997, smoking probably has the effect of reducing overall health costs because smokers die earlier (live fast, die young)

-about 5.8 million people in Canada smoke regularly or occasionally, so it will be very hard to stop everyone

-there is too much money to be made from tobacco, an annual revenue from cigarettes is about $5,586,000,000( will affect economy a lot)

-In the 1920s the imperial federal government banned all consumption of alcohol. By the end of the decade the ban was repealed, because the ban had proven totally ineffective and had given rise to the infamous gangsters of the twenties whose main business was the distribution of alcohol to the masses

-Thousands of highly lucrative jobs in Tobacco Control would be lost.

• No, its not worth it.

Smoking helps people, when stressed, therefore decreasing the suicide rate, and depression. Not to mention all of the money coming from exports, and taxes that go to the schools, police force, colleges, and food to help feed the poor people. Sure, it might annoy people in public... but if every danger was banned there would be nothing in this world to do. you cant "ban" a kid from riding his bike. you cant "ban" a kid from climbing a tree. Some of the everyday things you do can be JUST as harmful as smoking, if not more... Take in for instance... cooking. You cause smoke, you cause gasses to be around which you breath in, its just the same thing. it happens everyday...

• Not completely.

I am fine with restricting smoking, particularly indoor smoking. There was nothing more unpleasant to me than trying to enjoy a meal in a restaurant and having to smell cigarette smoke, so I have very much enjoyed the pretty much total ban on smoking in restaurants. However, outside, on the street, away from confined spaces, people who smoke should still be able to.

• No, because choosing to smoke or not to smoke is an individual right.

It should not be illegal, but I am all for controlled and designated smoking areas. Non-smokers should not have to be forced to regularly deal with second hand smoke in public places, just as smokers should not have their right to smoke taken away. Smoking is a very unhealthy choice, but it is just that - a choice. Designated smoking areas ensure that smokers aren't bothering non-smokers, and also cut down on cigarette butt littering.

• No, the government should not infringe on individual freedoms

I personally feel that smoking cigarettes in public should not be illegal, because that would be an infringement on smokers' individual freedoms. In many states, cigarettes have already been outlawed in the majority of establishments, such as restaurants and bars. Making smoking in public illegal would be going way overboard with the government's ability to curtail citizens' personal choices.